Year 12 urgent help please or I'll fail...

Watch
Strawberry.21
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello there,
It's now March and I'm doing really badly in all 3 of my subjects maths, biology and geography. (I'm getting E's-U's in all 3).
I haven't put much effort into a-levels at all since I've been struggling with my mental health but I know it's my fault entirely for doing so poorly and I do regret it now
However, with our first set of proper mocks coming up in six weeks I have the chance to turn things around.
The problem is we're more than halfway through the year and I've literally done nothing (barely any work out of class, not paying attention in class) so part of me thinks there will be too much content for me to revise in such a short amount of time. Am I screwed then? Is it too late for me to turn things around and get As in these mocks? Was anyone else in this position and are now doing well? If so please could you give me some advice below as I would really appreciate it as I'm in a hopeless situation atm.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Strawberry.21)
Hello there,
It's now March and I'm doing really badly in all 3 of my subjects maths, biology and geography. (I'm getting E's-U's in all 3).
I haven't put much effort into a-levels at all since I've been struggling with my mental health but I know it's my fault entirely for doing so poorly and I do regret it now
However, with our first set of proper mocks coming up in six weeks I have the chance to turn things around.
The problem is we're more than halfway through the year and I've literally done nothing (barely any work out of class, not paying attention in class) so part of me thinks there will be too much content for me to revise in such a short amount of time. Am I screwed then? Is it too late for me to turn things around and get As in these mocks? Was anyone else in this position and are now doing well? If so please could you give me some advice below as I would really appreciate it as I'm in a hopeless
For Maths, work through the chapters on here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...2017&term=Main
Jonasaurus13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Strawberry.21)
Hello there,
The problem is we're more than halfway through the year and I've literally done nothing (barely any work out of class, not paying attention in class) so part of me thinks there will be too much content for me to revise in such a short amount of time. Am I screwed then? Is it too late for me to turn things around and get As in these mocks? Was anyone else in this position and are now doing well? If so please could you give me some advice below as I would really appreciate it as I'm in a hopeless situation atm.
The truth is probably no to getting A's in the mocks (dependant on the paper, because some Geo papers are ridiculously easy for everyone and some are insanely difficult) but just know that you don't have to get A's in these mocks. Of course, in an ideal situation getting high marks would be great, but given the circumstances just trying your best is the best thing and preparing as much as possible. Learning the content for geography is quite easy when you learn it through examples or case studies, which in themselves are really easy to understand. For example, Vik, Iceland, was my case study for a multi-hazardous environment, but through it I learnt about volcanoes (katla mainly), people's sense of place, glaciers and urban design. So I recommend going through the content and always trying to link what is being said with a case study or example to almost anchor the knowledge because then in the mocks, you can think of an example and you know how that relates to the concept or question so writing about it should be easier. That being said, if you don't get good grades this time around, you can always ask the teacher to help you go through stuff: they are there to help you and they enjoy teaching the subject they're doing, so they'll take the opportunity to help you. Personally, whenever I get a bad grade or mark, I use it to fuel my motivation to better myself because I never want to be associated with that mark again, which is a relatively good mindset to get into because it changes the focuses on the bad grade to what you can do with the grade you got. Good luck in your mocks, and don't stress too much about them, they are only mocks! ☺️
IlyaCambrdgYTube
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's definitely possible, but it won't be easy.

Here's what I'd recommend:
-memorise all the theory that you need to know. The textbooks you get provided should be good, and you can check if you know everything by checking the course specification
-you can use Anki flashcards to memorise the content, and I'd recommend the Pomodoro technique
-do past paper questions. I used either PMT or just from the exam board website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads