Do we need the Royal family

Watch
Chathelp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do we still need a monarchy? What do they contribute or do? And why is our tax money going towards this and why are people okay with it? Shouldn't money going towards the monarchy go somewhere like NHS instead? Your thoughts..
Chathelp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do we still need a monarchy? What do they contribute or do? And why is our tax money going towards this and why are people okay with it? Shouldn't money going towards the monarchy go somewhere like NHS instead? Your thoughts..
Euroliberal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No we don’t
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One of few issues I'm on the fence on. Will and Kate seem like good people who are positive role models for society.

I can't really think of any good reason to keep them other than maintaining tradition for its own sake ... At least now Meghan and Harry have gone the descent into the royals becoming even more glorified taxpayer funded celebrities has been halted.
. . . . .

That said I think the Andrew thing has been hugely toxic for them. It's hard to imagine that he isn't being protected and I suspect we've only seen the tip of the iceberg as far as that guy is concerned.
thatcollegegirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chathelp)
This is literally the subject of my EPQ hahah
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They are a symbol of tradition and decorum set against a society in flux. They perform constant ceremonial and charity duties.

Your tax money goes towards their upkeep in exchange for the state making use of the Crown Estate and because they are profitable. Their funding is perhaps the most easily defeated republican argument in that context.

People are okay with the monarchy because the only time they see them is usually when they are doing something dutiful and moreover they prevent the election of yet another snivelling beaurocrat.

In short, other than being able to virtue signal there is not really any likely benefit that would arise from becoming a republic, it would be the definition of change for changes sake, a needless change'.
username5252758
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No we don't.

That the head of state, no matter how ceremonial, is decided by birth rather than merit is at odds with the aspirational society that I'd like to see Britain become.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean, do we really need you?

+ the money argument has been done to death, and the outcome is always the same: They generate more money for the country than they cost. If your argument is purely financial, and for the NHS, then keeping them is beyond an obvious choice.

For me the argument to get rid of them is ideological, not financial.
Yukikobestgirl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it's a classist institution so should go. I don't like the whole "chosen by god" thing it's really gross and gaining incredible wealth for existing is crazy. There's a really good Shaun video on the subject

Also would like to add they haven't really done much for people during the pandemic despite having a large amount of capital. If they have to exist they should actively serve the people not the other way around.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Politically speaking, no. The country can very easily be governed without a monarch. The head of state, who is currently the Queen, could be replaced with the head of government, who is currently the Prime Minister.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yukikobestgirl)
I think it's a classist institution so should go. I don't like the whole "chosen by god" thing it's really gross and gaining incredible wealth for existing is crazy. There's a really good Shaun video on the subject

Also would like to add they haven't really done much for people during the pandemic despite having a large amount of capital. If they have to exist they should actively serve the people not the other way around.
What would you have them do in the Pand mic that they are not already. William and Kate are already touring to give thanks to front line workers.
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Your tax money goes towards their upkeep in exchange for the state making use of the Crown Estate and because they are profitable. Their funding is perhaps the most easily defeated republican argument in that context.
Yes I believe the Crown Estate also generates a significant share of their income by themselves also - they own loads of property and land across the country which is often rented. Especially land for agricultural use. There seems to be the assumption that taxpayers solely fund the family whereas they could probably survive on their own revenue.
Yukikobestgirl
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What would you have them do in the Pand mic that they are not already. William and Kate are already touring to give thanks to front line workers.
contribute their capital to the relief effort. Thanks is a token gesture really and the absoloute minimum someone in tha tposition should do imo.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JOSH4598)
Yes I believe the Crown Estate also generates a significant share of their income by themselves also - they own loads of property and land across the country which is often rented. Especially land for agricultural use. There seems to be the assumption that taxpayers solely fund the family whereas they could probably survive on their own revenue.
The payment they receive is in theory a proportion of the recent income of the crown estate plus a bit. I believe it gets renegotiated every three years.

Maintaining the palaces is actually quite expensive.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yukikobestgirl)
contribute their capital to the relief effort. Thanks is a token gesture really and the absoloute minimum someone in tha tposition should do imo.
Covid spending is more than 400bn, the amount they could reasonably provide in a one off payment would be maybe 400m.

They already fund huge amounts of charital endeavours.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd suggest the questions here are slightly loaded.

The answer is of course that we don't "need" a monarchy. We don't "need" a government, or indeed to live at all in any sort of society. However, constitutional monarchies have generally shown themselves to be quite stable and positive forms of government.

The financial stuff just seems to be silly. Any head of state - hereditary, elected, appointed or who successfully pulls a sword out of a stone - will cost money and need staff.
Yukikobestgirl
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Covid spending is more than 400bn, the amount they could reasonably provide in a one off payment would be maybe 400m.

They already fund huge amounts of charital endeavours.
I still think contributing a lot is important. They're in such a position of privilege to do nothing proactively at this time is immoral imo. Even if it's only a few million (oxymoron) it could make a big change in people's lives.
Yet they can afford to sit in their ivory tower whilst my mum has to go to work and possibly catch COVID. Swerve the queen and her family.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (190)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (552)
14.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (518)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (188)
4.99%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (225)
5.98%
Loneliness (316)
8.39%
Financial worries (138)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (146)
3.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (214)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (336)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (354)
9.4%

Watched Threads