rdubey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I am posting this because I have been feeling anxious lately about my future prospects. I have recently completed my Masters Degree from UoGlasgow and achieved MSc with Pass(59.7% - 2:2) and with 3-Resits marked on my transcript. For future options I was considering to apply for PhD, but I don't know if that's possible with the classification of degree. Although I achieved a B1 in my Dissertation project, but still I had to complete my degree late than other students. Please let me know what are my options from here on.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rdubey)
Hi all,

I am posting this because I have been feeling anxious lately about my future prospects. I have recently completed my Masters Degree from UoGlasgow and achieved MSc with Pass(59.7% - 2:2) and with 3-Resits marked on my transcript. For future options I was considering to apply for PhD, but I don't know if that's possible with the classification of degree. Although I achieved a B1 in my Dissertation project, but still I had to complete my degree late than other students. Please let me know what are my options from here on.
With a pass at masters level, you won't be a competitive applicant for PhD funding unfortunately. If you are able to self-fund, you'll have a better chance of being accepted, but you need to know yourself that you are capable of PhD level research and study. If the issues that resulted in your masters performance haven't been rectified, then you'll likely struggle at PhD level too.
rdubey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
With a pass at masters level, you won't be a competitive applicant for PhD funding unfortunately. If you are able to self-fund, you'll have a better chance of being accepted, but you need to know yourself that you are capable of PhD level research and study. If the issues that resulted in your masters performance haven't been rectified, then you'll likely struggle at PhD level too.
Thank you for the reply. My health issues became problem when I was taking the exams. But I guess nothing can be done about the bad grades. How about the employment? Does recruiters ponder upon bad grades and late graduation? I just need to know if my masters worth anything right now.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rdubey)
Thank you for the reply. My health issues became problem when I was taking the exams. But I guess nothing can be done about the bad grades. How about the employment? Does recruiters ponder upon bad grades and late graduation? I just need to know if my masters worth anything right now.
It depends on the employer tbh. If you can show that the issues that cause your grades have resolved, and demonstrate transferable skills, you have as good a chance as any. If a job requires a masters degree though, they may require a certain grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads