The Student Room Group

I don't want to study medicine anymore. Feeling depressed.

I had my hopes on studying medicine. After completing my undergrad I decided to work as a HCA to gain some work experience before applying to grad med. After working for a year, I'm thinking working as an NHS doctor isn't for me. I've had complete tunnel vision this whole time, so to get out of it feels surreal. It feels weird to be giving up on my ex-dream. Feel very depressed and unmotivated. I'm already 24 now as well, with a science undergrad under my belt. I think I might go into banking? Can anyone give me advise on how to move forward? Considering doing a masters then go into finance/banking? Anyone else gone through this?
Yep, happened with me and teaching. Wanted to be a teacher since 19. Done my degree and then went onto a teaching course.

Dropped out in the first year due to personal family circumstances and thus had to re-apply for another year.

Little did I know that there would be strings attached for this. I was told when I left, when I came back it would be a clean slate. Head of the course leaves who told me this and the new leader hands me a “learning contract” where I needed to be at least x far by a certain point because I had “experience” - if you include 5 lessons as experience!

In the end I dropped out after thinking it wasn’t worth the stress and the complete lack of support the uni provided.

I’m now using my initial degree (Biomedical Science), albeit I’m only an MLA (yes right now the pay is beyond crap) until I can get a HCPC to actually be a Biomedical Scientist but I am SO MUCH HAPPIER than I was teaching and spending 60 hour weeks doing a very thankless job...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scienceisgood
Yep, happened with me and teaching. Wanted to be a teacher since 19. Done my degree and then went onto a teaching course.

Dropped out in the first year due to personal family circumstances and thus had to re-apply for another year.

Little did I know that there would be strings attached for this. I was told when I left, when I came back it would be a clean slate. Head of the course leaves who told me this and the new leader hands me a “learning contract” where I needed to be at least x far by a certain point because I had “experience” - if you include 5 lessons as experience!

In the end I dropped out after thinking it wasn’t worth the stress and the complete lack of support the uni provided.

I’m now using my initial degree (Biomedical Science), albeit I’m only an MLA (yes right now the pay is beyond crap) until I can get a HCPC to actually be a Biomedical Scientist but I am SO MUCH HAPPIER than I was teaching and spending 60 hour weeks doing a very thankless job...

Wow, what kind of teaching training was this for? Secondary school? Glad you're happy now where you are! I think that's honestly what its all about...
Original post by Anonymous
Wow, what kind of teaching training was this for? Secondary school? Glad you're happy now where you are! I think that's honestly what its all about...

Yep, secondary science teacher.

There were a few VERY nice kids but a lot of the kids tried to piss you off for the sake of doing so. One particular thing stood out to me.

Once a kid was asking me if he could go to the toilet. When it got to the 4th time in about 15 mins, I thought maybe he actually does need to go and let him go (this was the lesson immediately after lunch so he had a whole hour to go).

When I do let him go, when he gets up, his strategically placed apple juice box in his pocket squeezes and it looks like he wet himself in front of me. I was mortified until I noticed the smell a few mins later and the colour didn’t look like pee to say the least (unless he was very dehydrated and diabetic i.e the smell was super sweet).

That was my first time when I asked myself “I’m breaking my balls trying to help these kids and all I get is crap for doing so, do I really want to be here?”. In the end the answer was no, especially with days which started at 6 and ended at 6 and also included 5-6 hours in a Saturday... only for kids to start to hate you for giving them homework...
Reply 4
Original post by Scienceisgood
Yep, secondary science teacher.

There were a few VERY nice kids but a lot of the kids tried to piss you off for the sake of doing so. One particular thing stood out to me.

Once a kid was asking me if he could go to the toilet. When it got to the 4th time in about 15 mins, I thought maybe he actually does need to go and let him go (this was the lesson immediately after lunch so he had a whole hour to go).

When I do let him go, when he gets up, his strategically placed apple juice box in his pocket squeezes and it looks like he wet himself in front of me. I was mortified until I noticed the smell a few mins later and the colour didn’t look like pee to say the least (unless he was very dehydrated and diabetic i.e the smell was super sweet).

That was my first time when I asked myself “I’m breaking my balls trying to help these kids and all I get is crap for doing so, do I really want to be here?”. In the end the answer was no, especially with days which started at 6 and ended at 6 and also included 5-6 hours in a Saturday... only for kids to start to hate you for giving them homework...

Yeah good thing you got out of it when you did, sounds like you dodged a bullet!! That sounds so awful and infuriating.

Quick Reply

Latest