GES Assistant Economist Mainstream 2021

Watch
spooniestudent
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys, there didn't seem to be a thread for this year yet so I thought I'd start one off! I'm a little stressed by the application process since you can't edit once you've submitted each page. Does anyone know what the blind CV means in practice? What do I have to leave off? Just my university name?
ss23ss
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I just submitted the initial application (before doing the initial tests). After reviewing my application, I noticed the section about qualifications: Qualifications required: Please include your degree, modules and grade on your CV.

Applicants will need to possess or will be expected to have a first or upper second-class honours degree. Here are the essential criteria:

• Hold an Economics degree.
• If you completed a joint degree, at least 50% of the modules must be economics or have a MSc in economics.
• Modules must have covered both micro and macroeconomics to qualify.
• If you graduated more than five years ago then you must have examples of how you have maintained your economic knowledge on the technical section of the application form

-

But I did not see space to provide the information? Did you? Or anyone else??
spooniestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by ss23ss)
Hi, I just submitted the initial application (before doing the initial tests). After reviewing my application, I noticed the section about qualifications: Qualifications required: Please include your degree, modules and grade on your CV.

Applicants will need to possess or will be expected to have a first or upper second-class honours degree. Here are the essential criteria:

• Hold an Economics degree.
• If you completed a joint degree, at least 50% of the modules must be economics or have a MSc in economics.
• Modules must have covered both micro and macroeconomics to qualify.
• If you graduated more than five years ago then you must have examples of how you have maintained your economic knowledge on the technical section of the application form

-

But I did not see space to provide the information? Did you? Or anyone else??
I haven't started filling in the application yet as I'm waiting for a meeting with my uni's careers advisors to help me fill in the section for the disability confidence scheme. Makes me super nervous how you can't go back and edit when you move to the next page! I scrolled through the forum for last year's applications and it seems like then you were supposed to list your modules and grades in the CV section - as in they gave you a box to basically type up your CV in. Was it like that this year?
91adama
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone know how likely it is you get accepted if you took a BA in joint economics degree? Would love to get into this scheme but unsure if it may be above my ability. Wondering if it would have been better if i did a Bsc.
spooniestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by 91adama)
Does anyone know how likely it is you get accepted if you took a BA in joint economics degree? Would love to get into this scheme but unsure if it may be above my ability. Wondering if it would have been better if i did a Bsc.
If you have at least 50% of your modules as economics (that's all the requirement they state) I'd say you'd have as a good a chance as any to get through to the interviews to demonstrate your knowledge! Besides your other modules will give you another perspective/skill base you know?
91adama
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I have 50% and done better than I thought I would have and on course for a first. Do you know what specific economic skills they are looking for, I presume quantitative methods or statistical skills
spooniestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by 91adama)
Yes I have 50% and done better than I thought I would have and on course for a first. Do you know what specific economic skills they are looking for, I presume quantitative methods or statistical skills
With a first you'll be fine for sure! And I think they're mostly testing us on standard micro and macro in the assessment centre - they reccomend a couple of textbooks for revising which were my second year books (Varian for micro and Carlin and soskice for macro) Quant skills are always useful of course but not as crucial cos I think they give you lots of training on that
Radical Lemon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by spooniestudent)
I haven't started filling in the application yet as I'm waiting for a meeting with my uni's careers advisors to help me fill in the section for the disability confidence scheme. Makes me super nervous how you can't go back and edit when you move to the next page! I scrolled through the forum for last year's applications and it seems like then you were supposed to list your modules and grades in the CV section - as in they gave you a box to basically type up your CV in. Was it like that this year?
Bit confused by the CV section, do you think we're supposed to list our university module grades and then talk about previous skills and experience?
2PllsIPp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Radical Lemon)
Bit confused by the CV section, do you think we're supposed to list our university module grades and then talk about previous skills and experience?
I emailed them about this and they responded that they only need degree title & list of modules with grades and that any other info regarding skills & experience is redundant
spooniestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2PllsIPp)
I emailed them about this and they responded that they only need degree title & list of modules with grades and that any other info regarding skills & experience is redundant
So there's no relevance to work experience at all?? That's so weird. I'd have thought that was an opportunity to show the civil service competencies and stuff. Is there a section for references or anything? Feel like my work experience was a waste of time now lol
spooniestudent
Rep:
?
What are you all putting for predicted grades? My uni diesnt give you predictions or anything so whilst I can make a good prediction for myself I worry itll seem like I'm just making stuff up
2PllsIPp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So there's no relevance to work experience at all?? That's so weird. I'd have thought that was an opportunity to show the civil service competencies and stuff. Is there a section for references or anything? Feel like my work experience was a waste of time now lol
I think they ask for references at a later stage. As far as mentioning your work experience etc, I guess there's no harm in it, at worst they'll just ignore it.
Radical Lemon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 2PllsIPp)
I think they ask for references at a later stage. As far as mentioning your work experience etc, I guess there's no harm in it, at worst they'll just ignore it.
The selection process seems fairly clear that we'll be sifted on our degree modules only, so previous skills/experience seem to be redundant as you said.

Selection process details
Stage 1: Register
Stage 2: Short application form
Stage 3: Online tests (verbal and numerical)
Stage 4: If minimum standard of online tests are met, you will be invited to fill out the full application form including your degree modules
Stage 5: Online tests - pass mark set review period (admin process)
Stage 6: Sift – If successful at the online test stage, you will be sifted on your degree modules using the above criteria.
Stage 7: Those passing the sift, will be taken forward to an assessment day, with assessments taking place virtually. At the Assessment Centre, candidates’ knowledge of economics will be tested along with strength and behaviour competences.
spooniestudent
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Anyone else done the tests yet? How did you find them? I'm wondering what the sifting score will be like because I did v well on the numerical one (99%) but not great on the verbal (64%). Do you think they'd pick say someone with 80, 80 over me?
atyourservice
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Anyone else done the tests yet? How did you find them? I'm wondering what the sifting score will be like because I did v well on the numerical one (99%) but not great on the verbal (64%). Do you think they'd pick say someone with 80, 80 over me?
What type of questions were asked on the numerical test? Basic GCSE maths or more advanced?

And also what roles is everyone applying for at the GES; they’re recruiting for over 90.
atyourservice
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also when does this scheme actually begin, September 2021?

It isn’t listed anywhere.
spooniestudent
Rep:
?
Yeah GCSE stuff, percentages, basic addition etc - often the skill is picking out the relevant numbers. And you dont apply to a specific role - if they accept you you can put a preference for a department (and you put a preference for location in the initial application) but no guarantee you get it. I'm probably gonna put BEIS or DEFRA. the full list and descriptions of the roles are on the webpage - a couple of them require extra security checks and stuff
atyourservice
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah GCSE stuff, percentages, basic addition etc - often the skill is picking out the relevant numbers. And you dont apply to a specific role - if they accept you you can put a preference for a department (and you put a preference for location in the initial application) but no guarantee you get it. I'm probably gonna put BEIS or DEFRA. the full list and descriptions of the roles are on the webpage - a couple of them require extra security checks and stuff
Thank you for this. Would you say there are departments that are easier to get into than others?

The salary is quite low at 27k for London, does anyone know what the progression is like. Also when does the scheme begin, September of this year?
spooniestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by atyourservice)
Thank you for this. Would you say there are departments that are easier to get into than others?

The salary is quite low at 27k for London, does anyone know what the progression is like. Also when does the scheme begin, September of this year?
Probably easier to get into the ones with more spaces available- DEFRA has like a third of all openings. But you dont have to be strategic since you only choose once you're already accepted. Some departments pay a bit more I think and I progression is pretty good I think - there's more details in the candidate pack. No idea when it actually starts but probably September.
atyourservice
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Probably easier to get into the ones with more spaces available- DEFRA has like a third of all openings. But you dont have to be strategic since you only choose once you're already accepted. Some departments pay a bit more I think and I progression is pretty good I think - there's more details in the candidate pack. No idea when it actually starts but probably September.
Thank you.

Have you completed the numerical and verbal reasoning tests yet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (161)
41.93%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (56)
14.58%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (159)
41.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.08%

Watched Threads