When will under 30s be vaccinated?

Watch
Poll: When will under 30s be vaccinated?
Autumn 2021 (8)
40%
July 2021 (11)
55%
Christmas 2021 (0)
0%
Early 2022 (1)
5%
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When will people in their 20s be vaccinated now the vaccination rate is slowing down and many vaccination centres may close after the priority groups have been completed.

The target was to have all adults vaccinated by late July but can’t see that happening

Looking at the graph the vax rate is declining: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

and there doesn’t seem to be any plan for under 50s let alone those in their 20s it ends with the 50-54 group then what?

I’m estimating autumn for a person in their 20s to get their first dose.
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 1 month ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They've said that after they've done the 51-55 they will move down by age, with 46-50 next.
Cyberfan123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Recently the government have started allowing people with hidden disabilities to be vaccinated, as the government were accused of discrimination as someone with additional needs required extra care and therefore it was easier to give to all.
MatureStudent37
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The U.K. currently has capacity to vaccinate everybody in the U.K. with AstraZeneca by the end of the year from the existing manufacturing facilities.

Novovax starts production now in Teeside making another 60 million vaccines with approval expected in March/April. (So they’ll have nice stockpile to work with.

Valneva vaccine is in production already in livingstone. They expect approval in the summer.

There’s a 100 million vaccines a month production facility coming on line in Braintree at the end of Q4.

We still have Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson vaccines in order.

For a population of 65 million, we have in excess of 367 vaccines in the pipeline. That’s enough to vaccinate the U.K. 6 times over.

I show the we haven’t even seen mass vaccination started yet due to supply issues.

Remember we’ve done 30% of the population in 3 months.
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cyberfan123)
Recently the government have started allowing people with hidden disabilities to be vaccinated, as the government were accused of discrimination as someone with additional needs required extra care and therefore it was easier to give to all.
And so they should. My wife is several years younger than me. She’s already had her vaccine. Mainly because she’s classed as an unpaid carer for our son.
PilgrimOfTruth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would under 30s need to worry about being vaccinated unless they have underlying health issues and/or are in the "at risk" categories?

Their chances of getting serious Covid illness let alone dying are incredibly remote.
Cyberfan123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
Why would under 30s need to worry about being vaccinated unless they have underlying health issues and/or are in the "at risk" categories?

Their chances of getting serious Covid illness let alone dying are incredibly remote.
Have you heard of silent hypoxia? This is the reason why some young patients with no underlying health conditions have suddenly died from COVID.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/06/h...ess/index.html
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
When will people in their 20s be vaccinated now the vaccination rate is slowing down and many vaccination centres may close after the priority groups have been completed.

The target was to have all adults vaccinated by late July but can’t see that happening

Looking at the graph the vax rate is declining: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

and there doesn’t seem to be any plan for under 50s let alone those in their 20s it ends with the 50-54 group then what?

I’m estimating autumn for a person in their 20s to get their first dose.
I've voted for July 21st for the first dose, though it will be Autumn before they get both doses.

The 55s and over can already book their own vaccinations via the NHS website, then it will be the 50-54 year olds by Easter. After Easter we will be moving onto the 40-50s and so on.
PilgrimOfTruth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cyberfan123)
Have you heard of silent hypoxia? This is the reason why some young patients with no underlying health conditions have suddenly died from COVID.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/06/h...ess/index.html

How many is "some" Cyberfan?

Have you heard of lightning too? It's pretty bad stuff. Get struck by it and you'll be doing the Highland Jiggle. Better not go outside imo.

Your article is nothing more than a typical "Project Fear" piece which fails miserably as it doesn't have the decency to state the facts of how few cases silent hypoxia there have been. Death is surely worse than silent hypoxia and the number of deaths specifically caused by Covid-19 is very low in comparison to the size of the population. The vast majority of those deaths occur in very old people with multiple underlying health conditions.

So my question remains

MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How many is "some" Cyberfan?

Have you heard of lightning too? It's pretty bad stuff. Get struck by it and you'll be doing the Highland Jiggle. Better not go outside imo.

Your article is nothing more than a typical "Project Fear" piece which fails miserably as it doesn't have the decency to state the facts of how few cases silent hypoxia there have been. Death is surely worse than silent hypoxia and the number of deaths specifically caused by Covid-19 is very low in comparison to the size of the population. The vast majority of those deaths occur in very old people with multiple underlying health conditions.

So my question remains

Statistically young people are less likely to die from Covid, but if not vaccinated from it they can carry on spreading it. If they carry on spreading it, it then can mutate.

A Doctor friend of mine was telling me she’s seeing an increase in younger adults coming in requiring medical help. The mortality rates may not be as high as the elderly and vulnerable but they’re still clogging up the hospitals and if left untreated are more likely to result in an avoidable death.

So, the reason why under 30s need to be worried about being vaccinated is if they don’t, then we don’t hit the 70/80% vaccination rates we need to hit herd immunity and Covid goes away.

It’s one of the resins why Tuberculosis has come back in the U.K. There’s been a reluctance to get vaccinated with it, herd immunity drops and TB takes hold again.

If you’re scared of needles. Say you’re scared of needles. Please don’t try to justify your fear with pseudoscience that is dangerous to society.
Megacent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MatureStudent37)
Statistically young people are less likely to die from Covid, but if not vaccinated from it they can carry on spreading it. If they carry on spreading it, it then can mutate.
Viruses always mutate. To prevent that, nothing short of complete eradication would work, and I simply don't think we'd ever manage that.
Cyberfan123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

A Doctor friend of mine was telling me she’s seeing an increase in younger adults coming in requiring medical help. The mortality rates may not be as high as the elderly and vulnerable but they’re still clogging up the hospitals and if left untreated are more likely to result in an avoidable death.

So, the reason why under 30s need to be worried about being vaccinated is if they don’t, then we don’t hit the 70/80% vaccination rates we need to hit herd immunity and Covid goes away.

It’s one of the resins why Tuberculosis has come back in the U.K. There’s been a reluctance to get vaccinated with it, herd immunity drops and TB takes hold again.

If you’re scared of needles. Say you’re scared of needles. Please don’t try to justify your fear with pseudoscience that is dangerous to society.
It's because of the mutations that younger people are being more affected now although there were few cases before the mutations came into play.
I have Trypanophobia.
PilgrimOfTruth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

There's no peer-reviewed studies as yet that show that vaccination prevents people continuing to spread the virus. So your point is moot. There is a study in pre-print specifically relating to the Astrazeneca vaccine that suggests their vaccine helps reduce spread but it is inconclusive and scientists say we should exercise caution, saying that more data is needed before this reduction in transmission is confirmed

And that study, which is solely relating to the Astrazeneca vaccine whose PR has been trashed by the EU and whose share price has taken a big drop . . . is funded by . . . . . errrrr . . . . . Astrazeneca themselves and other bodies with affiliation.

Your "Project Fear" assertions of mutations applies to every single virus that is out there in the world. Influenza has over 200 strains and over 100 of them are problematic for humans. Yet many millions of people (quite rightly imho) refuse to take Flu vaccines. Mutations are a risk we have lived with for the past 100 years.

If you are personally concerned that you might get the SARS-COV-2 virus and that you might be one of the extremely small minority that develops serious Covid illness or one of the even tinier minority that dies from it, then go ahead and get vaccinated. Leave otehrs to make their own personal decisions in their personal circumstances.

Needles has nothing to do with the decision. It has to do with Pharma's past track record, their willingness to falsify data and act fraudulently, the small risk that Covid presents to me personally, my approach to health and a healthy lifestyle, the things I eat and the things I avoid eating, the possible serious adverse reactions and harms that vaccine can result in, the ingredients in some vaccines, the lack of any data pertaining to long term safety and much much more.

Regarding Tuberculosis, the world has also seen outbreaks of Measles, of Mumps and of Rotavirus sparked off by fully vaccinated individuals.

A study has also shown that people who are vaccinated for Flu, shed and spread Flu virus up to 6 times more than unvaccinated people.

I will make my choice as you will make your own. We should not be seeking to demonise or discriminate those who exercise their right to refuse vaccination.
Last edited by PilgrimOfTruth; 1 month ago
Cyberfan123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

A study has also shown that people who are vaccinated for Flu, shed and spread Flu virus up to 6 times more than unvaccinated people.
People generally only take the flu jab if they're at risk, but most people don't, considering the vaccine's side effects is to give flu-like symptoms, but not the actual flu. Considering the people who take the jab, they have a lesser immune system anyhow, which explains why it's spread faster.
Cyberfan123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's no peer-reviewed studies as yet that show that vaccination prevents people continuing to spread the virus. So your point is moot. There is a study in pre-print specifically relating to the Astrazeneca vaccine that suggests their vaccine helps reduce spread but it is inconclusive and scientists say we should exercise caution, saying that more data is needed before this reduction in transmission is confirmed
Yeah, we don't know for sure whether it's due to lockdown regulations being taken more seriously or vaccination effectiveness. We shall find out in the upcoming weeks as lockdown measures are gradually lifted :cool:
PilgrimOfTruth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Megacent)
Viruses always mutate. To prevent that, nothing short of complete eradication would work, and I simply don't think we'd ever manage that.
I agree. Covid will not be eradicated. There is just too much money wrapped up in it. The on-going vaccination market for Covid shots is going to be enormously lucrative, probably worth $trillions of dollars. There is just no way that Covid is going to disappear when they can flog us vaccines perpetually.

The NHS is already planning yearly Covid shots and will be offering booster shots as early as this autumn..

https://www.ft.com/content/26b256d0-...d-e3ea823c033d

This kind of perpetual vaccination pathway is definitely not something I would ever want to be a part of any more than I would want to end up on NHS treatment pathways that see people popping 50 pills a day. I don't consider it conducive to good health. Up until recently, and after the public found out about it, vaccine manufacturers were putting toxic Thimerosal in vaccines which is 50% Mercury. Only very small amounts of course but there nonetheless. There are other concerning ingredients in some vaccines. This is not what I personally want for my body. I prefer to build and maintain a strong immune system and tackle these things naturally and thereby gain good strong lasting natural immunity.

But each to their own. It must always be personal choice.
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

And that study, which is solely relating to the Astrazeneca vaccine whose PR has been trashed by the EU and whose share price has taken a big drop . . . is funded by . . . . . errrrr . . . . . Astrazeneca themselves and other bodies with affiliation.

Your "Project Fear" assertions of mutations applies to every single virus that is out there in the world. Influenza has over 200 strains and over 100 of them are problematic for humans. Yet many millions of people (quite rightly imho) refuse to take Flu vaccines. Mutations are a risk we have lived with for the past 100 years.

If you are personally concerned that you might get the SARS-COV-2 virus and that you might be one of the extremely small minority that develops serious Covid illness or one of the even tinier minority that dies from it, then go ahead and get vaccinated. Leave otehrs to make their own personal decisions in their personal circumstances.

Needles has nothing to do with the decision. It has to do with Pharma's past track record, their willingness to falsify data and act fraudulently, the small risk that Covid presents to me personally, my approach to health and a healthy lifestyle, the things I eat and the things I avoid eating, the possible serious adverse reactions and harms that vaccine can result in, the ingredients in some vaccines, the lack of any data pertaining to long term safety and much much more.

Regarding Tuberculosis, the world has also seen outbreaks of Measles, of Mumps and of Rotavirus sparked off by fully vaccinated individuals.

I will my my choice as you will make your own. We should not be seeking to demonise or discriminate those who exercise their right to refuse vaccination.
Slight problem there co cheese. I never said vaccinating will stop the spread. Merely pointed out that not being vaccinated will allow it to spread more easily.

There are infact 200 different types of influenza strains out there. And at some Pont each and everyone of us has come into contact with them giving us all a degree of natural immunity.

the problem is, that when Covid broke out, there was only one strain of Covid, so nobody had been exposed to it as the fire nobody replay had a degree of natural immunity to it.

That’s the whole reason why scientist and government started sh***ing bricks was because it was the unknown.

I’m glad that you feel that Covid represents a small risk to yourself. I feel it’s a small risk to me as well.

being slightly selfish, it’s my Convern about spreading it to teaching staff at my kids school. I’m not wanting to take time off to field the kids.

there’s a bigger risk to my parents and my in laws. Is it being selfish not wanting them to die from it?

what about if I started thinking bigger picture. If it’s going to impact on my kids teachers, wouldn’t it impact on somebody else’s teachers? Some body else parents.

I unseats s the trolling mentality. I even forgive the selfish approach. It’s the online arrogance of somebody who’s still living at home I can’t get. You’re going to have trouble getting some fanny in later life.
Megacent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Call me selfish if you want but I'm sick of living like this and just want normality back. Lockdown might be easy for some, but for me it is an endless struggle of daily misery and torment. I'm financially secure and I have a good network of friends I can open up to, and it's still hell. So god knows how much worse it is for people without those things. And this is what the scientists don't seem to be realizing, they are so blinkered and obsessed they don't realize there is more to life than covid. We should take the virus seriously of course, but we shouldn't just focus on it while ignoring other factors. Lockdown is extremely damaging to peoples mental health, as well as the economy. I personally think that at this point, lockdown is more damaging to the country than if we just opened up. It feels so cruel expecting us to live like this indefinitely
Last edited by Megacent; 1 month ago
PilgrimOfTruth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Slight problem there co cheese. I never said vaccinating will stop the spread. Merely pointed out that not being vaccinated will allow it to spread more easily.

Your assertion that not being vaccinated will allow it to spread more easily is not based in fact which is the point being made. Your statement is effectively a statement that vaccination prevents spread. That has not been proven to be the case. Until it is, we must assume that vaccinated people will still spread the virus.

There are infact 200 different types of influenza strains out there. And at some Pont each and everyone of us has come into contact with them giving us all a degree of natural immunity.

the problem is, that when Covid broke out, there was only one strain of Covid, so nobody had been exposed to it as the fire nobody replay had a degree of natural immunity to it.

That’s the whole reason why scientist and government started sh***ing bricks was because it was the unknown.

Whilst no-one had been exposed to Covid that in no way meant that people did not have levels of immunity to it. In fact numerous studies found that some 20%-50% of the population had pre-existing levels of immunity to Covid gained from past bouts of colds,Flu and ILIs and the like. Who knew?!
Such is the potency and strength of natural immunity. See here:

Covid-19: Do many people have pre-existing immunity?
https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563

Targets of T Cell Responses to SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus in Humans with COVID-19 Disease and Unexposed Individuals
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32473127/

Pre-existing and de novo humoral immunity to SARS-CoV-2 in humans
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.14.095414v2?ijkey=8fbd1e 241022a88f953235bd5f1dd7b7afb5fb d4&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Phenotype of SARS-CoV-2-specific T-cells in COVID-19 patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.11.20062349v2?ijkey=72f9 dee829f26db0e9d1f25b2a7c7f4b61eb 4827&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

SARS-CoV-2-specific T cell immunity in cases of COVID-19 and SARS, and uninfected controls
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32668444/

Pre-existing immunity to SARS-CoV-2: the knowns and unknowns
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32636479/

there’s a bigger risk to my parents and my in laws. Is it being selfish not wanting them to die from it?

what about if I started thinking bigger picture. If it’s going to impact on my kids teachers, wouldn’t it impact on somebody else’s teachers? Some body else parents.

Again you are repeating here the unproven narrative that getting vaccinated prevents you from spreading the virus to others. You should stop doing that imho. Until proven otherwise your vaccination status has no bearing on your risk to your parents or in-laws.

And let's nip this entire concept quickly in the bud with the killer blow that destroys all the "get 'em vaxxed" brigade nonsense. Your parents, your in-laws and everyone else has the free right and choice to get vaccinated in which case it doesn't matter one jot whether you have been vaccinated or not as surely they will be protected. The only exceptions are a tiny minority of people who due to having compromised immune systems can not have the vaccines or in the case of Covid vaccines will have very limited immune response. I sympathise with those people, but recognise that they are a tiny minority and it's simply not morally justifiable to go vaccinating the entire world's population just to protect that tiny minority because in doing so the vaccines will see more people harmed through serious adverse reactions than they would protect in that minority demographic.

So once again we come down to the same conclusions. If you personally feel you are at risk, then go get vaccinated, if not then perfectly ok to not get vaccinated. Either way the unvaccinated can not put others at risk because they all have the choice to get vaccinated.
Last edited by PilgrimOfTruth; 1 month ago
MatureStudent37
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Megacent)
Call me selfish if you want but I'm sick of living like this and just want normality back. Lockdown might be easy for some, but for me it is an endless struggle of daily misery and torment. I'm financially secure and I have a good network of friends I can open up to, and it's still hell. So god knows how much worse it is for people without those things. And this is what the scientists don't seem to be realizing, they are so blinkered and obsessed they don't realize there is more to life than covid. We should take the virus seriously of course, but we shouldn't just focus on it while ignoring other factors. Lockdown is extremely damaging to peoples mental health, as well as the economy. I personally think that at this point, lockdown is more damaging to the country than if we just opened up. It feels so cruel expecting us to live like this indefinitely
I’m not calling you selfish.

I’d call you a few other things .

people rarely die of mental health issues. They do die from highly contagious viruses that attack the respiratory system.

I’ve heard a lot about mental health issues during this. I even met somebody who wouldn’t wear a mask because of anxiety.

as somebody who carries severe anxiety and depression around with me most of the time due to PTSD, I call BS on this mental health problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (163)
41.48%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (57)
14.5%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (165)
41.98%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.04%

Watched Threads