How racist was the UK towards Meghan Markle?

Watch
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mess.)
Is anybody going to be watching this tonight?

I kind of want to but I can see me just getting wound up with the inevitable hypocrisy, which will be a long two hours.

I can’t believe ITV actually paid £1m for this considering it was on last night and the press will have already reported every minute detail of it all day.

I can’t believe they only paid £1m?! That’s cheap as chips for 2 hours of first run prime time programming that will draw a huge rating in the 18-49 demo and win the night. 😂

All the media hype and arguing about it all day will actually inflate viewership rather than taking away from it because people want to see for themselves and make their own minds up.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Prince Harold should of married a nice English girl. He had the pick of them.
username4524630
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Britain did have a Nazi King - Edward VIII was a keen supporter of Hitler. He and Wallace amused themselves with the young nieces (Elizabeth and Margaret) by teaching them the Nazi salute in the Windsor Castle grounds. All very cosy. Hitler hoped to make Edward King again once he succeeded in conquering Britain.
That's who i was talking about. Thank the lord, he abdicated when he did and Hitler lost WW2, the prospect of a Britain ruled by him is terrifying.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Harry's comments about the royal family being in fear and trapped fits into the narrative that the Queen herself espoused when she spoke of dark forces at work and what happened after Diana started having a relationship with Dodi Fayed.
MatureStudent37
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NJA)
Harry's comments about the royal family being in fear and trapped fits into the narrative that the Queen herself espoused when she spoke of dark forces at work and what happened after Diana started having a relationship with Dodi Fayed.
We all know what happened there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=05oZVBOH_1Q
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There does seem to be some carefully calculated spin in the Oprah interview aimed at a US audience who won't know all the facts. I wonder to what extent Harry and Meghan's PR people have driven the content. Accusations of racism directed against the British establishment - check. Emotionally dysfunctional stiff upper lip courtiers - check. They did it to Diana, now they're doing it to me - check. Feels like a bid for a TV series or something.
Are you possibly insinuating that Meghan is a lying attention seeking narcissist?
kwame88
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes,
https://www.boredpanda.com/uk-media-...mpaign=organic
MatureStudent37
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There does seem to be some carefully calculated spin in the Oprah interview aimed at a US audience who won't know all the facts. I wonder to what extent Harry and Meghan's PR people have driven the content. Accusations of racism directed against the British establishment - check. Emotionally dysfunctional stiff upper lip courtiers - check. They did it to Diana, now they're doing it to me - check. Feels like a bid for a TV series or something.
I’m actually sunrises we’re in agreement on this.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Daily Mail ≠ the whole UK
LoveAmore
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MatureStudent37)
Me thinks Meghan didn’t do her research.

Didn’t google Harry? Me thinks excrement.
If she did, there would be an uproar about how she stalked him and the widespread rumour that she carefully and methodically planned their whole relationship would have been perpetuated even further than it already was. Either way, she couldn’t have won
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Funny how this interview is working people are hearing what they want to hear confirmation bias I've already heard a couple of people

1A radio host who is anti-monarchist he only says this proves that the monarchy is rotten so he's ignored what Harry had to say about how tabloids are ruling them by fear,

2) dyed-in-the-wool pro monarchists are saying it was iust a way of them earning big money
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I love that she thought moving to the us would be ‘less racist’🤣
Then again, the interview she gave comes across as the epitome of an entitled brat, complaining that the tax payer wouldn’t fund her security and pay them to play celebrity in another country. Never mind the scurrilous accusations that her having a brown baby somehow had something to do with him not being titled. Thoroughly unpleasant woman, a bully no less, who just wants to bask in the warmer media light of the states whilst whinging about the big bad “racist” media over here. Hypocrisy and entitlement of biblical proportions.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NJA)
Funny how this interview is working people are hearing what they want to hear confirmation bias I've already heard a couple of people

1A radio host who is anti-monarchist he only says this proves that the monarchy is rotten so he's ignored what Harry had to say about how tabloids are ruling them by fear,

2) dyed-in-the-wool pro monarchists are saying it was iust a way of them earning big money
Many people are getting sucked into a drama that genuinely has nothing to do with them.

Random people who are struggling to make ends meet during the pandemic are “pro-Meghan” or “anti-Meghan” in a battle between millionaires and the media.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Many people are getting sucked into a drama that genuinely has nothing to do with them.

Random people who are struggling to make ends meet during the pandemic are “pro-Meghan” or “anti-Meghan” in a battle between millionaires and the media.
I'm struggling to feel sorry for H & M, they are so absurdly rolling in wealth and a fair bit of what's happened is clearly their decision, regardless of other issues. I feel for them as people who both had hard things in their childhoods, which I think they are rather dramatising now and seeking attention for.

One thing amongst several that I found implausible in their interview was Meghan trying to get mental health help from the Firm. Surely with their resources and friend network in the field, they could have easily obtained trustworthy help privately. I didn't believe them about this, I think they added it for effect. It was one of several statements they made that sounded dubious.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm struggling to feel sorry for H & M, they are so absurdly rolling in wealth and a fair bit of what's happened is clearly their decision, regardless of other issues. I feel for them as people who both had hard things in their childhoods, which I think they are rather dramatising now and seeking attention for.

One thing amongst several that I found implausible in their interview was Meghan trying to get mental health help from the Firm. Surely with their resources and friend network in the field, they could have easily obtained trustworthy help privately. I didn't believe them about this, I think they added it for effect. It was one of several statements they made that sounded dubious.
I think all parties (Royal Family, Harry and the Press) are responsible for the mess. From what was mentioned yesterday, it would have been really unfortunate for the press stories to be different to the real stories. For example, Meghan making Kate cry or the Family refusing to allow both to step back. I think there must have been a narrative set and some members of the Family allowed the Press to run with it.

There is so much hypocrisy that many observers have allowed themselves to be used as useful idiots. We have current senior members of the family with serious questions to answer but they have never been isolated or had their security removed. Even Prince Andrew had to step back as a working royal but still enjoys his privileges. After his disastrous interview, the Family closed ranks and protected him with forceful rebuttals.

Yes it did to me too, but it may surprise you how difficult reaching out might be for people like them who would be terrified of the stories. I think many people have tried to overlay their own normal lives on the Royal Family. Whose normal family has a HR department? Or have to book an appointment to see their grandmother?

I think all parties did not do themselves any favour with this one. If it is indeed true that Prince Harry and Meghan wanted to take on a role with the Commonwealth then the Institution made a massive own goal that they will regret.

I don't fully believe any party. I think they have some blame. My outsider view is that some members are jealous of others and they feel this should be a zero sum game. As the Duchess of York said in her own bombshell interview years ago, the Family comprises of smaller semi-independent Households who are battling for recognition.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think the UK have generally been quite supportive of Meghan (not the press, the people) and didn't have much to say that was negative about her. Until now.

Now she is coming across as an attention seeking narcissist who loves the spotlight so much she is prepared to cause a permanent rift with her husband's family just to get "her truth" out there. In the UK at least, we are already bored by the story, or taking it with a large dose of salt.

She is acting like she is the first wife ever to find her husband's family a cold, strange bunch and assuming that this must be down to racism. Conveniently forgetting the experiences of Diana, despite them being so well documented.
Euapp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did Harry not explain anything to her beforehand? His own mother had gone into enough detail with the press, explaining the difficulties of living as a member of the Royal Family. Or did Meghan just conveniently forget when it suited her, or worse still, was this always part of her career plan?
Euapp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Rich or poor life can be hard for everyone at times, but the timing of this outburst is indecent given what is going on in the world at the moment.They have the luxury of choice, stay or go. Kate and William don't!
Last edited by Euapp; 1 month ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"There must be a great temptation, as two of the most talked-about people in the world, to be the ones doing the talking for once. But if they’re not royals, what are they? Last night’s interview made clear that Meghan has an entirely different kind of appeal from the fusty British in-laws she has left behind. No Windsor has ever looked as healthy as she did, with her teeth and hair radiant in the pure California sunlight. The awkward side effect is to make Harry—from whom her mega-celebrity springs—look like a tagalong, Judd Apatow’s ill-advised attempt at writing an English protagonist into a film where the dweeb dates the prom queen. Harry barely featured in the first half of the two-hour show. In one early sequence, he bock-bock-bock-ed mournfully at the couple’s pet chickens while the two women talked about wedding vows. His skill set (flying helicopters, shaking hands with mayors) seems oddly redundant in their new life of podcasts and Netflix deals."
https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...lenced/618227/

:teehee:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Euapp)
Rich or poor life can be hard for everyone at times, but the timing of this outburst is indecent given what is going on in the world at the moment.They have the luxury of choice, stay or go. Kate and William don't!
It does appear ridiculously self-indulgent of them to blather on for hours, centimillionaires-to-billionaire, about how tragic it all is for them. I think they are wildly overdoing it in a bid for what exactly? A new version of the Kardashians? The real problem for Harry is that he thought he could have his cake and eat it - no royal responsibilities but still lots of cash and, when it suited him, on his terms - plenty of public exposure. He has now realised I think that life as a no longer officially royal couple in the US can only proceed as an acclaimed lifestyle choice by turning him and her into a sort of pastiche of what Americans think modern young royals should be complaining about. The British Establishment is a comforting target to run on US TV as loathing the Brits often plays well in America and at the same time they know they won't sue. Oprah was lapping it up, this has been great for her figures.

In an odd way, this also serves as a useful distraction for a particular slice of the US media-industrial complex that has been anxious about the BLM movement, has to cover it but wishes it didn't have to, especially if it means close examination of itself - what better then than to run a major story about British establishment racism and imperialism. It's not as if the US upper classes have ever practised organised racism, at home or abroad!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.86%
Uncertainty around my education (440)
14.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (335)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (417)
13.97%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.03%
Loneliness (256)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (162)
5.43%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (263)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (282)
9.45%

Watched Threads