The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Geography is not soft!!

Take that. It's highly respected :smile:

Plus, you don't need Politics to do it at uni, whereas you need Geography if you want to do that to degree.
Politics...I really wouldn't do Geography just because it's 'easy'. Also you say you like human geography...and Politics is a lot about people :smile:
Geography is not a soft subject! I'd say take that then at university you could find one which offers Geography w/politics or the other way round.
Politics, politics, politics, politics, politics.

Honest to god I did both and I absolutly hated AS Geography. I used to love geography, I got an A* at GCSE and had a real passion for it. When I did it at A level almost straight away I found out that it is a horrid subject with lots of essay, hundereds of things to remember and the exams were incredibly hard. I ended the year with a U and a real hatred of the subject.

Politics I love and I cannot describe how much I love it. At the start of last year I had a passing interest and this year I have turned that into a passion of mine, I want to do it at Uni and I want to go into it as a career. The subjects are managable and very interesting, the work-load is not as heavy as geography and the exams are much more understanding based rather than fact based.

Obviously this is my opinion and you should do what you want but politics is great.
Do politics and just enter yourself for the geog exam, it's so easy you won't need to do any work, just turn up for the exam. About 6 people in my year got 300 for AS last year.
Reply 6
You will get lots of essays in politics soon enough im sure (i did atleast), a good respected a-level (as is geography) - if you want to do something social science related at uni politics may be better
loafer
geography is officially colouring in and capital cities. thats it

Oh come off it, at A level you need to write essays about all sorts of stuff, and you';ve only got 35 minutes for each.
I was in similar situation and guess what I've done? I took them all LOL
But if we had Politics I would definitely choose it over Geography. I don't like physical geography either unless we are talking about social, economic or humanitarian effects of natural disasters or something :biggrin:
Reply 9
Politics. I chose it as one of those last-resort choices and am now completely in love with the subject and applying to study it at university. :biggrin:
Couldn't you just take geography, yet still keep up with the political news today? Also, your school must have some sort of pulic speaking club, political conferences etc?

Or you could take politics, and still be interested in geography, e.g. immersing yourself in the outside world, watching global warming documenteries etc?

It depends which yo you would prefer to study, and which you prefer to read about on etc.

Good luck!
I'd say Politics.
Reply 12
Geography :biggrin: You can still get bits of politics in it.
Reply 13
Do both!
Drop one of your other ones :smile:
Reply 14
Castelbajac

Plus, you don't need Politics to do it at uni, whereas you need Geography if you want to do that to degree.

No you don't. Not even Oxbridge say you have to do Geography at A level to do it at degree level :smile:
Reply 15
hazzypants
geogrpahy or politics. basically i need to choose now, as ive been doing both:smile: i would take up eng lit, but theres no spaces, and it's too late so its between the two. which one to do! both are soft subjects i want to take another art to back me up if i forget the whole medicine idea!

geog: easy, fun people, hydorology is boring, but tectonics etc shud be better. im a human geographer, so it's guna be pretty boring til this module ends in january. dont like field trips. would wuite like to do it at oxbridge cos it looks easy... and oxbridge wud be fantastic

politics: good fun, lots of debates. not too juch work so far. not many essays, but they are to come aren;t they? cos i like essays :smile: im really interested in ways thing work, why etc; and being fair and equal and society. natural hazards, why people vote, why are some epople rich, why are countires poor; but i think that i cud learn it all from wathcing the news, in the same respect i cud learn all of geogrpahy from reading a good atlas.

but yeh which on?? other subjects are french, maths chem and biology.

uni: french/politics, medicine, geogrpahy?!?

careers: medicine/social work/ teacher/ diplomat/ drama actor journalist/ town planner......... i don't have a clue really. any help very appreciated!!!!

To keep your options open, take geography since you don't actually need a politics A-level to study a politics degree (although I'm not too sure about that). But university/degrees/careers aside, I'd advise you to take politics. I find geography quite boring and a lot of people who take it at my school don't particularly enjoy it. So unless you REALLY like it, I'd say take politics.
hazzypants
both are soft subjects

Forget Oxbridge.
hazzypants
geogrpahy or politics. basically i need to choose now, as ive been doing both:smile: i would take up eng lit, but theres no spaces, and it's too late so its between the two. which one to do! both are soft subjects i want to take another art to back me up if i forget the whole medicine idea!

geog: easy, fun people, hydorology is boring, but tectonics etc shud be better. im a human geographer, so it's guna be pretty boring til this module ends in january. dont like field trips. would wuite like to do it at oxbridge cos it looks easy... and oxbridge wud be fantastic

politics: good fun, lots of debates. not too juch work so far. not many essays, but they are to come aren;t they? cos i like essays :smile: im really interested in ways thing work, why etc; and being fair and equal and society. natural hazards, why people vote, why are some epople rich, why are countires poor; but i think that i cud learn it all from wathcing the news, in the same respect i cud learn all of geogrpahy from reading a good atlas.

but yeh which on?? other subjects are french, maths chem and biology.

uni: french/politics, medicine, geogrpahy?!?

careers: medicine/social work/ teacher/ diplomat/ drama actor journalist/ town planner......... i don't have a clue really. any help very appreciated!!!!

I know it may be a bit late now to answer your question but I would say do Geography due to a number of reasons...

1) Its highly respected (a lot more than Politics)

2) On your personal statement you can blag about 'team learning' etc

3) Its really interesting, in human geography there is loads on politics - not just UK!

4) Shows you have good analysis skills.

5) Shows you can write essays and think on your feet.

I was in a similar situation. I liked the human aspect of Geography but hated Physical. got a D first time at AS did re-take and got and A on Physical.
Reply 18
Geography, though i am a bit biased as i plan on doing it at university. I wouldn't say it's a soft subject. Different people will think differently on the two subjects. It's really up to you on which you decide to do. Go for the one you think you'll enjoy more.
Reply 19
Geography is certainly not a soft subject, and i don't think politics is either - although i cannot be sure of the latter.

To all those in this thread who have called Geography easy, you are either:
1) Incredibly bright
2) An annoying troll

I do admit some parts are easier than others, and yes if you know HOW to answer the questions you can do very, very well in the subject, but mainly at AS.

It is different, at AS, in that the exam paper remains very similiar year in, year out, and if you know the facts then you can get very nice marks indeed. However at A2 the exams become much more business like, with a multitude of essays in alot shorter time than you would expect, so dont underestimate it certainly.

I personally would say Geography, but as the above said, I am also Biased since I have applied to do it at university. The important thing to remember when you are deciding is not which is easier, nor which will be looked upon more favorably (as they are both not soft but on the other hand neither are required to take the subject at a higher level). You need to pick the one you enjoy the most. Without enjoyment an AS or A2 subject can go horribly wrong and you will, most likely, end up with a poor grade.

P.S --> I do do alot of colouring in Geography, but those who take the piss out of it are merely jealous, we get to do proper essay work and colour in, what an amazing subject :P

Latest