Early 2016 Macbook suitable for Computer Science Degree?

Watch
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, I currently have the early 2016 macbook (old ik💀) and I was thinking of getting the battery changed soon as it’s really bad. It would put me down about £120.

I’m hoping to start a Computer Science degree soon which will obviously mean making large computer programs and I will be heavily relying on my laptop during the course.

I was just wondering whether it’s actually worth getting the battery changed on my mac and just using that during my degree or should I just invest in a better laptop?

specs:
early 2016 mac
1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core m3 processor
8GB memory
256GB storage
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
£120 to replace a battery? Apple take the piss. If you've enough to buy a laptop with respectable specs I recommend it, saves you money in the longrun, because the parts of a non Apple laptop are cheaper to replace and you can do the replacement yourself without having to go to the presumably ironically named 'Genius bar'
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
£120 to replace a battery? Apple take the piss. If you've enough to buy a laptop with respectable specs I recommend it, saves you money in the longrun, because the parts of a non Apple laptop are cheaper to replace and you can do the replacement yourself without having to go to the presumably ironically named 'Genius bar'
honestly, apple are ridiculous with their prices

i have a budget of approx £300-£400 do you think that would be good enough to get a decent laptop?
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you checked with Apple if they will replace your battery for free?

If they won't, have you googled to see if you can get your battery for particular model for a lot cheaper than £120?
EG http://www.good-batteries.co.uk/prod...8aAp2zEALw_wcB

And then find a Youtube video that shows how to replace the battery on your model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG5e2Z4Xs94

Please bear in mind that a lot of these videos are made by amateurs that apparently take no ESD precautions.

The biggest challenge in replacing Apple batteries is their idiotic habit of gluing them down. A strong thread is a good technique for sawing through the adhesive.

You might want to check that you have an SSD hard drive. If you have a mechanical hard drive replace it with SSD.

With a new battery and an SSD you will have a laptop that will be fine for Computer Science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (159)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (476)
14.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (365)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (458)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (152)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (197)
6.04%
Loneliness (280)
8.59%
Financial worries (114)
3.5%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (132)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (149)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (179)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (293)
8.99%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (306)
9.39%

Watched Threads