The Student Room Group

Is Liverpool Muslim friendly?

I’ve been accepted to study a course in Liverpool and I was wondering whether or not it was Muslim friendly. I’ve been accepted for other courses in different areas but, Liverpool has cheaper accommodations, and I’ll be able to financially support myself. From personal experiences, is the area accepting?
Ooof I have no idea. I’ve never been out of London and I wouldn’t know. I got accepted into Bournemouth uni and it’s my firm choice (majority white area but I don’t mind) and I’m in the similar situation as you too. Tbh if I receive xenophobic hate (which I’m hoping I don’t) I won’t let them get away with it. Try searching on google if you can.
Reply 2
Original post by WiseGalaxy
Ooof I have no idea. I’ve never been out of London and I wouldn’t know. I got accepted into Bournemouth uni and it’s my firm choice (majority white area but I don’t mind) and I’m in the similar situation as you too. Tbh if I receive xenophobic hate (which I’m hoping I don’t) I won’t let them get away with it. Try searching on google if you can.

I don’t mind a primarily white area either, I usually get along with white people but, that’s probably because my area consists of more Muslims and they’re accustomed to being around us.
Considering you’re entering university, do you think the age and maturity factor changes the amount of people who may be discriminative? I was thinking that not many people of the ages 18+ would take action onto another person, even if they were against their religion, considering they wouldn’t attempt to risk exclusion, but this only makes sense in an educational setting.
Also, assuming they’re Christians/Catholics, wouldn’t their religion teach them to be respectful towards other religions?
These are just some things I’ve been questioning.
I searched on Google and apparently Liverpool is “Muslim friendly” but, you can’t always be sure.
Well from vids I am watching Liverpool seems to be just as multicultural as any other major city in the UK. so theres no reason why your college/uni won't be muslim friendly.

what uni were you accepted into?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Well from vids I am watching Liverpool seems to be just as multicultural as any other major city in the UK. so theres no reason why your college/uni won't be muslim friendly.

what uni were you accepted into?

That’s great, I just needed some reassurance!
I’ve been accepted into The University of Liverpool to study a criminology course. Although, I wanted to know more about the area since I’ll be staying there for a long period of time and was hoping the area was accepting of Muslims. I’ll look into more videos.
:smile:
That’s great, I just needed some reassurance!
I’ve been accepted into The University of Liverpool to study a criminology course. Although, I wanted to know more about the area since I’ll be staying there for a long period of time and was hoping the area was accepting of Muslims. I’ll look into more videos.

haha i always do my research from simply viewing youtube vids and seeing what the atmosphere is like there. its been a true God sent, did it for my own uni and every time i'm travelling somewhere and it really helps ease your mind

heres a few.

i mean the people look happy and pleasant enough there. plus unis in general tend to be where you find the most accepting people so i think you'll be fine don't worry, you are naturally just nervous like every other student. enjoy uni, you will miss it when its over. i really miss my uni days sigh....
Hi, I’m from Liverpool, I’ve also applied to Uni of Liverpool this year. I can’t really speak from my own experience as I am not Muslim, but I do have some friends who are that live here and as far as I know I think they feel pretty welcome, I haven’t heard of or seen any particular stigma against Muslims, I can’t think of any serious incidents either. I can confidently say it doesn’t “stand out” as being anti-Muslim in comparison to other places in the UK. Vast majority people here wouldn’t have a problem with your religion, they’d very likely be more concerned about your personality and who you are.
I don’t mind a primarily white area either, I usually get along with white people but, that’s probably because my area consists of more Muslims and they’re accustomed to being around us.
Considering you’re entering university, do you think the age and maturity factor changes the amount of people who may be discriminative? I was thinking that not many people of the ages 18+ would take action onto another person, even if they were against their religion, considering they wouldn’t attempt to risk exclusion, but this only makes sense in an educational setting.
Also, assuming they’re Christians/Catholics, wouldn’t their religion teach them to be respectful towards other religions?
These are just some things I’ve been questioning.
I searched on Google and apparently Liverpool is “Muslim friendly” but, you can’t always be sure.

I went to schools where everyone were predominantly white. I’m not really a strict Muslim tbh. Can’t wait for Ramadan tho. I think a lot of factors come to play. I don’t wear the hijab so straight away people do not think I’m a Muslim. I never really talk about my faith as i don’t know how people would react to it, plus I’m Afghan too. So I don’t want people to bring up the taliban or 9/11 or war in any conversations where it makes
me feel uncomfortable. I’ve learnt that in life you cannot face away from discrimination I’ve had librarians talk about how there should be separate secondary schools for people who are not Christians in the Church of England schools. They basically spurring anti Semitic and god awful stuff. I was the only one in that Library and just walked out. I’m hoping that universities and in a schooling environment people will be mature enough to not discriminate against someone’s faith and religion. I do think that maybe locals might be a bit problematic and if there’s any drinking involved (which in unis always are) I will kindly reject and bring a bottle of water or something. If I’m close friends with anyone and they ask (coz they do sometimes) I’ll just explain to them if they wanna know.
England is a secularist country and my best friend is an atheist and I love her. Sure Britain doesn’t have the greatest of history but I’m glad that it’s multiculturalism and diverse. The area where I’m heading isn’t as diverse as London but you’ll face discrimination anywhere. I’ve never been attacked or had someone come up to me and say anything against my religion. I’ve had the fair share in my RS lessons where some dumbass be asking the question of is Islam a country and me just gritting my teeth wondering why I have to listen to this bs.
no one will attack you. Inshallah all will be well and wallahi if anyone does attack you due to prejudice it will look bad on the uni and the other person will be charged of assault and hate crime.

When someone is discriminatory I never really consider religion as a factor. I consider human beings. Being kind to one another is essential and if they are rude then I pray that Allah teaches them a lesson, and they have a sh*ty day.
Like my parents say keep your head down and don’t draw attention to yourself😂

No I’m joking. You’ll be fine And that’s a guarantee. Finish your course, make good friends and enjoy your uni life. Don’t let any other thing come into play. :smile:
Reply 8
I’ve been accepted to study a course in Liverpool and I was wondering whether or not it was Muslim friendly. I’ve been accepted for other courses in different areas but, Liverpool has cheaper accommodations, and I’ll be able to financially support myself. From personal experiences, is the area accepting?

Yes, Liverpool is Muslim friendly. My nephew is currently studying at LJMU. There are several mosques in the city. I never heard he has problems in Liverpool. In fact, he enjoys living in the city. He's an Indonesian. It is easy to find halal foods or meats as well. Don't worry about that.
Liverpool is a very multicultural city.
(edited 3 years ago)

I was at a uni near Liverpool for a while and, as someone from the South, I'd say northerners are generally more friendly and nicer.
haha i always do my research from simply viewing youtube vids and seeing what the atmosphere is like there. its been a true God sent, did it for my own uni and every time i'm travelling somewhere and it really helps ease your mind

heres a few.

i mean the people look happy and pleasant enough there. plus unis in general tend to be where you find the most accepting people so i think you'll be fine don't worry, you are naturally just nervous like every other student. enjoy uni, you will miss it when its over. i really miss my uni days sigh....

Watched the videos, they all seem pretty happy, as said, and I saw a mixture of races in the background, which makes me a lot more comfortable.
Thank you for your help!
Hi, I’m from Liverpool, I’ve also applied to Uni of Liverpool this year. I can’t really speak from my own experience as I am not Muslim, but I do have some friends who are that live here and as far as I know I think they feel pretty welcome, I haven’t heard of or seen any particular stigma against Muslims, I can’t think of any serious incidents either. I can confidently say it doesn’t “stand out” as being anti-Muslim in comparison to other places in the UK. Vast majority people here wouldn’t have a problem with your religion, they’d very likely be more concerned about your personality and who you are.

I understand, thank you for your response! It’s reassuring to have someone from the area to explain it to me.
Original post by WiseGalaxy
I went to schools where everyone were predominantly white. I’m not really a strict Muslim tbh. Can’t wait for Ramadan tho. I think a lot of factors come to play. I don’t wear the hijab so straight away people do not think I’m a Muslim. I never really talk about my faith as i don’t know how people would react to it, plus I’m Afghan too. So I don’t want people to bring up the taliban or 9/11 or war in any conversations where it makes
me feel uncomfortable. I’ve learnt that in life you cannot face away from discrimination I’ve had librarians talk about how there should be separate secondary schools for people who are not Christians in the Church of England schools. They basically spurring anti Semitic and god awful stuff. I was the only one in that Library and just walked out. I’m hoping that universities and in a schooling environment people will be mature enough to not discriminate against someone’s faith and religion. I do think that maybe locals might be a bit problematic and if there’s any drinking involved (which in unis always are) I will kindly reject and bring a bottle of water or something. If I’m close friends with anyone and they ask (coz they do sometimes) I’ll just explain to them if they wanna know.
England is a secularist country and my best friend is an atheist and I love her. Sure Britain doesn’t have the greatest of history but I’m glad that it’s multiculturalism and diverse. The area where I’m heading isn’t as diverse as London but you’ll face discrimination anywhere. I’ve never been attacked or had someone come up to me and say anything against my religion. I’ve had the fair share in my RS lessons where some dumbass be asking the question of is Islam a country and me just gritting my teeth wondering why I have to listen to this bs.
no one will attack you. Inshallah all will be well and wallahi if anyone does attack you due to prejudice it will look bad on the uni and the other person will be charged of assault and hate crime.

When someone is discriminatory I never really consider religion as a factor. I consider human beings. Being kind to one another is essential and if they are rude then I pray that Allah teaches them a lesson, and they have a sh*ty day.
Like my parents say keep your head down and don’t draw attention to yourself😂

No I’m joking. You’ll be fine And that’s a guarantee. Finish your course, make good friends and enjoy your uni life. Don’t let any other thing come into play. :smile:

Thank you for your advice!
I’m not a strict Muslim either, I don’t wear a hijab and I don’t look Bangladeshi either.
I was just worried if people would judge me based off my race and eventually based on my religion too but, after reassurance, I don’t think that’ll be the case, I’m just a bit nervous.
I wish you the best for your course too!
Original post by revi298
Yes, Liverpool is Muslim friendly. My nephew is currently studying at LJMU. There are several mosques in the city. I never heard he has problems in Liverpool. In fact, he enjoys living in the city. He's an Indonesian. It is easy to find halal foods or meats as well. Don't worry about that.
Liverpool is a very multicultural city.

Thank you, this is really reassuring!
Original post by Bongo Bongo
I was at a uni near Liverpool for a while and, as someone from the South, I'd say northerners are generally more friendly and nicer.

Thank you for this :smile:
Hi there,

Good to see some useful and interesting conversation on this topic. I thought I would jump in an offer some of my experience, whilst I'm not a Muslim, some of my friends at University are and I know they have never had any issues in Liverpool.

As a University it is diverse, and we cater for all faiths, for example there is a muslim prayer room in the library, and there is a Islamic society at the guild (see more information on this here: https://www.liverpoolguild.org/groups/islamic-society-livisoc). As a city it is a welcoming and accepting place, there is diverse population along with communities for all religions, there is a mosque around 5 minutes from campus, and loads of halal supermarkets and restaurants so you will be well catered for in those terms.

I wish you good luck in your studies, and if you have anything specific you would like to know about then feel free to ask below:smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 16
I live in Preston so not far from Liverpool (45 mins drive up the M6) and I have been to Liverpool many times. I can honestly say Liverpool is one of the best cities in the UK and yes they are Muslim friendly. You might get the odd few people here and there but to be fair you get idiots everywhere. Us northerners are far far friendlier than our southern neighbours and you will have no problem wearing a hijab, in fact you will find there is a mosque in Toxteth (an area in Liverpool) which is open to all types of background. Plus that area is meant to be rough with gang related violence, drugs etc but I have had no issue wearing my Islamic clothing in public. Also the Liverpool football team have two Muslim footballers (Mo Salah and Mane) playing for them and one of their chant is "salah, salah a gift from Allah" so you should be fine. Plus if you do encounter racism on the campus you can always alert any member of staff or security and I can assure you they will take your complaint very seriously because Liverpool is worldwide known university. Hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
The UK is incredibly tolerant- you'll be safe in every place. I'm Pakistani, so many people erroneously believe I must be Muslim (which to their defense, I was, until about 8 years ago), and I haven't been discriminated against for supposed religious belief. Bigots exist everywhere, but as a whole you'll be fine.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you for your advice!
I’m not a strict Muslim either, I don’t wear a hijab and I don’t look Bangladeshi either.
I was just worried if people would judge me based off my race and eventually based on my religion too but, after reassurance, I don’t think that’ll be the case, I’m just a bit nervous.
I wish you the best for your course too!

Hey, I am a Bangladeshi too, and was thinking of applying to the University of Liverpool. If you have joined the university is it okay if we get in contact, I would be interested to know more about the university from a student's perspective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending