The Student Room Group

Dropping out finance confusion

Hi, I am in S2 Y2 of a 3 year course and I am considering dropping out. I am entitled to the full loan, so I was given ~£3000 this term.

Everything I have read indicates that I will immediately have to pay back a portion of that £3000 and the maintainance and tuition fees for the last 2 years will be paid back just like a normal loan (once I am making enough money)

However, my partner left uni in Y1S1, and has been made to immediately pay back £5000, which is roughly the maintainance plus 25% of the tuition, which seems like it shouldn't be the case?

If I drop out now will I only owe a couple thousand, or will I have to start repaying like £20000?

Cheers
Original post by Resoplast_2464
Hi, I am in S2 Y2 of a 3 year course and I am considering dropping out. I am entitled to the full loan, so I was given ~£3000 this term.

Everything I have read indicates that I will immediately have to pay back a portion of that £3000 and the maintainance and tuition fees for the last 2 years will be paid back just like a normal loan (once I am making enough money)

However, my partner left uni in Y1S1, and has been made to immediately pay back £5000, which is roughly the maintainance plus 25% of the tuition, which seems like it shouldn't be the case?

If I drop out now will I only owe a couple thousand, or will I have to start repaying like £20000?

Cheers

You’re only required to repay tuition fees if you leave within the first 2 weeks of a term (which means SFE don’t pay that terms fee instalment to your university) AND if your university fee policy demands payment for fees not covered by SFE.

You won’t owe any tuition fee payments to SFE if you drop out. You need to check your university fee policy for withdrawal to find out what they might demand.

If you drop out then SFE will write to you explaining how much of this term’s instalment is classed as “overpaid”. That’s the amount the SFE will want repaying asap. SFE are very reasonable in arranging an affordable repayment plan if you cannot afford to repay immediately - just talk to them when they write.

Universities on the other hand can vary from very reasonable to being incredibly cruel. It’s important to read the fee policy and ask for advice to be sure.

It’s often a good idea to struggle through to complete the year from a financial point of view.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending