Oxbridge with bad GCSE’s -is it possible?

Watch
frankie2632
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there I am just curious really if it was possible to apply to oxbridge law with these grades, my GCSE,‘s are not the best.

GCSE’s-BBBBBAAA

A Level-
History -A
Classic Civillisation -A*
Law- A *
TSRAcco
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by frankie2632)
Hi there I am just curious really if it was possible to apply to oxbridge law with these grades, my GCSE,‘s are not the best.

GCSE’s-BBBBBAAA

A Level-
History -A
Law- A *
The entry requirements don't say what GCSEs you need, but I would try applying anyway (you've got nothing to lose!)

And, another things, your grades aren't bad! Maybe you think they are, in the context of some of the top Universities wanting very high GCSE grades, but your grades are a good achievement that you shouldn't downplay!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

GCSE’s-BBBBBAAA

A Level-
History -A
Law- A *
No chance at Oxford as they look for far more top grades at GCSE... look at Cambridge.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Might have a better shot if you applied after achieving those A-level grades, although bear in mind you'd probably need a higher score on whatever admissions test they do.
Da14a
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

GCSE’s-BBBBBAAA

A Level-
History -A
Law- A *
Oxford is unlikely to to interview you w those GCSE's. Cambridge is a much better option and a friend who had only a couple more A's than you got an offer from Cambs for Law.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Moved to Oxbridge
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above, you are best focusing on Cambridge, who don't put as much weight on GCSEs in general. Oxford do shortlist on the basis of GCSEs and yours would probably not be competitive in that regard, likely resulting in a pre-interview rejection. Cambridge tend to interview a slightly higher proportion of applicants in general (not sure about law specifically though), so hopefully you have better odds of being able to demonstrate your current strong academic skills in interview by applying there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads