The Student Room Group

Mental health and medical school (DBS check)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I’ve got an offer to study at medical school this September. However, I have a long history of mental health problems and I’m very worried that information may show up in my DBS check since I have been on section 136, 52, 54, 2 and 3 multiple times (for risk to self) and been reported as a missing person more than once. I have already disclosed that I have a mental health condition but am unsure about how much more I need to disclose. I have been completely discharged from mental health services but am very worried that my history may prevent me from be allowed to study. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, which medical school do you have an offer to study at? Different med schools have different procedures so you can check out their pastoral page on their website.

Congrats on the offers!
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I’ve got an offer to study at medical school this September. However, I have a long history of mental health problems and I’m very worried that information may show up in my DBS check since I have been on section 136, 52, 54, 2 and 3 multiple times (for risk to self) and been reported as a missing person more than once. I have already disclosed that I have a mental health condition but am unsure about how much more I need to disclose. I have been completely discharged from mental health services but am very worried that my history may prevent me from be allowed to study. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, whilst s136 of the Mental Health Act is technically an arrest, it doesn't come up in the list of things that are automatically disclosed e.g. violent offences, sexual offences etc.

However, when the police are asked to supply information, they can make a comment and disclose anything that they think is relevant to the role applied for. However, the guidance states that use/detention under s135(1) or s136 is not usually sufficient for a disclosure. However, it is up to the police force.

I have been detained under s136 a number of times and I work in mental health so I have an extended DBS and it has never come up for me. No detention under s2,3,4,5(2) or 5(4) will come up as it doesn't involve the police.

You can find more info here... https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/dbs-checks-and-your-mental-health/what-will-show-up-on-a-dbs-check/

Quick Reply

Latest