The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Direct entry to second year of uni

So I'm thinking of going to St Andrew's uni in September 2022 and hoping to go directly into second year (its an option for high achieving students from schools in England). If anyone's done this, how does skipping first year affect the student experience? Like do you still get all the introduction to the uni, freshers week and anything like that? Just asking because there doesn't seem that much info out there... Thanks x
Original post by sister of turtle
So I'm thinking of going to St Andrew's uni in September 2022 and hoping to go directly into second year (its an option for high achieving students from schools in England). If anyone's done this, how does skipping first year affect the student experience? Like do you still get all the introduction to the uni, freshers week and anything like that? Just asking because there doesn't seem that much info out there... Thanks x

freshers week is absolutely for everyone! normally there are loads of events for people to get to know each other across the week and everyone from 1st year to 4th year takes part so that’s not a concern if you want to go straight to direct entry.

with regards to direct entry, i’d hesitate unless you’re really set on your chosen subject. the flexibility of the 4 year degree means that for the first two years, you get to choose other modules alongside your degree path, which means that should you decide to, you could switch onto a joint honours programme or switch degree paths entirely. plus 1st year really is just a lot of fun! you’ll hear a lot of people say 1st year “doesn’t matter” which isn’t entirely true but it’s mostly about getting everyone on the same page, and also letting you dip into different subjects. however, if you’re really set on it, go for it! you can always email admissions for more information if there’s not a lot of info on the website - hope this helps!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending