SR21XXX
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
What is UCAS?
What is UCAS points?
Why do I need to work to earn UCAS points?
I am in Yr 12 right now, when shall i start to apply for University?
When should I write out my personal statement?
How many UCAS point do I need to get into a good University?
lilo16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You apply to uni via UCAS. The points are kinda outdated no one really uses that anymore. each a level grade like A* is 48 points I believe, but when they give your offer it will just be the grades and you could get contextual offer if you do an EPQ. You'll probably start your application around summer to first term year 13 so don't worry about it too much now and you'll also write your personal statement then
Bangor Uni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by SR21XXX)
What is UCAS?
What is UCAS points?
Why do I need to work to earn UCAS points?
I am in Yr 12 right now, when shall i start to apply for University?
When should I write out my personal statement?
How many UCAS point do I need to get into a good University?
Hi SR21XXX,

UCAS is a platform used to connect Universities with students. Most UK students will apply to University through UCAS. UCAS points translate your qualifications into a numerical value, so if you had an A* at A Level this would be 56 UCAS points. Have a look at this site for more information on points and the different values given to each qualification - https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/w...-tariff-points. You get points for a range of qualifications including college courses, so if you are studying a BTEC for example this would also be worth UCAS points.

UCAS points are what most Universities look at to make student an offer. So on most University courses you'll see that the Entry Requirement (What Universities ask you to achieve to get on to the course) have a UCAS tariff point associated with them. So for example our law course currently asks for 80-128 UCAS tariff points and you can achieve this from all sorts of qualifications as mentioned earlier. Be aware some courses will ask for certain qualifications to have contributed to your tariff points so our Zoology course for example would ask that you have studies at least one science A Level or have a certain amount of merits in Biology on a BTEC National/Extended Diploma. There are often also some GCSE requirements.

As you are in year 12 you will need to start looking at Universities soon and considering where and what you want to study. UCAS hold some fairs (Virtual for the time) where you can come and chat to different Universities and ask some questions about the University or the course. Your school/college will be going through UCAS Applications with you and should provide some help as to how to go about this and when. The deadline for submission is usually around January (so 2022 for yourself) but it's good to try and get the application sent off before this date. Most schools/colleges will start work on the applications after summer.

It's never too early to get started on your personal statement as you can work on it throughout the year. Take a look here for some help - https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement. We've also put together a video guide that can help - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/get-ready-f...onal-statement.

Courses can vary within Universities as to how many UCAS points you need. It's good for you too also look into the University's other aspects not only tariff points to see if you can see yourself living and studying there. You may want to research into the quality of teaching, location, accommodation, student support and attend some (Virtual) Open Days before making your final decision. The good thing is you can choose to apply for 5 courses in UCAS before making your final choice

Hope this helps! If you do have any more questions feel free to DM us or reply here
Thanks
Rhian
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (76)
37.44%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (22)
10.84%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (14)
6.9%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (50)
24.63%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.32%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.88%

Watched Threads