Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been rejected from all 4 medical schools. I have no friends in school. My parents are ashamed of me and don't want me to take a gap year as they feel it's a 'year wasted'. I don't know how my teachers will grade me, I did really bad in previous mocks. I just want to disappear. Literally have 0 motivation.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are alternative means to get into medicine such as the pre-med route. My uni when I was doing my Biomedical Science degree offered it (UWE) to do it at Bristol if you done a load of extra work during your Biomedical Science first year. I didn’t apply and it is competitive but it is a possibility. 🙂
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The course is offered to those on the Biomedical Science course only (or at least it was about 4-5 years back). 🙂
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have been rejected from all 4 medical schools. I have no friends in school. My parents are ashamed of me and don't want me to take a gap year as they feel it's a 'year wasted'. I don't know how my teachers will grade me, I did really bad in previous mocks. I just want to disappear. Literally have 0 motivation.
Sorry to hear that I think a lot of people here (me included) can relate to having underwhelming results and have experience with rejection. It hurts a lot and I remember crying tons after wasting a year in A Levels, having got like 3 Us and an E or something. I felt like an utter failure, but then I tried a BTEC course at a local college and had way more success. I enjoyed it more, and it led to university (I got rejected from my other choices), which I've now graduated with a 2:2. Not the greatest degree in the world. I've always struggled with depression and have zero motivation, so I'll take the result considering where I've come from and what I've experienced

I guess my point is that one bad year isn't the end of the world. I thought it was for me, but I found an alternative route, and it helped me massively. Maybe you should look at alternatives if you're finding your course difficult. There's so many options out there.

And sorry to hear that you're finding it hard making friends. Are you getting yourself out there? Are there any school groups that you could partake in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads