The Student Room Group

Is a master's degree guarantee the phd acceptance?

Is a master's degree guarantee the phd acceptance?
For instance, If I get MS in Stanford (or in the others top uni not only in the US but in the UK, for example), are there any chances that after my graduating (supposedly, quite successful) I will be allowed to write PHD thesis in this uni?
How does this process (this empty space between MS and PHD) work?
Thanks!
No.
Obtaining a masters does not guarantee any student the offer of a PhD place from their uni that awarded the masters.
No, you typically submit a full PhD application and research proposal like everyone else. That's before we even mention the word: funding. If you do want to progress up some do stipulate you have to get over a certain grade in the masters to even apply. However there is no harm at all doing a masters in the place you want to do a PhD in, you might be able to build a strong relationship with your master's thesis supervisor and then have them supervise your PhD for example. So being real there can be advantages but there is no guarantee.
For funded places in non-stem subjects, you'd need a good first class undergrad plus a good distinction in the masters to be competitive. So in that context, a master's does not guaranteed you a PhD place.

For self funded PhD places, a decent merit will likely get you offers from almost all UK universities with the exception of Oxbridge, always assuming that the institution has the right expertise to supervise your research. That said, your chance of being offered even a self funded place at the more established universities is likely to be low unless you achieve a respectable grade (at least a merit, but preferably 65+) in your masters. Sometimes a decent proposal can overcome bad masters grades, and some institutions may be more lax towards their masters students, but this is by no means guaranteed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending