IndigoGirl998
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,

I have an offer from Cambridge (A*AA).I'm going to firm Cambridge. I also have offers from UCL, Birmingham and Warwick.

My UCL offer is a contextual one of ABB

My Birmingham offer is ABB

I have another Birmingham offer for another subject at BBB (this is the one I'm leaning towards).

Finally I have a contextual offer of ABB for Warwick.

For some context the Warwick offer is for History and Philosophy and the Birmingham one I prefer is for Philosophy, Religion and Ethics.

I'm leaning towards Birmingham in terms of course but I know overall Warwick has a better academic reputation.

But Birmingham has come out top in graduate employment in the country this year.

Basically I really don't know what to choose

Thanks in advance
Last edited by IndigoGirl998; 3 months ago
arshdixit893
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by IndigoGirl998)
Hi,

I have an offer from Cambridge (A*AA).I'm going to firm Cambridge. I also have offers from UCL, Birmingham and Warwick.

I have another Birmingham offer for another subject at BBB (this is the one I'm leaning towards).

For some context the Warwick offer is for History and Philosophy and the Birmingham one I prefer is for Philosophy, Religion and Ethics.

I'm leaning towards Birmingham in terms of course but I know overall Warwick has a better academic reputation.

But Birmingham has come out top in graduate employment in the country this year.

Thanks in advance
did the graduate employability thing control for major? just looking at average salaries is never a good idea, Stevens Institute of Technology has a higher average salary than cornell, yale, brown and a pretty similar one to harvard, does this mean that stevens is better than cornell,yale, brown and equivalent to harvard? (obviously) no, it's just that stevens has only engineers while all of these other unis have hordes of humanities essay dudes.

it might be a better idea to see which of these unis is easiest to get into academia with (or where ever you wanna go as an essay dude) instead of the one with the most STEM majors. (I know you're female I just enjoy calling everyone dude)
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi,

Thanks in advance
There's not that much difference in reputation between Warwick and Birmingham.

All being equal I would opt for Warwick but if you prefer the course at Birmingham that changes things. Though you haven't stated whether you prefer History or Religion and Ethics or what course you applied for at Cambridge.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

.... the Birmingham one I prefer is for Philosophy, Religion and Ethics.

I'm leaning towards Birmingham in terms of course
Course is always more important than Uni - its the course that you will be studying every day for the next three years, and if that doesn't really interest you, it wont matter which Uni you are at, you wont be engaged with study and you wont enjoy your degree.

Brum is a gorgeous Uni - and if you end up there, you'll have a great time.
RoyalBeams
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Course is always more important than Uni - its the course that you will be studying every day for the next three years, and if that doesn't really interest you, it wont matter which Uni you are at, you wont be engaged with study and you wont enjoy your degree.

Please stop spreading this misinformation.

Uni is more important than course in most cases.

Yes, its the course that you will be studying every day for the next three years, but it is the university that you will be subconsciously judged on at every job application till you have sufficient track record.

Don't ever go and study economics at Manchester Met because you like the course and city for your 3 years of study, while you can do the same course at LSE or UCL.

Only choose Manchester Met if you have low will and energy for a high-flying career and future.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by RoyalBeams)
Please stop spreading this misinformation.
I've taught in RG Universities, and have worked in University Admissions for leading UK Universities for over 30 years.
And your experience is what exactly?
RoyalBeams
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I've taught in RG Universities, and have worked in University Admissions for leading UK Universities for over 30 years.
And your experience is what exactly?
My experience is knowing the universities that produce the graduates that get the top/best jobs, are paid the fatter salaries and have the biggest influential network to run society.
IndigoGirl998
Rep:
?
(Original post by arshdixit893)
did the graduate employability thing control for major? just looking at average salaries is never a good idea, Stevens Institute of Technology has a higher average salary than cornell, yale, brown and a pretty similar one to harvard, does this mean that stevens is better than cornell,yale, brown and equivalent to harvard? (obviously) no, it's just that stevens has only engineers while all of these other unis have hordes of humanities essay dudes.

it might be a better idea to see which of these unis is easiest to get into academia with (or where ever you wanna go as an essay dude) instead of the one with the most STEM majors. (I know you're female I just enjoy calling everyone dude)
Hi,

Yes I'm a girl. I'm going to assume you're American . The graduate employability bit for Birmingham didn't majorly influence my decision. In terms of graduate employment I heard good things about both Birmingham and Warwick. I agree that stats are not the most reliable, for obvious reasons such as the fact that they rely on self reporting. The report I'm talking about for Birmingham was not in any particular degree, (the British in me refuses to say major). The fact that I'm not applying for the same degree at these unis makes comparing stats.

I know they're both good for further academic study, with masters and doctorates. However, I haven't done any specific research on that and will now do so.

Thanks for the advice
IndigoGirl998
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
There's not that much difference in reputation between Warwick and Birmingham.

All being equal I would opt for Warwick but if you prefer the course at Birmingham that changes things. Though you haven't stated whether you prefer History or Religion and Ethics or what course you applied for at Cambridge.
Hi,

A lot of people say that there isn't much difference, but still tend to have a bias for Warwick.

I do prefer Religion and Ethics I think more so than the History and Philosophy BA at Warwick. I applied to Theology, Religion and Philosophy of Religion at Cambridge. So the Religion, Philosophy and Ethics is probably the most similar to that
IndigoGirl998
Rep:
?

Thanks for the advice.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I also work at an RG and agree with McGinger.

For this course and these unis there is little to no difference. Course, campus, careers service etc; look at those things.
IndigoGirl998
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
I also work at an RG and agree with McGinger.

For this course and these unis there is little to no difference. Course, campus, careers service etc; look at those things.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (117)
40.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (31)
10.8%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (22)
7.67%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (65)
22.65%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.5%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.62%

Watched Threads