The Student Room Group

Does core maths count?

When universities say ‘required subjects:mathematics’ do they mean core maths or do I have to study further maths to qualify?
Reply 1
If they say maths is a requirement it will mean that you will need to have an A-levels maths. Core maths is almost an ‘extra’ - you can’t apply to universities with it (if that makes sense) xx
Original post by Leo_braun
When universities say ‘required subjects:mathematics’ do they mean core maths or do I have to study further maths to qualify?

It means A level Maths - Core Maths is not an A level.
Original post by Leo_braun

Core Maths is, at best, AS level.

Its still useful to do if you are planning on doing a STEM subject at Uni as it keeps your Maths skills going beyond GCSE, but if the Uni wants your 3 A level subjects to 'include Maths', that is what they want - a full A level.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Core Maths is, at best, AS level.

Its still useful to do if you are planning on doing a STEM subject at Uni as it keeps your Maths skills going beyond GCSE, but if the Uni wants your 3 A level subjects to 'include Maths', that is what they want - a full A level.

for the course im planning on taking, they require a 7 in gcse maths which i dont have. would core maths make up for it?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
It means A level Maths - Core Maths is not an A level.

for the course im planning on taking, they require a 7 in gcse maths which i dont have. would core maths make up for it?
Original post by k419

I've seen Core Maths grade B equated with GCSE Maths grade 6 - each individual Uni will make a different call so you'll need to check their websites for any info on this and email each one individually to check if its not clear.
Reply 7
I've seen Core Maths grade B equated with GCSE Maths grade 6 - each individual Uni will make a different call so you'll need to check their websites for any info on this and email each one individually to check if its not clear.

ok thankyou
Reply 8

I did write to them they said it may be taken into consideration depending on how high the competitiveness of the course is.
Im aiming to go for Bsc international management at Warwick

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending