The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't attempt to convince her.
Nor any traditionalist members of your family or religious people of any religion that you know very well.
Wait until you have moved out, have financial independence and access to a stable pay check- then wear whatever you like.
Always put your health and physical safety first.
Original post by Anonymous
all i want to wear are cute tank tops or skirts without tights, but i have a strict muslim mum who won't let me.
i'm turning 18 in 6 months and i feel like im old enough to wear what i want, but how do i convince my mom ://
i dont even want to wear inappropriate things just more revealing stuff ugh

Only solution is to change your outfit when you leave the home at school or at a public toilet or shop.
start off with tank tops and jeans and say that its only your shoulders and eventually work your way from there
there is no convincing. it’s just not gonna happen I’m sorry.
Original post by londonmyst
Don't attempt to convince her.
Nor any traditionalist members of your family or religious people of any religion that you know very well.
Wait until you have moved out, have financial independence and access to a stable pay check- then wear whatever you like.
Always put your health and physical safety first.

I agree. Just wear the clothes and then change them later. I don't think it is possible to convince very traditional or cultural or fundamentalist people.
Reply 6
all i want to wear are cute tank tops or skirts without tights, but i have a strict muslim mum who won't let me.
i'm turning 18 in 6 months and i feel like im old enough to wear what i want, but how do i convince my mom ://

do what someone else suggested and just change when you leave the house..
She's doing for your own good. Once men see that bit of skin, they'll go rabid. Catcalling, harrasment, wolf whistling, the lot. Just wear normal clothes.
Reply 8

Wot, muslim girls are also liberating???
All good answers here - Make your own decision - you don't need to think that there is a right or wrong answer because none of us know the full story
I agree. Just wear the clothes and then change them later. I don't think it is possible to convince very traditional or cultural or fundamentalist people.

PRSOM.

The only problem of sneakily changing outfits while living in shared accomodation and being financially dependent upon traditionist or religious individuals is the high risk of being subjected to extremely severe consequences if seen/gossiped about.
Original post by londonmyst
PRSOM.

The only problem of sneakily changing outfits while living in shared accomodation and being financially dependent upon traditionist or religious individuals is the high risk of being subjected to extremely severe consequences if seen/gossiped about.

I know but chances are they wont get caught. So she can go to college or university in jeans and then change to wear the miniskirt or crop top while in the toilets/gym or changing room.

If they get caught, which is unlikely, they can apologise and say they won't do it again.

Original post by Wannabevetnurse
She's doing for your own good. Once men see that bit of skin, they'll go rabid. Catcalling, harrasment, wolf whistling, the lot. Just wear normal clothes.

It is their own fault. They should control themselves and respect her, even if skin is showing. It is not a woman's fault for being harassed. Men should respect her regardless of clothes.

Move out for university.
I know but chances are they wont get caught. So she can go to college or university in jeans and then change to wear the miniskirt or crop top while in the toilets/gym or changing room.

If they get caught, which is unlikely, they can apologise and say they won't do it again.

It is their own fault. They should control themselves and respect her, even if skin is showing. It is not a woman's fault for being harassed. Men should respect her regardless of clothes.

yh but not all men think like that, very little do actually and I think ur mum is trying to protect u from them. You can't change the view points men have it's what they have always been taught so yh they're arrogant. I'm a girl and liek literally living in the same scenario but yh men are arrogant beings who sadly won't change
Original post by BTS IS HOT
yh but not all men think like that, very little do actually and I think ur mum is trying to protect u from them. You can't change the view points men have it's what they have always been taught so yh they're arrogant. I'm a girl and liek literally living in the same scenario but yh men are arrogant beings who sadly won't change

If she wants to dress in revealing clothes, both online or in real life. it is up to her. But if she is financially dependant on her family, it is better to just listen or live a double life. I don't know to be honest there is no convincing strict or traditional parents.
probably won’t work out. My family is quite religious also. Something happened with my sister and family and she cut us off for 2 years. In the end, we do speak to her now but she’s gotten married with a nigerian guy (my parents would’ve never approved to this) and has had her own child. Her clothing has also changed, from hijabi to not hijabi, wearing tight dresses and what not. On her instagram, the clothing is more revealing but ofc i think she does try her best to cover her skin when she comes over. My mum just says “may allah guide her” and my dad has asked her why she took off the hijab, but they can’t really do much. They just hope I don’t turn out the same way.

Long story short : what the others said - wait till you’ve left the house and you’re independent.
y

If she wants to dress in revealing clothes, both online or in real life. it is up to her. But if she is financially dependant on her family, it is better to just listen or live a double life. I don't know to be honest there is no convincing strict or traditional parents.

yh i said its up to her in my previous post I was only talking about men so yup.
so true half these people here don't even have strict parents and if she does change her clothes later well then her parents would get angry at her and upset
Original post by Wannabevetnurse

not necessarily. Anyways, that shouldn't be a reason she can't wear the clothes she likes/feels confident in.
Original post by BTS IS HOT
so true half these people here don't even have strict parents and if she does change her clothes later well then her parents would get angry at her and upset

Why does the OP not move out for university? A lot of people do.

Latest

Trending

Trending