The Student Room Group

tampons?

hey, i'm 16 and have never used tampons before, i think this is mainly out of the fear that it will hurt or i'll put it in wrong and it will get stuck etc. but my friends have all made me feel quite embarrassed about this and laugh that i'm not willing to try right now. i just feel pads are easier and work for me, but are tampons really worth it? i've never been in the situation where i have felt like i've had to use one but if any of you have any tips it would be much appreciated!
the menstrual products you use are very individual and if you're having no problem with what you're using there isn't any reason you should feel the need to use tampons.

I think my main advice would probably find a comfortable position, relax and make sure you push it in completely as it may hurt a bit otherwise.
Original post by Anonymous
hey, i'm 16 and have never used tampons before, i think this is mainly out of the fear that it will hurt or i'll put it in wrong and it will get stuck etc. but my friends have all made me feel quite embarrassed about this and laugh that i'm not willing to try right now. i just feel pads are easier and work for me, but are tampons really worth it? i've never been in the situation where i have felt like i've had to use one but if any of you have any tips it would be much appreciated!

Don't feel peer pressured. If you're comfortable with pads use them. You don't need to use tampons if you are uncomfortable with using them. :smile:
It's nothing to be embarrassed about im 18 and im scared of them haha. If you don't feel comfortable using them then don't its fine. The very first time i used a tampon i didn't leave it in long enough and pulled it out when it was kinda dry and it was very uncomfortable and that put me off. But recently i used a tampon and i left it in longer and it was fine taking it out i didn't feel anything so if you want to try tampons make sure u leave it in long enough and id buy the ones with the applicator. But again completely up to u don't feel pressured or feel like u need to use them. Only reason i used one was because i was out of pads haha. Tampons are a bit more comfortable when ur use to them because u don't feel like ur wearing anything.
Reply 4
I’m 19 and I still have friends my age who never use tampons, it’s 100% up to your personal preference. I have used tampons since I was 11 so I have definitely got some advice for a first timer.
To get used to it, use a ‘lite’ or ‘regular’ size first and if this is too small for your flow pair it with a pantyliner before you move on to bigger sizes.
At first, always use them when your period is at its heaviest as it’s only uncomfortable or ‘painful’ if it’s dry down there.
Non-applicator VS Applicator is up to you. I personally would recommend an applicator tampon as it’s less messy and you get it deep enough that you can’t feel it.
Watch some videos regarding application and the angle to insert it.
Just relax and remember your vagina is built to be able to push out a small human! A tampon is easy work.
•^^ if you are tense you may find it hard to push in far or find it uncomfortable
If you can feel it inside you and it is uncomfortable, at has been inserted to shallow- either take it out and try again with a new one or push it in further with your finger.
Learning to use tampons may come to be useful later in life e.g. your on holiday on your period, but they don’t have to be your go-to method.
>> In all my 8 years of using tampons I’ve never had one ‘stuck’ in me or had a broken string, even when it was super dry and difficult to pull out. Don’t worry!!
Xxx
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I’m 16 and started using tampons over pads recently out of curiosity.
I wouldn’t really say there’s much of a difference between them tbh. Tampons do (for obvious reasons) take longer to prepare in the morning than pads, and can be difficult to use the first time. However, it gets easier the more you use them.
As far as I know, most of my friends use pads, either because they find them easier or they don’t know how to insert tampons. Some are also put off by the infinitesimal chance of toxic shock syndrome.
Just use the sanitary products that make you feel comfortable :smile: No one will know at the end of the day.
I tried to use TAMP0NS but my HOLE is to small
If you use tampons don't forget to take them out again after
Reply 8
You only need these for swimming and volleyball I think. More seriously, what you choose is your own business, many women prefer pads
I’m 18 and I’ve never used one, because there is no actual point unless you’re swimming really.
And tbh one of my friends put a tampon in while she had one In already, pushing it further, omg let’s just say if you don’t really need to, Don’t bother!! Pads are better, especially if you bleed heavily.

Quick Reply

Latest