Danyal124
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Help!!!!! Could someone explain the question in green I can’t see how it’s a two step proceeds to dissociate a lattice means to break it but I don’t understand the steps below
Attached files
studyAngelx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Danyal124)
Help!!!!! Could someone explain the question in green I can’t see how it’s a two step proceeds to dissociate a lattice means to break it but I don’t understand the steps below
Basically The enthalpy change of solution is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of an ionic substance dissolves in water to give a solution

the enthalpy of hydration is the enthalpy when one mole of gaseous ions are converted to one mole of aqueous ions.

In order to produce the enthalpy of solution, the ionic lattice is broken to gaseous ions, then the ions are surrounded by water molecules to form aqueous ions (hydration).

First, the lattice dissociation enthalpy has to be put in to break the lattice and form the gaseous ions, (one Ca2+ and two Cl-),

then the enthalpy of hydration is put in for each ion, which is to have water molecules completely surround each ion to form aqueous ions.

This combination of the lattice enthalpy of dissociation and hydration forms the enthalpy of solution.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads