The Student Room Group

LSE/USC(Global Media and Communication) Versus NYU(Media, Culture, and Communication)

Hi,

I’ve been accepted in LSE and USC’s dual M.A./MSc in Global Media and Communication and am still waiting to hear back from NYU’s Media, Culture, and Communication M.A. degree program.

Both programs are two years and quite similar. It seems like the USC year of the dual degree program will be more practical/professional and the LSE year will be a bit more theoretical, while both years at NYU will be quite theoretical/academic. LSE/USC seems to be ranked higher, but I’m still debating between both programs (assuming I’m accepted in NYU).

I aspire to a career in communication within the United Nations or a similar humanitarian organization.

I would love to hear any thoughts or advice.
Hi. I don’t really have any ideas about the US courses however they are probably the best places to study film/media production (Practical) in the world.

If you want a more theory based course LSE might be better, however you’ll almost certainly have better employment prospects if you go to USC/NYU due to the having a slightly better reputation than LSE. In terms of working for the UN a more theory based course may be better as it is a more theory based job as opposed to using cameras and stuff however if you get into NYU you’ve got to consider going as the UN headquarters is literally in New York City! Consider work experience opportunities throughout the course as well. Also bare in mind the fees of the two courses (how can you afford to study in the US, especially New York?!)
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Hi. I don’t really have any ideas about the US courses however they are probably the best places to study film/media production (Practical) in the world.

If you want a more theory based course LSE might be better, however you’ll almost certainly have better employment prospects if you go to USC/NYU due to the having a slightly better reputation than LSE. In terms of working for the UN a more theory based course may be better as it is a more theory based job as opposed to using cameras and stuff however if you get into NYU you’ve got to consider going as the UN headquarters is literally in New York City! Consider work experience opportunities throughout the course as well. Also bare in mind the fees of the two courses (how can you afford to study in the US, especially New York?!)

Didn’t realise that they were dual degrees, my bad. The NYU course and LSE/USC degrees are separate courses, my apologies
Reply 3
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Didn’t realise that they were dual degrees, my bad. The NYU course and LSE/USC degrees are separate courses, my apologies

Yes! The LSE program begins in London then the second year is at USC in LA.
I'm actually American. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of both programs.
Original post by uknodavibez
Yes! The LSE program begins in London then the second year is at USC in LA.
I'm actually American. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of both programs.

I’m not sure and ultimately it’s your choice but if fees/travel costs aren’t an issue, I would go for LSE/USC if you want a more academic course and NYU if you want a more practical media course. I still feel that NYU would be vastly superior in terms of job/employment/internship prospects than LSE/USC!

Good luck with either of the courses your chose. They both sound like fantastic options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending