The Student Room Group

A101 GEM University of Oxford 2022

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi everyone, I am applying for this cycle myself after getting an interview last year but failing to get a place. Excited to be meeting you all.
Reply 21
Original post by ikhn54
Hi @Neuro Alex, thanks for the advice!

just wanted to confirm if this link has the entry criteria that you mentioned in your post that the academics compare your application against: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/selection-criteria

Just had a couple of questions:
1) Was wondering how you got to know the weighting of each aspect of the application?
2) do you have any advice in terms of preparing for the BMAT?
3) would you recommend applying after you've graduated with a BSc and taking a year out to do some work experience?

Hi @Neuro Alex, this was really helpful and congrats on the acceptance (I didn't get past the interviews myself). Would you mind if I privately messages you in the near future. Would love to hear your thoughts on application ranking and colleges.
Original post by healyo2
Hi @Neuro Alex, this was really helpful and congrats on the acceptance (I didn't get past the interviews myself). Would you mind if I privately messages you in the near future. Would love to hear your thoughts on application ranking and colleges.

Of course :smile: Best of luck with your application!
Reply 23
Original post by Keels25
Hey guys - I’m a current GEM student at Oxford who has just finished the first year. Feel free to drop any questions my way.

Original post by Neuro Alex
Hi there - no problem!

Correct, those selection criteria are the most important thing to know inside-out when creating an application.

1. I knew by asking last year. This year I believe they are being more transparent about it. Definitely watch those videos and the Q&As as they discuss scoring the application plus BMAT deciles.

2. 100% use the official BMAT prep resource revision guide. Tailor your efforts towards the subjects you haven’t studied before. I skipped over the biology within a couple of days and focused on the physics / chemistry I hadn’t done in ages. The maths is something that got better with practice papers as the questions are quite tricky and difficult to revise for. Obviously, as always do the papers and really go over with a fine tooth comb mistakes. Don’t panic early on if your scores are low. Be strict with the time limit on section 2 and record where you got to. But also finish the paper so as not to lose practice questions. Work quickly from the start because the questions get harder and harder. I would say the hardest biology are still quick to answer though so don’t miss these ones. Half
of section 1 is sort of like DM of UCAT. Learning critical thinking concepts is a must. I was strong at these and more average in the problem solving. As with DM, writing things down is a must. You are a lot less pushed for time here and may well have time to go back. Questions get harder (ignore data analysis questions no longer in syllabus but you want to practice being accurate and avoiding silly mistakes here. Essays again a few practice ones don’t go mad it is least important but definitely plan out a structure and ensure you produce a balanced argument with a sound conclusion.

3. I wouldn’t really recommend one route over another. There is room for a lot of different pathways and experience. A year break for some work experience would definitely give you some points in the ‘commitment to medicine’ criterion so that’s no bad thing. I guess for Oxford always remember that the academic / science side of thing is most important so never lose sight of this in your PS / references.

Hi I am I am applying Oxford GEM 2022. Thank you for all these useful advice!!!

For the second question of the oxford supplementary form "describe key characteristics that highlight your suitability for the oxford graduate entry medicine course.
Do you recommend we use our work/volunteering experience to demonstrate our suitability for GEM? or do we just "describe" the characteristics?

Thanks!!
It doesn’t seem like this thread is still active but I was wondering if anyone else was unable to sit the BMAT because of technical issues? I know my supplementary form isn’t amazing so I was hoping the BMAT could improve my application
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Soot_sprite
It doesn’t seem like this thread is still active but I was wondering if anyone else was unable to sit the BMAT because of technical issues? I know my supplementary form isn’t amazing so I was hoping the BMAT could improve my application

I wasn't able to sit the BMAT either. I emailed Oxford in the afternoon and I was told that they will review the special considerations form and will consider applicants without a BMAT score when it is clear that they have made every reasonable effort to take the test.
Original post by Coquito
I wasn't able to sit the BMAT either. I emailed Oxford in the afternoon and I was told that they will review the special considerations form and will consider applicants without a BMAT score when it is clear that they have made every reasonable effort to take the test.

That’s helpful, thanks for letting me know! My stats without the BMAT are fairly average (it’s a guess but I know people apply with strong applications) so I’m not too optimistic now 😂

I wonder how our applications will be weighted and compared to others, especially if some people have managed to sit the BMAT?
Reply 27
I was able to sit it but it was a nightmare for me. In both Section 1 and Section 2, I was disconnected multiple times (~15 roughly). In section 3, the answer box was bugged. After 10 mins of starting S3, the online test system kicked me out again, and wouldn't let me back in. After awhile, I did manage to log in but I could not edit/write the essay. But the timer proceeded to count down...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 28
I wonder how our applications will be weighted and compared to others, especially if some people have managed to sit the BMAT?

Maybe this will help?
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/selection-criteria scroll down to general selection requirements and statistics/shortlisting
On the BMAT 2022 entry megathread some people mentioned that for people unable to start the exam, the test is being rescheduled to next Wednesday (10th Nov) - they apparently received an email about it. Have any of you heard about this?
Reply 30
I’ve not received an email from my test centre about this. I’m working full time and had to take annual leave to sit the BMAT so I don’t see how that could work for me if it is rescheduled so close!
Original post by Coquito
I’ve not received an email from my test centre about this. I’m working full time and had to take annual leave to sit the BMAT so I don’t see how that could work for me if it is rescheduled so close!

I don’t understand how it could work either, like many people I had to travel and take time off labs which really isn’t ideal on very short notice! I’ve been following the main BMAT thread, and although some have received emails others haven’t been told anything specific yet - it’s all very odd
Reply 32
I don’t understand how it could work either, like many people I had to travel and take time off labs which really isn’t ideal on very short notice! I’ve been following the main BMAT thread, and although some have received emails others haven’t been told anything specific yet - it’s all very odd

Exactly! It seems very odd to me that if a second sitting was scheduled so soon the test centres wouldn't bother to email candidates but would wait until Monday which is 2 days before the date. I hope it is not the case.
Has anyone heard anything since? I still haven’t been contacted by my test centre even after emailing them (only got an automatic response) so I rang CAAT and they said they weren’t allowed to tell me anything 😬

Afterwards, I rang the company running my test centre. They said that they haven’t received a final confirmation from CAAT in writing yet about a resit tomorrow and they can’t email applicants until they receive it. But, they did say it is likely there will be a resit tomorrow. They recommended I try and get a day off, but not book transport until (potentially) receiving an email later in the day confirming it.

Sorry for so much text! I thought I’d post it on the off-chance it might help some of you in the same position as me
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 34
Heard back from my test centre at 3PM today. Won’t be able to attend though as my work can’t find anyone else to cover for me under such a short notice. I work in a busy theatre so I understand their point, such an awful position to be in. Gonna get in touch with Oxford and hope they will still be able to consider my application. Best of luck for those of you who are sitting the exam tomorrow!
Original post by Coquito
Heard back from my test centre at 3PM today. Won’t be able to attend though as my work can’t find anyone else to cover for me under such a short notice. I work in a busy theatre so I understand their point, such an awful position to be in. Gonna get in touch with Oxford and hope they will still be able to consider my application. Best of luck for those of you who are sitting the exam tomorrow!

Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear that! My test centre also contacted me in the afternoon which wasn’t great either, I managed to get time off labs but I’m already behind from taking last week off for the exam. With less than 24 hrs notice hopefully admissions will understand - I think earlier in the thread someone mentioned they can consider applications without the BMAT and did do that last year so fingers crossed!
I was able to sit the BMAT on the 3rd with relatively few issues, which I thought was a good thing. But now people are retaking (most likely the same) test yesterday and at home on Friday, it seems that I and others in my position are now disadvantaged. Can anyone relate? I’m thinking of emailing Oxford to ask how/if they’re going to compare BMAT scores from the different November sittings.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi! Have you received a response?
Reply 38
Hey everyone! For those who have applied for this year, does anyone know when we will find out if we have been shortlisted for interview?

Also, does anyone know the dates interviews will be held this year (is it confirmed as the 16th-17th of December yet), and if they are in person or online?

Thanks!
Reply 39
Original post by BelPhD
Hey everyone! For those who have applied for this year, does anyone know when we will find out if we have been shortlisted for interview?

Also, does anyone know the dates interviews will be held this year (is it confirmed as the 16th-17th of December yet), and if they are in person or online?

Thanks!

I think it is supposed to be the first week of December or at least that's when people heard back last year. On the course website, it has been confirmed that interviews will be held online. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending