catching up on chem at uni advice :(((((((

Watch
biomedchemistry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Theres 2 months left till exams and I haven't even started my lectures for organic chem. Are there any chem students here that think its doable? My exams are fortunately 24 hours at least so I don't need to do much memorising but at my uni all the chem students are so on top of their ****. I feel like it's impossible for me to catch upppp especially since I don't even know 1st year content because my exams were cancelled.
Rid123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by biomedchemistry)
Theres 2 months left till exams and I haven't even started my lectures for organic chem. Are there any chem students here that think its doable? My exams are fortunately 24 hours at least so I don't need to do much memorising but at my uni all the chem students are so on top of their ****. I feel like it's impossible for me to catch upppp especially since I don't even know 1st year content because my exams were cancelled.
Hi! It's definitely doable, I wouldn't stress too much! My best advice for organic chem is to think of it as chemical maths - the best was to learn it is by doing lots and lots of questions, i.e. past paper or workshop Q's.
If you need to learn lots of different reactions, mechanisms, retrosynthesis etc, I find the best way to learn them in a short space of time, is make yourself a mini quiz, with a couple question for every reaction you need to learn. Make sure it takes you about an hour to do, and then find an hour during the day and do it every day of the week to test yourself. If you find a new reaction that has a slight twist or something, just add it in! This way your mind will get used to approaching the questions in a certain way - like I say, it's just chemical maths.
This isn't to say to ignore the theory completely, you'll still need to bare in mind concept such as acidic protons, EW/ED functionalities etc, but those things you can still make time for. Make sure in the questions you do, you understand why the reaction is proceeding via that route, that way you cover all bases.

Hope this helps, and goodluck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (358)
84.04%
No (68)
15.96%

Watched Threads