The Student Room Group

Applying after dropping out

(For context, I did a term at uni in the 2019/20 academic year, dropped out for health reasons, and am now applying for finance for the same course at a different uni for the 2021/22 year.)

I'd applied for student finance through my account a few days ago, putting in all the details of my new course and such, and thought that would be fine (I didn't see anything telling me to do something different if I was applying for a new course rather than continuing, other than changing the relevant autofilled details, although that may just be me being stupid...). I've got an email this morning saying that whatever I did was wrong, and I need to fill in a PN1 on paper and post it to SFE.

Is there really no way for me to successfully apply online? I don't mind the fact that it'll take me a good few hours to give all the identity details already in my account again, but the document is 45 pages long, that's a lot of money/ink/paper to spend on printing! If I do have to do it all again, is it acceptable to only print out the pages that I have to write something on (i.e. skipping out sections 7-11 in my case)? I'm just looking for any way to make this less of a printing nightmare :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for your help!
Original post by Interea
(For context, I did a term at uni in the 2019/20 academic year, dropped out for health reasons, and am now applying for finance for the same course at a different uni for the 2021/22 year.)

I'd applied for student finance through my account a few days ago, putting in all the details of my new course and such, and thought that would be fine (I didn't see anything telling me to do something different if I was applying for a new course rather than continuing, other than changing the relevant autofilled details, although that may just be me being stupid...). I've got an email this morning saying that whatever I did was wrong, and I need to fill in a PN1 on paper and post it to SFE.

Is there really no way for me to successfully apply online? I don't mind the fact that it'll take me a good few hours to give all the identity details already in my account again, but the document is 45 pages long, that's a lot of money/ink/paper to spend on printing! If I do have to do it all again, is it acceptable to only print out the pages that I have to write something on (i.e. skipping out sections 7-11 in my case)? I'm just looking for any way to make this less of a printing nightmare :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi there, it sounds like your previous application is not showing as withdrawn in your online account. So when you try to apply online the system thinks you are returning.

The only way to apply online would be to get your old university to withdraw your 2019/20 application. As this can all take time, we advise sending in a PN1 paper form. Yes you only need to complete the sections relevant to you.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, it sounds like your previous application is not showing as withdrawn in your online account. So when you try to apply online the system thinks you are returning.

The only way to apply online would be to get your old university to withdraw your 2019/20 application. As this can all take time, we advise sending in a PN1 paper form. Yes you only need to complete the sections relevant to you.
Thanks, Isaac

Ahhhh that makes sense, my uni did take about 5 months of emailing to actually remember to internally process me withdrawing, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd not actually followed it through properly on your end! Thanks for the clarification, I'll get printing :smile:
Reply 3
Will I have to fill out all the application form for DSA from scratch and send all my evidence again? The PN1 says to fill out the DSA slim, but neither of the options for question 3 seem quite right, since I'm not applying for the first time, but I haven't applied for my new course before (unless current course just means "maths" rather than "maths at ___ uni")

("3 Have you applied for DSA for your current course before?
Yes - I’ve already received DSA You don’t need to reapply
No - I’m applying for DSA for the first time Complete this form")
Original post by Interea
Will I have to fill out all the application form for DSA from scratch and send all my evidence again? The PN1 says to fill out the DSA slim, but neither of the options for question 3 seem quite right, since I'm not applying for the first time, but I haven't applied for my new course before (unless current course just means "maths" rather than "maths at ___ uni")

("3 Have you applied for DSA for your current course before?
Yes - I’ve already received DSA You don’t need to reapply
No - I’m applying for DSA for the first time Complete this form")

As you are a new student I would expect you to have to apply again. However you can email [email protected] and ask the team directly or call them on 0300 100 0607 and select the DSA option to get put through to the DSA team. The DSA team can then advise you better on this subject.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending