Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how did everyone find the P3 exam today??

i HATED the vector question. *urgh*

ReputationRep:
    can any 1 remember what they got?

and working for qu 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    can any 1 remember what they got?

and working for qu 6
    q 6 was??

ReputationRep:
    differentiation,

ReputationRep:
    hm... think i was pretty unsuccessful with that! only managed to make it thru a couple of the questions, most of them i had to leave the last parts of it joyous!

ReputationRep:
    Question 2 was also exteremly difficult esp. the first part

ReputationRep:
    left out most of q 3

ReputationRep:
    does anyone remember the answer for the last part of the very last ques of the paper.....it was to find the value of y

ReputationRep:
    the only thing i know is that the x cord of q was 11.75. 6/75 for me!!!

ReputationRep:
    I got y=1/[e^(pi/6)-1]
    Area of parallelogram = root(675)
    On the parametric question: x coordinate was 47/4. I realise that I cocked the area up but what I did was integrate between curve and y axis (int x dy) and then take that from the area of the quadrilateral bit. I knew what I had to do and I drew it on the diagram and then I went and wrote Integral y dx. Arrrggh. C'est la vie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    I got y=1/[e^(pi/6)-1]
    On the parametric question: x coordinate was 47/4. I realise that I cocked the area up but what I did was integrate between curve and y axis (int x dy) and then take that from the area of the quadrilateral bit. I knew what I had to do and I drew it on the diagram and then I went and wrote Integral y dx. Arrrggh. C'est la vie.
    i got the same area for the parallelogram as well i think

yup i got the same x-cor-ord too

but the paper was messed up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinan)
    does anyone remember the answer for the last part of the very last ques of the paper.....it was to find the value of y
    thought the exam was well hard.... the vector question part c and d were well dodgy.

So was the differential equation bit. i done half of the proof part but then left it. The second part was wierd as well. Got y/y+1 = e (something) but how the hek r u meant to have only y =??? i found c to be something along the lines 1/2ln2 -ln 2????

i think i screwed up the other integration question as well even tho it was simple.... the last part of that one i got something like 9/8 for the area????

ther was a nine mark question as well wasn't there? n e one remember what that was about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKe)
    thought the exam was well hard.... the vector question part c and d were well dodgy.

So was the differential equation bit. i done half of the proof part but then left it. The second part was wierd as well. Got y/y+1 = e (something) but how the hek r u meant to have only y =??? i found c to be something along the lines 1/2ln2 -ln 2????

i think i screwed up the other integration question as well even tho it was simple.... the last part of that one i got something like 9/8 for the area????

ther was a nine mark question as well wasn't there? n e one remember what that was about?
    *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    It was harder than any past paper I'd done. For the parallelogram I cheated my ass off. As I'm a big swot I read ahead and I've read the vectors chapter in P6. The area of the parallelogram was 2*(0.5|OB||OD|sin(t)) or something. I recognised that as the modulus of the vector product (like dot product only you get a vector as your answer) and there's a way of calculating that from the determinant of a matrix. I did the question in about 3 lines (3 lines of a 3x3 matrix that is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    I got y=1/[e^(pi/6)-1]
    for the integration one i integrated up to P(5,9) or something, then added the area of the triangle from 5 to 11.75 with height 9.... any one know if that sounds rite???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKe)

y/(y+1) = e

y = ey + e

y - ey = e

y(1-e) = e

y = e/(1-e)

I don't know what the question was, or if it would matter, though.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    y/(y+1) = e

y = ey + e

y - ey = e

y(1-e) = e

y = e/(1-e)

Ben
    at least we're not alone with messing up. hope the grade boundaries would go down.

ReputationRep:
    I left all Q2 except half the first part blank. I needed more time!

In the last question I got y=sqrt[2]/(e^pi/6 - sqrt[2]), but I probably made an arithmetic slip somewhere cause I did it in like 5mins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    y/(y+1) = e

y = ey + e

y - ey = e

y(1-e) = e

y = e/(1-e)

Ben
    shite...... how did i not see that?????

ReputationRep:
    The area can't have been 9/8. Far too small. let's see if I remember:
    x = t² + 1
    y = 3t + 3
    Area = 9[(5 + 47/4)/2] - Int (from y = 0 to 9) x dy
    = 603/8 - Int(from t = -1 to 2) x dy/dt dt
    = 603/8 - Int(from t = -1 to 2) (3t²+3) dt
    = 603/8 - [ ((2)³+3(2)) - ((-1)³+3(-1))
    = 603/8 - [ 14 - (-4)]
    = 459/8

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 11, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.