?
Report 1 month ago
If you get paid enough then it is or if you're progressing to become big
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. Not unless you're in one of the minority who make enough of ad revenue and sponsorships on there that's more than the minimum wage, but bare in mind it took them over 5 years minimum to reach that point. Probably better off getting a real job tbh.
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most Youtubers do it as a side job. It is not a stable source of income.
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well yes but actually no
SuperiorPotato
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Being a Youtuber yeah
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thebigdawgjoshua)
Youtube job
Do some people make it work, yes.

but unless you are booming & generating income through various platforms it puts you in a precarious position. If you generate the views it’s doable for a small minority of people but you have to be realistic and realize their is also a high degree of risk. YouTube can change the algorithm or adsense rules and you just have to accept it, you can get wiped out fairly quickly.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Generally someone would start on it as a side thing and it'd spiral into a full time thing.

It's not a stable career but it's a career nonetheless. You have to be very popular to make that much money.
V℮rsions
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"career
/kəˈrɪə/
noun
an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person's life and with opportunities for progress."

According to the career of meaning on Google, yes. But then surely this definition would include many things which, by common sense, would not be a career socially or financially.. so I suppose it's personal preference
LiuYifHalleBail
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thebigdawgjoshua)
Youtube job
If you start young yes...but its also a shameful job in the sense that it is not as academically established and achieved as a doctor, teacher, lawyer, nurse, geographer!???
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think its actually much much harder work than people think. I reckon a lot of them are constantly under enormous pressure for content. And as mnot said above - you are entirely at the mercy of the capricious nature of Youtube, their policy and politics. There's only so many people who can sit in their rooms and chat nonsense. The gamers need something about them to get them popular, and then they need a constant flow of content. If you look at AliA, he's basically shovelling out clickbait for 10 year olds all day every day - and he's got to be feeling the heat that he's just doing the same thing every single day, and one day he might just drop like a stone. His girlfriend, the lovely but weird Claire Siobhan is utterly at the mercy of not just Youtube, but also EA as almost her whole earnings depend on The Sims. If there were two tech companies that you wouldn't want to trust your livelihood to - it would be Youtube and EA. The Sims 4 has been dead as a doornail for months - and she basically has no content; all she can do is jump on fads like Among Us and hope that she can retain her fanbase until Sims 5 comes out.

Looking at other Youtubers, unless you have a particular skill or resource, like restoring stuff or a hydraulic press, a lot of it is presentation and trying to stay relevant. How long do you think How Ridiculous can keep dropping stuff off a tower? There's bills to be paid, and those videos cost money to make. How long can pranksters keep faking pranks?

Ultimately, Youtube is just another branch of showbiz, only with a much shorter attention span, bigger rewards and bigger risks.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As a person who did YouTube, it was very hard to get the amount of subscribers I did, editing videos, thinking of videos to create, all felt like a chore with no substance afterwards and I wasn’t sure if it was what I wanted to do. So I simply reconsidered my career, and instead fell in love with studying to become a doctor. Do I regret not making study videos? Yes, but I think the main issue was I didn’t quite see a sustainable career in it. However, if you are determined to become a YouTuber and have a well established area you want to go into; gaming, studying etc, then go for it. Since you can subconsciously do what you love while simply recording so either way there’s no losing in time, as long as you enjoy yourself is all that matters. YouTube wouldn’t be good for primary source of income since you can fluctuate in views, which reduces your ad revenue, so it’ll be smart to branch to clothing or other paid promotions.
Joleee
Report 1 month ago
sometimes, but not for the majority of users. if you're lucky to make a career out of it it will be short term as you can't keep producing the same content or keep the same audience when you're 20 till you're 40; it's not like an ordinary job where you can keep doing the same task everyday. i suppose you'll have more stability if you were hired by BuzzFeed or something tho and/or work in producing videos, rather than starting from the ground up as an entrepreneur and may be irrelevant in a few years.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I sometimes wonder if people consider just how precarious Youtube careers are.

Imagine if tomorrow, YT just decided to demonitise all "reaction" videos. There are thousands of people scraping a living on this kind of video, that would instantly have to find something new to do.

Same with anything to do with copyright strikes- for the tiniest thing, which you may not even be aware of, you can get in trouble. Very few people can afford to take a hit, and those earning the big bucks - have so much more to lose.
spanker
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This thread is sponsored by.. You guessed it!

Raid shadow legends!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (146)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (442)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (337)
11.25%
Lack of purpose or motivation (418)
13.96%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.64%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.01%
Loneliness (257)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (122)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (162)
5.41%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (265)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (283)
9.45%

Watched Threads