The Student Room Group

Taking the IELTS as an English Speaker

Hello, I got accepted to 4 Uk universities that require the IELTS with a score of 5.5 in each band and I needed to know if I should be worried about taking it? My first language is English and I'm from the US, but I've never taken an English proficiency test like the IELTS, so I'm not sure what to expect from it or if I should be worried? Any advice is helpful whether it's things I can study beforehand or just information about the test. Thank you!
Original post by Levelee
Hello, I got accepted to 4 Uk universities that require the IELTS with a score of 5.5 in each band and I needed to know if I should be worried about taking it? My first language is English and I'm from the US, but I've never taken an English proficiency test like the IELTS, so I'm not sure what to expect from it or if I should be worried? Any advice is helpful whether it's things I can study beforehand or just information about the test. Thank you!

Hi! You should not have to take the IELTS if your native language is American English. Reach out to these colleges individually to double check this requirement and let them know that you are a native speaker. The UCAS letters are generic, so the schools just need to hear from you about this. Shouldn’t be a big issue! Were did you apply? (Also American applying to UK schools, btw).
Reply 2
Original post by QG3.2.228
Hi! You should not have to take the IELTS if your native language is American English. Reach out to these colleges individually to double check this requirement and let them know that you are a native speaker. The UCAS letters are generic, so the schools just need to hear from you about this. Shouldn’t be a big issue! Were did you apply? (Also American applying to UK schools, btw).

Hey, I think it's required to have the IELTS Exam to get the UK VISA and it said it was required on the Uni's website, unfortunately. I applied to the University of Hertfordshire, Staffordshire University, Brunel University, and the University of Brighton!
Hi @Levelee
Try not to worry too much, the British Council has a free IELTS practice test on their website you could make use of
https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/take-ielts/prepare/free-ielts-practice-tests

Some providers (including Staffordshire University) may be willing to provide an in-house test as an alternative to IELTS. You are welcome to contact our International Admissions team at [email protected] for further information on this.

Hope this helps,
Best wishes, Shaun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending