How is MSc Speech and Language Therapy funded?

Watch this thread
IsabelleTylr
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!

I'm currently in my 3rd at uni on a placement year, studying Psychology BSc. I'm planning on doing the two year MSc Speech and Language therapy course after I graduate but I'm not sure how I will able to fund this as I will have already had a loan four years in a row from student finance?

If anybody who is currently on the MSc course has any advice and I'd be so grateful, thanks!
user_jh
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hey IsabelleTylr,

If it's your first MSc, I'm pretty sure you can apply for a MSc loan with student finance. Here's a link with some more info: https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan

I hope that helps
IsabelleTylr
Rep:
(Original post by user_jh)
Hey IsabelleTylr,

If it's your first MSc, I'm pretty sure you can apply for a MSc loan with student finance. Here's a link with some more info: https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan

I hope that helps
Thank you so much! From what I can tell masters loan only covers 1 year of tuition fees but speech and language Msc is a 2 year course so a little worried about how I’ll fund the second year
FastandCurious20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by IsabelleTylr)
Hi!

I'm currently in my 3rd at uni on a placement year, studying Psychology BSc. I'm planning on doing the two year MSc Speech and Language therapy course after I graduate but I'm not sure how I will able to fund this as I will have already had a loan four years in a row from student finance?

If anybody who is currently on the MSc course has any advice and I'd be so grateful, thanks!
For Pre-reg courses you can apply for a student loan, the same loan you get for an undergraduate degree. Then you can also apply for a maintenance loan as well. The reason for this is because it is a full on, intense course just like an undergraduate degree is - so there isn't really much time to work alongside it! You also get a £5,000 NHS bursary each year of the degree! Hope that helps
user_jh
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by IsabelleTylr)
Thank you so much! From what I can tell masters loan only covers 1 year of tuition fees but speech and language Msc is a 2 year course so a little worried about how I’ll fund the second year
I'm pretty sure that the loan will cover both years of tuition if the course is 2 years. Maybe you should contact Student Finance for more information as they will obviously give much more accurate advice than me :')!
IsabelleTylr
Rep:
(Original post by FastandCurious20)
For Pre-reg courses you can apply for a student loan, the same loan you get for an undergraduate degree. Then you can also apply for a maintenance loan as well. The reason for this is because it is a full on, intense course just like an undergraduate degree is - so there isn't really much time to work alongside it! You also get a £5,000 NHS bursary each year of the degree! Hope that helps
Thank you so much! This is such a relief
hlm96
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi I know this is am old thread but hoping this still gets to you! I'm in the same boat and was wondering if you had any more info on what you've said here? I can only find the info about 1 loan that doesn't even cover the tuition, hoping there's something I'm missing??
EmmaZombie
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hlm96)
Hi I know this is am old thread but hoping this still gets to you! I'm in the same boat and was wondering if you had any more info on what you've said here? I can only find the info about 1 loan that doesn't even cover the tuition, hoping there's something I'm missing??
You don’t apply for a standard masters loan, you apply for a standard undergrad loan (even if you’ve had one previously) as it’s an allied health course. Tuition and maintenance are what you get for it.
IsabelleTylr
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hlm96)
Hi!

We're entitled to the full undergraduate maintenance and tuition fee loan despite it being a postgraduate course (regardless of whether you've had a student loan before). You apply on the GOV student loan website as though you are completing an undergraduate loan application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads