The Student Room Group

How racist was the UK towards Meghan Markle?

Scroll to see replies

The only person who ever discussed the colour of my niece was her black father who expressed his disappointment to my husband and myself that she was so white.
Original post by SHallowvale
It's appauling that a story like this makes front page news, but stories such as how the government blew £2.6 million renovating Downing Street gets only a side mention.

:frown: Yeah, and then they think giving the nurses a one percent rise is wonderful.
The hyprocrisy of it all. Never mind, everything for a good image. I am sure there were other decorating materials available in just as good a quality that need not need be procured from the most expensive outlets such as they did.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by DiddyDec
Apologies, I meant the source on the claim that they didn't want their children to receive royal titles.

It was a ‘sources’ comment but feels inline with their actions since

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/archie-prince-harry-oprah-meghan-markle-b1813751.html
Original post by Mess.
It was a ‘sources’ comment but feels inline with their actions since

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/archie-prince-harry-oprah-meghan-markle-b1813751.html

I'm not putting much trust in unnamed sources.
I'm interested in the part about the family talking about how the child would look.

Mainly because I've just had a mixed race baby, and we had this discussion with literally everyone. Will it be more of one race? or of the other? Which features will it have? What will its skin tone be like? Families discussing what a baby will look like is just a conversation you can't avoid when your having a baby, and if its mixed race, then discussing what it will look like, without mentioning anything racial is impossible.

I'm not going to watch the whole thing, so maybe someone can fill me in on a bit more context but, the quote I can see its "Megan said that there were also conversations within the familoy "about how dark his skin might be when he was born".

I mean, that could be taken in a very racist direction, but having conversations about the skin tone of a baby isn't inherently racist. and I can't see any more detail where they have outlined anything explicitly racist aorund this that happened. It seems to me at the moment that they want to throw in the suggestion of racism, without anything to implicating as to cause too much trouble. Enough to make them a victim, but not enough to have people really attack the royals etc.
Do you think that the ordinary people of the UK, and separately the royal family were racist towards Meghan when she was in the UK before and after the wedding? Or is it more that she claimed racism to get pity?

This is ignoring anything else she may or may not have done, the same with the press, just her treatment based on her skin colour alone.

I’m not black so I was curious as to what other people think.

No rudeness or racism to anybody is allowed on this thread. This is for discussion only. Thanks.
Of course you are allowed an opinion on it lmao
Original post by harper_
Of course you are allowed an opinion on it lmao

Are you sure. It seems like whenever I say anything I get told I can’t have an opinion as I’m white. I don’t want people to hate me on here.
Original post by Anonymous
Are you sure. It seems like whenever I say anything I get told I can’t have an opinion as I’m white. I don’t want people to hate me on here.

As a black person, if it’s any relevance, you can have an opinion on it. Anyone can. We’re humans. It’s just how you use your opinion that causes issue.
If your opinion is uninformed or generally ignorant of reality then people will tend to take issue.

No one has the authority to exclude you from having an opinion, though they have a right to disagree with it as much as to agree.
I’m not black so I know that I’m not allowed an opinion on this so I was curious as to what other people think.

You absolutely can have an opinion! I'd argue that as long as it's informed & respectful and you're not invalidating other people's experiences, then it's well within your right. :yep:

In terms of the question, I need to read more about it really and inform myself further.

I really have little interest in the royal family apart from the queen (only because she's the figurehead, brings in tourism etc). I think they all get away with things out of royal prerogative and they all hide things, which I dislike very much. I reckon the Meghan Markle battle was probably two sided - the media didn't help at all and they definitely demonized her, but I don't think she was exactly an angel within Buckingham Palace.

I'd prefer to have a two-sided, informed interview instead of one with only their pov & using an American interviewer. :redface:
(edited 3 years ago)
Meghan is so talented, pretty and smart. The UK loves her 🧡 💛 💙 💜 💚 💝 💔 ♥️ 💗 💓 💕 💖😍
Thank you. I appreciate all of your comments, too many to tag on my phone but this is addressed to all comments above this one.
Original post by bye bxtch
Meghan is so talented, pretty and smart. The UK loves her 🧡 💛 💙 💜 💚 💝 💔 ♥️ 💗 💓 💕 💖😍

Okay. I see you like her. However this doesn’t relate to the post.

You do have an opinion on it. Everyone has an opinion on pretty much anything. What you’re asking is whether or not you are allowed to share it. What would TSR be if no one shared their opinions on things? Go ahead
She's American and not a royal so that's a bad start. She's mixed so that's another bad mark and she's seen as a gold digger.
Is anyone really surprised the royal family hates outsiders? We literally nearly had a Nazi King back in the 30s....
Original post by bye bxtch
the UK loves her ️too 🧡 💛 💙 💜 💚 💝 💔 ♥️ 💗 💓 💕 💖 She is a great princess

She must be sweet and amazing since Prince Harry chose her

okay so I assume you then think that the uk people weren’t racist to her. If you like her surely you believe her and she said that the uk is a racist place especially towards her. What opinion do you take, that the UK loves her or that we are racist towards her?

Of course you can have an opinion, we only have a problem with it if you insist that the things that we literally live through every day aren't happening. But you aren't doing that then it's all good.

As for the main topic, yes, she received a bunch of abuse for doing the exact same things as Kate and there's no difference between them besides skin color. They're both older than their husbands, not of aristocratic birth, don't dress like stuffy old women, held their baby bumps, but it was only a problem for the (barely) darker one.

I had no idea who she was before they got married and don't care much for either of them or any other royals but it's hilariously/depressingly obvious that there is a double standard in how she's treated/perceived vs how Kate has been
okay so I assume you then think that the uk people weren’t racist to her. If you like her surely you believe her and she said that the uk is a racist place especially towards her. What opinion do you take, that the UK loves her or that we are racist towards her?

I don't know. I hope she and all of the royal family are all happy.

What is your opinion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending