Is 22 and 17 too big an age difference?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Ok, first off, as an Anglo-American whose trying to decide between moving to Canada or the Home Isles, hello British brothers. 😉

Now onto the bulk of it, so my best friend who I met through politics introduced me to his best friend and tried to set us up 7 months ago, we started dating 6 months ago.

I’m 22, he’s 17, we started dating when I was 21 and he was 16. I have Autism and am developmentally delayed so I’m about 16/17 mentally. My therapist is all like, given the circumstances, it’s ok.

It’s legal here, there, and where we are both planning to end up (Wales). We both seem to be on the same wavelength but after some criticism from some friends (not all of them) I feel unsure at times, I’m close to beating my fears, but sometimes I just have like a brief moment of worry.

It’s ok, right?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok, first off, as an Anglo-American whose trying to decide between moving to Canada or the Home Isles, hello British brothers. 😉

Now onto the bulk of it, so my best friend who I met through politics introduced me to his best friend and tried to set us up 7 months ago, we started dating 6 months ago.

I’m 22, he’s 17, we started dating when I was 21 and he was 16. I have Autism and am developmentally delayed so I’m about 16/17 mentally. My therapist is all like, given the circumstances, it’s ok.

It’s legal here, there, and where we are both planning to end up (Wales). We both seem to be on the same wavelength but after some criticism from some friends (not all of them) I feel unsure at times, I’m close to beating my fears, but sometimes I just have like a brief moment of worry.

It’s ok, right?
Honestly, it is no one else's business. I was 21 when I fell in love with this 17 year old girl, who acted mature. She was eighteen that same year. At the end of the day, what difference will any of our opinions make? If you like each other, so be it.
username5649070
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It’s fine no worries, who cares what others think!
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
nah bruv thats weird
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A bit weird at first glance since one party is under the age of 18 while the other is 21+, but given the situation, it probably isn't too bad. I am sure once he is 18-20+ people will stop caring.
Noshot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Picking up nonce vibes, if you had to ask the question then you probably know the answer.
username5600688
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There is something about being under 18 that is off putting to me. If you told me 18-22, I'd say no issues at all, que sera sera.
deadroseex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You’re alright! Don’t worry!
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 4 months ago
Why not just wait until you're an adult? It's nobody's business after that.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
I feel like it's a little weird; I have autism and am neurodivergent, but I couldn't even think of dating someone below 18.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.19%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.18%
No I am happy with my choice (117)
55.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.66%

Watched Threads