The Student Room Group

Dropping an A level

I'm in year 12 and doing Spanish, textiles and graphic design. I'm achieving AAB grades with the B in Spanish at the moment but I absolutely hate Spanish. I want to drop it so badly but if I drop it I don't want to only get 2 A levels. Is it possible to drop this A level and pick up another in year 13 and remain at college an extra year to complete the second year of that qualification or not?
Reply 1
I'm in a similar situation where i dont like one of my a levels. So my plan is to finish year 12 and then in september go to college with completely different subjects and re-do year 12
The best advice is to stick it out for the rest of sixth form. I know you may hate Spanish, but if you're achieving a B at A-Level then your certainly not failing it by any standard! I think most students would love to finish sixth form with AAB as it opens a lot of doors for university of employment.

Some colleges (like my old one) used to offer fast-track A-Levels for people who dropped one at the end of Year 12 and started a new one in Year 13. It meant a very intensive second year learning an entire new A-Level in half the time, and it was only for people who had failed the A-Level they dropped in Year 12 exams. Maybe ask your sixth form about that if you really do hate Spanish.
Original post by philcgreen
Is it possible to drop this A level and pick up another in year 13 and remain at college an extra year to complete the second year of that qualification or not?

With regards to staying at sixth form longer, this would be a really bad decision imo. Do you really want to spend three years studying for your A-Levels and falling behind your peers when you're already achieving AAB? I've never heard of anybody repeating a year like that, certainly not because you merely dislike one of your subjects.

Stick at it for another year and you can start university or work at the right time - I think you may regret dropping Spanish, especially if you finish sixth form with 2 qualifications rather than 3.

Quick Reply

Latest