The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths or Govt. Politics?

Hi all,
Hope you’re good.

I just wanted your help in deciding my A-Levels.
I am planning to study A-Level History & Geography from the next academic year.
For the 3rd, I am unable to decide between Maths & Politics.

Hence, would you mind letting me know your opinions on which subject would be better?
I don’t have much future plans, but I am generally interested in Journalism, Geopolitics, Demography, History, Geography, etc. And I plan to do a Geography Degree.

If you’ve studied History, Geography, Government & Politics and/ or Maths, feel free to let me know!
You can also tell me which other subjects could be useful (like Sociology, Psychology, Economics, Religious Studies, Business Studies, etc.) incase you’ve studied those!
Thank you!!
Original post by AchyutChaudhary
Hi all,
Hope you’re good.

I just wanted your help in deciding my A-Levels.
I am planning to study A-Level History & Geography from the next academic year.
For the 3rd, I am unable to decide between Maths & Politics.

Hence, would you mind letting me know your opinions on which subject would be better?
I don’t have much future plans, but I am generally interested in Journalism, Geopolitics, Demography, History, Geography, etc. And I plan to do a Geography Degree.

If you’ve studied History, Geography, Government & Politics and/ or Maths, feel free to let me know!
You can also tell me which other subjects could be useful (like Sociology, Psychology, Economics, Religious Studies, Business Studies, etc.) incase you’ve studied those!
Thank you!!

personally to study Maths i would say that u should be good at physics as u would need that in mechanics. And tbh pure is very hard, i am doing it now and it is really hard for me, but how u understand the subject depends on ur knowledge and business studies is a really good course as well.
I would do maths. I did English Lit, History, and Maths, but it turned out to be Maths that really helped my understanding of my other subjects. It's great with history, and I imagine it'll work well with the maths side of geography. For me, I did just want some variation from writing essays and maths did that.
As a side note, I discovered my uni's I applied to really loved that I did maths. Shows you're versitile.
Original post by englishlitgal03
I would do maths. I did English Lit, History, and Maths, but it turned out to be Maths that really helped my understanding of my other subjects. It's great with history, and I imagine it'll work well with the maths side of geography. For me, I did just want some variation from writing essays and maths did that.
As a side note, I discovered my uni's I applied to really loved that I did maths. Shows you're versitile.

ohh yh maths do well with geography.
Reply 4
Very few, if any university courses require Politics A level but lots require Maths so you'd keep you options more open if you chose Maths. (And it would also be a benefit in a Geograpjhy degree).

That said, you'd be better off with a A in Politics than a C in Maths.

Quick Reply