The Student Room Group

can you claim universal credit whilst on student finance?

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help me I can't get the answer anywhere!
eligibility for universal credit whilst at uni.

So I'm a single parent of a 1 year old so I will get the PLA and full maintenance loan, also the childcare grant. I obviously get the child benefit.
I will be working PT alongside roughly £700 pcm.
As I have a mortgage I know my earnable income before deductions will start from the £500 threshold.
Question is I know if you claim universal credit you don't get the childcare grant. Is it better to claim childcare help via universal credit? or is this not a guarantee. So confused with it all ! Do I even get universal credit at all or will my income and the loan wipe it out?
Original post by jayniepooh94
Hi

Wondering if anyone can help me I can't get the answer anywhere!
eligibility for universal credit whilst at uni.

So I'm a single parent of a 1 year old so I will get the PLA and full maintenance loan, also the childcare grant. I obviously get the child benefit.
I will be working PT alongside roughly £700 pcm.
As I have a mortgage I know my earnable income before deductions will start from the £500 threshold.
Question is I know if you claim universal credit you don't get the childcare grant. Is it better to claim childcare help via universal credit? or is this not a guarantee. So confused with it all ! Do I even get universal credit at all or will my income and the loan wipe it out?

Have you used a benefits calculator? Play around with scenarios.
AFAIK UC will deduct your maintenance from your payments, I am not an expert though, the rules are extremely nonsensical.

You either need to contact your local council's benefits team OR you need to contact the citizens advice bureau.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending