The Student Room Group

UCL A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by US123456
Ok so assuming the same is for GCSEs as well as A-Levels in that it is just a tick-box that you meet the minimum requirements. Then for interview selection this would leave your PS, reference and your BMAT right? So interview selection would be based on the latter 3 criteria?

Wow, this is very holistic. From what I have seen in the FOI, I feel like BMAT is also less emphasised in comparison to Oxbridge especially if your other things in the application stand out
Original post by GANFYD
Not unless they have changed the way they shortlist people (and there is nothing to suggest they have, as the website still says the same thing it always has done)

thank you so much for your time :smile:
thank you so much for your time :smile:

:hat2:
would getting a score like 3, 3, 3A in BMAT mean no interview if the rest of application is good? I know theyre holistic but has anyone with particularly low BMAT been accepted?
Original post by eighthirty
would getting a score like 3, 3, 3A in BMAT mean no interview if the rest of application is good? I know theyre holistic but has anyone with particularly low BMAT been accepted?

I'm almost certain that would be a rejection.

From what I've gathered (correct me again if I'm wrong @GANFYD) is that for your GCSEs and A-Levels, predicted or achieved, it is just a tick box. This means that someone with A*AA will not be at a disadvantage compared to someone with A*A*A*.

Since most people who'd apply to ucl would meet the academic requirements, this would leave your personal statement, references and BMAT. Again PS, in my opinion, won't be used as heavily as anybody could lie in it (which is probably why UCL verify random w/e placements from various applicants) and we can assume majority of the people applying will have a good reference.

This would leave us with the BMAT which is the criteria they'd look at most heavily. I know they say they take a holistic approach but looking at this I think a high BMAT score will be needed.
probably a dumb question, but im eligible for a contextual offer at ucl, i know this reduces my a level requirements, but does it also lower my bmat score requirement?... i worded that poorly but hopefully someone understands what I'm asking lol. i know there's no cut off or anything, but i mean is it more likely for me to be invited for an interview with a lower score than others? best of luck to those sitting the bmat next week :smile:
Original post by candy6830
probably a dumb question, but im eligible for a contextual offer at ucl, i know this reduces my a level requirements, but does it also lower my bmat score requirement?... i worded that poorly but hopefully someone understands what I'm asking lol. i know there's no cut off or anything, but i mean is it more likely for me to be invited for an interview with a lower score than others? best of luck to those sitting the bmat next week :smile:

Nope, I’m afraid it only reduces your offer.

Good luck to you too!
I'm almost certain that would be a rejection.

From what I've gathered (correct me again if I'm wrong @GANFYD) is that for your GCSEs and A-Levels, predicted or achieved, it is just a tick box. This means that someone with A*AA will not be at a disadvantage compared to someone with A*A*A*.

Since most people who'd apply to ucl would meet the academic requirements, this would leave your personal statement, references and BMAT. Again PS, in my opinion, won't be used as heavily as anybody could lie in it (which is probably why UCL verify random w/e placements from various applicants) and we can assume majority of the people applying will have a good reference.

This would leave us with the BMAT which is the criteria they'd look at most heavily. I know they say they take a holistic approach but looking at this I think a high BMAT score will be needed.

I think the PS also plays quite a big part since they are one of the few schools that actually mark the PS to this day. I know that this is for 2017 entry which is quite some time back but there was a student with 3.5, 4.9, 3A who was placed in Group 1. 3.0 3.0 would be too low but you probably don't need an amazingly good score to get an interview and there are quite a few that aren't in Group 1 even with a 7.0 7.0.
Original post by ukmed2022
I think the PS also plays quite a big part since they are one of the few schools that actually mark the PS to this day. I know that this is for 2017 entry which is quite some time back but there was a student with 3.5, 4.9, 3A who was placed in Group 1. 3.0 3.0 would be too low but you probably don't need an amazingly good score to get an interview and there are quite a few that aren't in Group 1 even with a 7.0 7.0.

uuh they mark personal statements? I was unaware of this. If you don't mind, where did you read this?
uuh they mark personal statements? I was unaware of this. If you don't mind, where did you read this?

They don't explicit state it, but UCL is "holistic" (i.e. vague) in how the judge their applicants.

They say they value extra-curricular activities so it's obvious that they will read through the PS because that's the only place they will know what you have done.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah I would assume so but do they actually mark it? It is very annoying how vague some of these things are
would you happen to know if they look at achieved a-levels more favourably than predicted?

yep i also asked them that too as im also gap yr applicant and they said they would look at us equally to other applicants
Original post by ammowammo
yep i also asked them that too as im also gap yr applicant and they said they would look at us equally to other applicants

Ahhh oh well it is what it is
Yeah I would assume so but do they actually mark it? It is very annoying how vague some of these things are

Yes, they do mark it, they are one of the few med schools left doing this
On their notice board:

Planned interview dates are: 15 December, 11 January, 12 January, 14 January, 18 January, 21 January, 27 January, 28 January, 2 February, 8 February, 9 February, 18 February, 3 March and 7 March. Planned interview dates for international candidates are: 27 January and 2 February.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, they do mark it, they are one of the few med schools left doing this

Where do they say they do this cos I can't seem to find it anywhere. Also then would you happen to know which other med schools do this? Thanks :smile:
Where do they say they do this cos I can't seem to find it anywhere. Also then would you happen to know which other med schools do this? Thanks :smile:

I am not sure they do say it explicitly on their website, but there are mark schemes on FOIs (though I suspect old ones, now).
Cardiff use PS, but it is a binary yes/no as to whether you meet their requirements.
Keele and Sunderland use the R&R form, which is their extended form of PS
Manchester use their NAI form, which is similar.

Most other places review it to make sure you have ticked the usual boxes and not said anythign stupid, but it would have to have something very odd to afect shortlisting, and some do not use it at all
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
I am not sure they do say it explicitly on their website, but there are mark schemes on FOIs (though I suspect old ones, now).
Cardiff use PS, but it is a binary yes/no as to whether you meet their requirements.
Keele and Sunderland use the R&R form, which is their extended form of PS
Manchester use their NAI form, which is similar.

Most other places review it to make sure you have ticked the usual boxes and not said anythign stupid, but it would have to have something very odd to afect shortlisting, and some do not use it at all

so for me then it is just ucl that use it in shortlisting. anyway hopefully it all goes well and bmat next week goes well for everyone too! thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by ukmed2022

whats these groups people keep talking about? where can i find the info, had a look online but theres only people mentioning it on tsr
Original post by candy6830
whats these groups people keep talking about? where can i find the info, had a look online but theres only people mentioning it on tsr

You can find it in FOIs
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending