The Student Room Group

SOAS, Loughborough or Sterling?

Hi there,

I had posted a similar question earlier but the answers I kept getting were based on university student experience. I’m thinking of taking diplomacy postgraduate course - forgetting the idea of student life (because I just want to get my studies finished, I’m a new mum and wanting to finish my education) which university is the best for this course and why? I have done a lot of research but I would really like some extra input.

Thanks.
Original post by Liztom98
Hi there,

I had posted a similar question earlier but the answers I kept getting were based on university student experience. I’m thinking of taking diplomacy postgraduate course - forgetting the idea of student life (because I just want to get my studies finished, I’m a new mum and wanting to finish my education) which university is the best for this course and why? I have done a lot of research but I would really like some extra input.

Thanks.

Hi @Liztom98

It's great that you're considering studying at Loughborough!

Please could you confirm whether you are looking at the Diplomacy programmes at our London campus, or a postgraduate diploma qualification at our Loughborough campus?

Then I will gather the relevant information for you :smile:

All the best,
-Dan :biggrin:
Hi there,

Thanks.

Being based in London would probably give you better contacts in your subject area.
Hi there,

Thanks.

I would highly recommend checking out the SOAS MA/PG Dip International Studies and Diplomacy.

This course gives you the opportunity to select a range of well taught modules linked both specifically to diplomatic theory and practice, but also international relations more generally.

Although I was initially looking for a specifically diplomacy orientated course I recognised immediately the importance of grounding my learning within the larger context of international politics, economics and law. This course let's you choose a variety of exciting and unique options such as Diplomacy and Sport or global advocacy (designed for activists), all of which are catered towards beginners and experts alike. The professors are very open and easy to communicate with, all of whom have had exciting professional experiences.

For diplomacy specifically they break this down into two parts, the theoretical and the practical. After taking you through the multiple forms that diplomacy takes - both conventional and unconventional - in term one, term two is focused around learning and applying diplomatic skills through a series of group practical exercises and role-playing in carefully designed international scenarios.

The course provides access to all sorts of extra opportunities such as media training or SCRAP - a disarmament and non-proliferation organisation, both of which have given me a unique experience to get real world experience and create impact.

SOAS is well known for its heterodox and postcolonial approaches to the theories and problems in the world so aside from great skills, you will also pick up a fresher understanding of how you can tackle some of the world's most pressing issues.
Although I am a recent graduate I have friends on this course who are also mum's and like me, they have chosen to do the course part-time for two years, this is something I would recommend in order to balance out time management. There is such a mix of people on the course from all academic backgrounds and all ages which is really great as each one brings a new perspective and new ideas.

Let me know if you would like any more info.

You can find a link to the course here.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/cisd/programmes/mapgdipisd/

Philip

MA/PG Dip International Relations and Diplomacy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending