Securing an internship with normal A level grades due to predicted grade A level 2020

Watch
triPPY**
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys just to give some background info, I've got 3As for AS which are Mathematics (100) , Economics (90) and Physics (90). However, the predicted grades I ended up getting due to the pandemic were A* for Mathematics, A for Physics, B for Economics and B for Further Mathematics. I still ended up getting a spot in LSE so decided not to appeal. However now I'm afraid that this is going to cost me my career in the Finance industry as I'm planning to apply for an internship in my 2nd year and I've heard its super competitive.
My Questions are Will my A levels grades affect my application by a whole lot and if so, is there something I can present in my CV ( for example writing down my AS level grade) to show that I do not deserve that grades and were one of the many that were unfortunate and got a extreme downgrade from my results provided my AS grades.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by triPPY**)
Hi guys just to give some background info, I've got 3As for AS which are Mathematics (100) , Economics (90) and Physics (90). However, the predicted grades I ended up getting due to the pandemic were A* for Mathematics, A for Physics, B for Economics and B for Further Mathematics. I still ended up getting a spot in LSE so decided not to appeal. However now I'm afraid that this is going to cost me my career in the Finance industry as I'm planning to apply for an internship in my 2nd year and I've heard its super competitive.
My Questions are Will my A levels grades affect my application by a whole lot and if so, is there something I can present in my CV ( for example writing down my AS level grade) to show that I do not deserve that grades and were one of the many that were unfortunate and got a extreme downgrade from my results provided my AS grades.
You mean grades, not predicted grades. Predicted grades != CAGs.

And most people with CAGs in 2020 got inflated grades - it was a year of grade inflation. Especially with this, it won't look too great if you complain about them too much.

Do you have good module marks at LSE?
triPPY**
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
You mean grades, not predicted grades. Predicted grades != CAGs.

And most people with CAGs in 2020 got inflated grades - it was a year of grade inflation. Especially with this, it won't look too great if you complain about them too much.

Do you have good module marks at LSE?
Well, I have not even finished my first year yet and just got my first term mark ( not so great nonetheless but its ok )
Is there any solution you’d suggest then? cause in my case, my grade wasn't inflated at all as shown with my AS level results.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by triPPY**)
Well, I have not even finished my first year yet and just got my first term mark ( not so great nonetheless but its ok )
Is there any solution you’d suggest then? cause in my case, my grade wasn't inflated at all as shown with my AS level results.
Maybe working really hard to get amazing module marks to put on your CV? And doing extracurriculars and volunteering to gain experience.
triPPY**
Rep:
?
yea Im gonna do that but somehow my Alevel grade still somewhat bothers me as I feel like it’ll put me in a really disadvantage position among my peers. You’d figured if I should put my GCSEs grade or AS grade to show that I’m capable? or what should I do regarding this whole A level grade situation besides working hard on my module and taking part in extra curriculars. Also, do you have any experience applying for internship or perhaps already working in one of these top IB, and if u do would you mind sharing your experience?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads