The Student Room Group

King's College London A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm interested in King's and I'm wondering if my stats are good enough to get an interview:
GCSEs: 999999888
A-level predicted: A*A*A*
UCAT: 2880 Band 1
I go to a state school but my polar quntile is 5 so I don't think I'm contextual?? I'm not 100% sure
(edited 2 years ago)
Does anyone know roughly what the cut off was last year in that 150 point system they used?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by thatguysjokes123
Does anyone know roughly what the cut off was last year in that 150 point system they used?

120 apparently
Original post by keeno25
120 apparently

Wow really? In 2020, the lowest score invited to interview was 47.4
Original post by user987654123
Wow really? In 2020, the lowest score invited to interview was 47.4

most likely contextual
GCSEs and grade/subject breakdown

Maths-9
English Lit-9
English Lang-9
Chemistry-9
Biology-9
Physics-9
Economics-9
Computer Science-9
Geography-9
French-9
Additional Maths (FSMQ)- A

A levels, subjects and predictions
Predictions-
Maths A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Further Maths A*

UCAT and breakdown of subsections
VR 600
DM 760
QR 870
AR 800
Total - 3030
SJT band 3
Brief mention of work experience
Volunteered at a charity shop 2 months.
BSMS + Observe GP.

Not contextual nor do I have any WP flags

Hi and thanks for taking your time to read this. Would I have made the interview cut-off last year, also is it too risky or should I apply to KCL this year?

I think anyone with a band 3 would be taking a big risk considering how ucat heavy kings is
Original post by keeno25
most likely contextual

Hey I have a question. If my polar quintile is 5 does that mean my GCSE scores get halved?

This is what they said in their FOI for reference:

"GCSE points were awarded according to the number of A*s achieved at GCSE (subject is not considered). Less than 5 scored 0, 5 scored 10, 6 scored 20, 7 scored 30, 8+ scored 40. Scores were adjusted according relevant to the quintile GCSE attainment of the school. If the school performance was one of the lowest two quintiles then we also counted A grades achieved at GCSE towards the A* count mentioned above. For schools in the 3rd quintile, each A grade is considered equivalent to 0.5 of an A*. For schools in the top two quintiles, no adjustment is made."
Hiya! I saw that this was a forum for the Med 2022 entry for Kings and I was wondering if there was anyone that could give me an idea of if I had a chance of getting in if I applied this year?
My GCSEs: 4 8s, 3 7s, 2 6s and 1 5
A Level Predicted: Maths (A), Biology (A), Chemistry (A*) and EPQ (A*/A)
UCAT: 2460 score and Band 2
I know the score is low, I'm disappointed in myself for it but I wanted to know if I still had a chance. I'm also aware that I'm probably lower on competitive scales but I was wondering about my chances if I did choose to apply - would I at least get called in for an interview?
(To Note; I come into Polar Quintile 3 but I don't think I come in high for rankings in the Extended Med course or contexuals)

Thank you!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by MidnightStudio
Hiya! I saw that this was a forum for the Med 2022 entry for Kings and I was wondering if there was anyone that could give me an idea of if I had a chance of getting in if I applied this year?
My GCSEs: 4 8s, 3 7s, 2 6s and 1 5
A Level Predicted: Maths (A), Biology (A), Chemistry (A*) and EPQ (A*/A)
UCAT: 2460 score and Band 2
I know the score is low, I'm disappointed in myself for it but I wanted to know if I still had a chance. I'm also aware that I'm probably lower on competitive scales but I was wondering about my chances if I did choose to apply - would I at least get called in for an interview?
(To Note; I come into Polar Quintile 3 but I don't think I come in high for rankings in the Extended Med course or contexuals)

Thank you!!

If you really want to go then go for it. Last night I saw this TikTok where someone got into Kings last year with a UCAT score of 2400. But he said that he made sure that his personal statement was strong and he did a quite bit of volunteering & work experience. I will admit it’s risky but if you don’t want to have the regret of not applying I guess do it.
Original post by ShadowHokage
If you really want to go then go for it. Last night I saw this TikTok where someone got into Kings last year with a UCAT score of 2400. But he said that he made sure that his personal statement was strong and he did a quite bit of volunteering & work experience. I will admit it’s risky but if you don’t want to have the regret of not applying I guess do it.

Alrighty! Thank you so much!!
Original post by 32jeerkah
I think anyone with a band 3 would be taking a big risk considering how ucat heavy kings is

I found out recently that for a home non contextual applicant you can score a maximum of 150, SJT is worth 10 of those 150 points so about 6.66% of the application is SJT, whereas 100 points was given to the UCAT score itself. Assuming they keep a similar system I'll probably still take a shot cause I'm hearing 130-135 points was probably safe last year.
I found out recently that for a home non contextual applicant you can score a maximum of 150, SJT is worth 10 of those 150 points so about 6.66% of the application is SJT, whereas 100 points was given to the UCAT score itself. Assuming they keep a similar system I'll probably still take a shot cause I'm hearing 130-135 points was probably safe last year.

we don't even know if they used the scoring system last year as this was for 2020 entry
Original post by keeno25
we don't even know if they used the scoring system last year as this was for 2020 entry

They did, I saw it on an FOI
Actually they do say future cycles are subject to change @keeno25, you're right my bad. I hope they'll disclose any major changes to their pre interview selection process. If not I'll assume the system's weightings wouldn't change too much hopefully. Does anyone know if they'll respond to FOIs about the 2021 cycle.
(edited 2 years ago)
Actually they do say future cycles are subject to change @keeno25, you're right my bad. I hope they'll disclose any major changes to their pre interview selection process. If not I'll assume the system's weightings wouldn't change too much hopefully. Does anyone know if they'll respond to FOIs about the 2021 cycle.

my guess is that they will put heavier waiting on ucat this year compared to gcses. As everyone applying this year has high gcses due to the TAGs given last year. Hence the ucat is the easiest to differentiate people. Just my guess though
Original post by keeno25
my guess is that they will put heavier waiting on ucat this year compared to gcses. As everyone applying this year has high gcses due to the TAGs given last year. Hence the ucat is the easiest to differentiate people. Just my guess though

Yh that makes sense
Reply 96

Kings do not use PS in shortlisting
Original post by GANFYD
Kings do not use PS in shortlisting

Oh, well that’s what the medical student said. I guess he just got very lucky then!
Reply 98
Oh, well that’s what the medical student said. I guess he just got very lucky then!

I am not an internet expert, but I am sure that is not the only explanation for why somebody got in with alleged stats totally different to the vast majority of applicants :lol:
Original post by GANFYD
I am not an internet expert, but I am sure that is not the only explanation for why somebody got in with alleged stats totally different to the vast majority of applicants :lol:

Honestly, I thought he was lying at first or maybe he got in through a foundation year but it was actually true so I’m not sure what happened. If I do scroll past his TikTok page next time, I will send you a link 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending