yasmine57
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ALostPingu)
Focus on ur personal statement. Try and include extra curricular activities and any wex u have, explaining in detail what you gained from them. When writing ur PS, make sure you have hit all the bullet points of their selection criteria. UCL's shortlisting process is quite vague, some people with great BMAT's and grades didnt get an interview, so its hard to say what exactly you can do to boost ur chances. but definitely having a great PS hsould help
Thank you. Do you know where I could find the bullet points of their selection criteria.
ALostPingu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by yasmine57)
Thank you. Do you know where I could find the bullet points of their selection criteria.
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school...tion-procedure
yasmine57
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you!
ukmed2022
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi

I am interested in applying to UCL. I am an international student but if nobody knows about international student stats, just evaluate me assuming that I am a home student My stats are as following:

iGCSES: A*s for

IB predicted grades:
44 (777 in bio, chem, maths aa hl)

Extracurricular activities

Volunteering - Clinic
Work experience - 4 weeks offline at hospital, 2 weeks online clinical internship

Extracurriculars-
Fencing
Violin+orchestra (for many years)
Head student + multiple leadership experiences
Campaigning

Supercurriculars:
Mooc in medical-related stuff
multiple competitions in maths and bio
research papers

I honestly have quite a lot of ecs but the ones above are what I included in my ps and what I requested my teachers to add in their references. I also didn't try to be too specific to make sure that my personal information would not be revealed too much.

UCL med is my dream school but Cam med is also my dream school so my ps has quite a lot of supercurricular things but I have 4 lines on pure ecs and another paragraph on an ec that combines medicine.

Providing I do relatively well in BMAT, how good of a chance would I stand at getting an interview from UCL providing my PS and references are good?
Last edited by ukmed2022; 3 weeks ago
Jack2304
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by annonymous2003)
No need to worry about your GCSEs. UCL don't look at GCSEs further than their entry requirements which you meet. ( Entry Requirement ; 6 in English Language and Maths).
And not even that, i have a 4 in english language and it doesnt matter because i have my achieved IB grade which makes up for it! UCL really doesnt care about GCSEs that much
chewyzebra123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Anyone know what BMAT scores are needed at UCL? I found this FOI:

Our Response

Average BMAT Scores

2018 Section 1 Section 2
Applied 4.5 4.6
Invited 5.1 5.3

2019 Section 1 Section 2
Applied 4.3 4.6
Invited 4.9 5.2

2020 Section 1 Section 2
Applied 4.3 4.1
Invited 5.2 4.8

Wondering if anyone knows about 2021 entry? did it rise a lot? any information or just general consensus about what bmat score would be good would very appreciated
ukmed2022
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chewyzebra123)
Anyone know what BMAT scores are needed at UCL? I found this FOI:

Our Response

Average BMAT Scores

2018 Section 1 Section 2
Applied 4.5 4.6
Invited 5.1 5.3

2019 Section 1 Section 2
Applied 4.3 4.6
Invited 4.9 5.2

2020 Section 1 Section 2
Applied 4.3 4.1
Invited 5.2 4.8

Wondering if anyone knows about 2021 entry? did it rise a lot? any information or just general consensus about what bmat score would be good would very appreciated
UCL doesn't really care a lot about BMAT scores in comparison to other BMAT schools. Even if you have like the top tier 5% score, you aren't guranteed an interview, so I would say that if you have a 5 to 5.5, that would be average and should be okay? But this score does become an issue if you are also applying to other BMAT schools as well.
ukmed2022
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ukmed2022)
Hi

I am interested in applying to UCL. I am an international student but if nobody knows about international student stats, just evaluate me assuming that I am a home student My stats are as following:

iGCSES: A*s for

IB predicted grades:
44 (777 in bio, chem, maths aa hl)

Extracurricular activities

Volunteering - Clinic
Work experience - 4 weeks offline at hospital, 2 weeks online clinical internship

Extracurriculars-
Fencing
Violin+orchestra (for many years)
Head student + multiple leadership experiences
Campaigning

Supercurriculars:
Mooc in medical-related stuff
multiple competitions in maths and bio
research papers

I honestly have quite a lot of ecs but the ones above are what I included in my ps and what I requested my teachers to add in their references. I also didn't try to be too specific to make sure that my personal information would not be revealed too much.

UCL med is my dream school but Cam med is also my dream school so my ps has quite a lot of supercurricular things but I have 4 lines on pure ecs and another paragraph on an ec that combines medicine.

Providing I do relatively well in BMAT, how good of a chance would I stand at getting an interview from UCL providing my PS and references are good?
Could anybody please provide me feedback =((
olaapesinn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ukmed2022)
Could anybody please provide me feedback =((
As a home student thinking of applying to UCL myself, it difficult to say, they select international students in a different fashion to home students. You’ll need a really high BMAT and good personal statement as international applications are incredibly competitive as the universities typically have limited space for international students as they want mostly home students.

Sorry I hope that helps.
ammowammo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
what kind of things are ucl looking for in the personal statements?
srmedi2224
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ammowammo)
I am interested in an answer for this question too please - if anyone can shed some light? Thanks
GradMedic1923
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Does anyone know whether it matters how long ago grad applicants graduated? I graduated 3 years ago, and I'm unsure as to whether there's any time-limit grads have following their degrees to still be considered.
US123456
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I really want to go to UCL this year and I was just wondering if anyone could advise on chances of an interview providing I do well in BMAT

as other people in thread have said, they don't look at GCSES beyond min requirements for eng lang and maths in which I got 8 in both. I also have a 7 in french. (888888776)

I have achieved A-Levels of A*A*A bio psych chem

I've done a lot of work on my PS and general feedback from people I have got to read it says that it is strong.

Is an interview likely or is it impossible to tell?

Thanks
lara147
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by US123456)
Hi,

I really want to go to UCL this year and I was just wondering if anyone could advise on chances of an interview providing I do well in BMAT

as other people in thread have said, they don't look at GCSES beyond min requirements for eng lang and maths in which I got 8 in both. I also have a 7 in french. (888888776)

I have achieved A-Levels of A*A*A bio psych chem

I've done a lot of work on my PS and general feedback from people I have got to read it says that it is strong.

Is an interview likely or is it impossible to tell?

Thanks
I am a current UCL student and last year for us it was impossible to tell. There were students with stellar grades who just didn’t get interviewed. UCL seems to have a secretive selection- the whole process is holistic so doing well on one side doesn’t really matter. My best advice would be to do your best in every part of the application and not dwell on it. Try and focus on your grades after you send the UCAS applications and try not to stress over it! Good luck
US123456
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lara147)
I am a current UCL student and last year for us it was impossible to tell. There were students with stellar grades who just didn’t get interviewed. UCL seems to have a secretive selection- the whole process is holistic so doing well on one side doesn’t really matter. My best advice would be to do your best in every part of the application and not dwell on it. Try and focus on your grades after you send the UCAS applications and try not to stress over it! Good luck
Thanks just to clarify I have my a levels (I am a reapplicant as I didn't get in last year unfortunately) My first time doing BMAT this year though and prep is going well! Hopefully it all goes well
Radish Spirit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by srmedi2224)
I am interested in an answer for this question too please - if anyone can shed some light? Thanks
(Original post by ammowammo)
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school...tion-procedure this is ucls selection criteria, make sure to hit every bullet point in it when writing your ps. last year I applied but didn't get an interview cos I don't think I had hit every bullet point in sufficient detail. hopefully we can all get an interview this time!!
Last edited by Radish Spirit; 1 week ago
ThinkingRightNow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
anyone know if UCL will be panel or MMI this year?
User0015
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Does anyone know how many contextual offers UCL have given out int past 3 cycles? Not too sure if I should risk applying 😬
gghgggd5ht
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Should I include work experience on my personal statement or would it be pointless because they are sending out a form to fill in relation to it?
ALostPingu
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by gghgggd5ht)
Should I include work experience on my personal statement or would it be pointless because they are sending out a form to fill in relation to it?
u most certainly should. Theres no guarantee they'll send u a form cos i think only a sample get sent the form. secondly, u mention work experience so u can explain what u gained out of it, which is extremely importnat for a med ps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (46)
13.33%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
26.96%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.39%
I'm finding things difficult (116)
33.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed