How racist was the UK towards Meghan Markle?

Watch
bye bxtch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
okay so I assume you then think that the uk people weren’t racist to her. If you like her surely you believe her and she said that the uk is a racist place especially towards her. What opinion do you take, that the UK loves her or that we are racist towards her?
I don't know. I hope she and all of the royal family are all happy.

What is your opinion?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alexschmalex)
Of course you can have an opinion, we only have a problem with it if you insist that the things that we literally live through every day aren't happening. But you aren't doing that then it's all good.

As for the main topic, yes, she received a bunch of abuse for doing the exact same things as Kate and there's no difference between them besides skin color. They're both older than their husbands, not of aristocratic birth, don't dress like stuffy old women, held their baby bumps, but it was only a problem for the (barely) darker one.

I had no idea who she was before they got married and don't care much for either of them or any other royals but it's hilariously/depressingly obvious that there is a double standard in how she's treated/perceived vs how Kate has been
Could this be perceived as just not being liked, not not being liked because she’s mixed race? I believe Kate also received a lot of hate from the media, especially at first.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bye bxtch)
I don't know. I hope she and all of the royal family are all happy.

What is your opinion?
Honestly I’m not sure. No one ever gives any examples of clearly racist articles when they accuse the UK people of racism. But I’m not sure. A few article headlines I’ve seen were definitely wrong, like saying her mother is from a real life gangster place. Like I guess if there is a lot of gang crime there then it is true, but if they are saying it to call her a gangster then it is definitely wrong.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Do you think that the ordinary people of the UK, and separately the royal family were racist towards Meghan when she was in the UK before and after the wedding? Or is it more that she claimed racism to get pity?

This is ignoring anything else she may or may not have done, the same with the press, just her treatment based on her skin colour alone.

I’m not black so I know that I’m not allowed an opinion on this so I was curious as to what other people think.

No rudeness or racism to anybody is allowed on this thread. This is for discussion only. Thanks.
This is a really silly thread to start.

The UK was not racist to Meghan Markle but she is accusing some members of the Royal Family and the Press. The Royal Family and the Press ARE NOT the UK. Most British people have been indifferent about the Royal drama.

You need to stop generalising because this is what causes many people generally indifferent to take sides and have animus towards others.

Jeremy Corbyn had a well-known bigotry towards Jewish people like me. I have never created a thread to ask how “antisemitic was the UK towards Jews under Corbyn” since millions voted him Leader of the Labour Party.

Please stop this nonsense.
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
The Royal Family and the Press ARE NOT the UK. Most British people have been indifferent about the Royal drama.
This is a fair point.

I suppose it depends on how internalised these stories are in people's minds, though.
ohdearstudying
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a really silly thread to start.

The UK was not racist to Meghan Markle but she is accusing some members of the Royal Family and the Press. The Royal Family and the Press ARE NOT the UK. Most British people have been indifferent about the Royal drama.

You need to stop generalising because this is what causes many people generally indifferent to take sides and have animus towards others.

Jeremy Corbyn had a well-known bigotry towards Jewish people like me. I have never created a thread to ask how “antisemitic was the UK towards Jews under Corbyn” since millions voted him Leader of the Labour Party.

Please stop this nonsense.
But you cannot deny that the press launched a brigade against her and ridiculed and scrutinised things that Kate Middleton did (the exact same things) and the only difference was her race, or that is at least how it presented. I disagree entirely, most British people if not all have heard something about the Royal drama and, at one point or another, have made a statement about it.

Not sure what Jeremy Corbyn has to do with anything it is a completely different scenario, I say that as someone who despises him.
Euapp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I really liked Meghan before, but sorry I have nothing positive to say about her today. The only one who seems to know the rules of the game in her family is her mother. So I'm definitely not racist. Did Harry really think he'd be able to integrate a family who run to the press every time they get a chance?
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by parmezanne)
This is a fair point.

I suppose it depends on how internalised these stories are in people's minds, though.
Yes, it does. I think the Press have been clever to pull the millions of people into their battles with Meghan Markle.

This morning, some of the headlines read from “Meghan accused UK of racism” to “Meghan attacks the Queen”. They are highly charged and would pull people into defending or attacking issues that have nothing to do with them.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
But you cannot deny that the press launched a brigade against her and ridiculed and scrutinised things that Kate Middleton did (the exact same things) and the only difference was her race, or that is at least how it presented. I disagree entirely, most British people if not all have heard something about the Royal drama and, at one point or another, have made a statement about it.

Not sure what Jeremy Corbyn has to do with anything it is a completely different scenario, I say that as someone who despises him.
I agree that the press has attacked Meghan Markle and have read many of the articles and the reactions. My point was that the drama is a three-way problem between Meghan Markle, her in-laws and the Press. It has nothing to do with Joe Bloggs on furlough but the Press is trying to position it as that to force alliance with the public.

Yes, many British people have commented on it. However, I think they have done so as indifferent commentators but the hysteria that has been whipped up is, in my view, trying to force people into camps.

This thread and many of the discussions, as I earlier stated, have generalised the issue and made it look like the UK. For example, Meghan Markle (and Prince Harry) have apparently accused some members of his family for racism and also some parts the Press for the racist undertones. However, the response is “Meghan accuses the UK of being racist”. What? She did not accuse you or me of being racist.

The Jeremy Corbyn point was an extension on the approach of reporting. A group of people have done something, so it means that the whole country is responsible.
LoveAmore
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, it does. I think the Press have been clever to pull the millions of people into their battles with Meghan Markle.

This morning, some of the headlines read from “Meghan accused UK of racism” to “Meghan attacks the Queen”. They are highly charged and would pull people into defending or attacking issues that have nothing to do with them.
exactly.
parmezanne
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Euapp)
The only one who seems to know the rules of the game in her family is her mother.
the rules of what game? In what capacity?
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Euapp)
I really liked Meghan before, but sorry I have nothing positive to say about her today. The only one who seems to know the rules of the game in her family is her mother. So I'm definitely not racist. Did Harry really think he'd be able to integrate a family who run to the press every time they get a chance?
I dont think she called you racist.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Meghan is claiming it is racism that is stopping Archie having the title of Prince, when it's actually because a Royal protocol that dates back over a century, and Harry would know that.

If they are prepared to lie about this, how do we believe anything else that they are saying?
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Meghan is claiming it is racism that is stopping Archie having the title of Prince, when it's actually because a Royal protocol that dates back over a century, and Harry would know that.

If they are prepared to lie about this, how do we believe anything else that they are saying?
There were different accusations of racism that she alleged.

The issue about title based on the discussion on the BBC was not about racism but about safety. She had apparently asked whether a title or other forms of protection can be provided to Archie since without it, there wouldn't be royal protection.

Her claim about racism was about one accusation where someone in the Family had apparently asked Prince Harry what skin colour would his son be which was apparently uncalled for.

Her wider claim was that the Royal Family apparently did not do enough to protect her from public attacks via the Press and she was apparently rebuffed when she reached out for “protection”.

I think people are conflating many issues but they have not spent any time doing some proper research.
Last edited by Wired_1800; 1 month ago
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Mainly because I've just had a mixed race baby, and we had this discussion with literally everyone.
Congratulations!
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think maybe the establishment and some elements of the media hated her? To be honest I don’t recall many average people giving a **** about her one way or another.

The stories about Trump, Brexit, the UK general election and then Covid were what everyone was discussing in work, in the pubs and on Twitter. If some people were actively racist against her it wasn’t a big enough story to bury the lead in the way BLM briefly did during the Covid.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There were different accusations of racism that she alleged.

The issue about title based on the discussion on the BBC was not about racism but about safety. She had apparently asked whether a title or other forms of protection can be provided to Archie since without it, there wouldn't be royal protection.

Her claim about racism was about one accusation where someone in the Family had apparently asked Prince Harry what skin colour would his son be which was apparently uncalled for.

Her wider claim was that the Royal Family apparently did not do enough to protect her from public attacks via the Press and she was apparently rebuffed when she reached out for “protection”.

I think people are conflating many issues but they have not spent any time doing some proper research.
I did my research before posting!
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did my research before posting!
Oh, no worries then. :yy:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BiggestLoser21)
Is anyone really surprised the royal family hates outsiders? We literally nearly had a Nazi King back in the 30s....
Britain did have a Nazi King - Edward VIII was a keen supporter of Hitler. He and Wallace amused themselves with the young nieces (Elizabeth and Margaret) by teaching them the Nazi salute in the Windsor Castle grounds. All very cosy. Hitler hoped to make Edward King again once he succeeded in conquering Britain.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

There does seem to be some carefully calculated spin in the Oprah interview aimed at a US audience who won't know all the facts. I wonder to what extent Harry and Meghan's PR people have driven the content. Accusations of racism directed against the British establishment - check. Emotionally dysfunctional stiff upper lip courtiers - check. They did it to Diana, now they're doing it to me - check. Feels like a bid for a TV series or something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.86%
Uncertainty around my education (440)
14.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (335)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (417)
13.97%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.03%
Loneliness (256)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (162)
5.43%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (263)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (282)
9.45%

Watched Threads