The Student Room Group

GCSE French vs German vs Spanish

Hi,
My school does all three of german, french and spanish,
I was wondering if any are easier/better? And what would you pick and why?
Reply 1
Personal opinion - German. Only because I'd done the other two before, and I personally found German more interesting.
I'm doing German and Spanish for GCSE, and I really enjoy them both - but German is my favourite. I think the hardest part about German for most people is word order/ case, which aren't really an issue in Spanish. And for me the most difficult parts about Spanish were tenses/moods. But if you put in the time then you'll get to grips with whichever language you choose. Just go with the one you are better at or the one you like the most.
Original post by nm12345
Personal opinion - German. Only because I'd done the other two before, and I personally found German more interesting.

Thanks for your opinion... :biggrin: I personally currently enjoy German more as well
Original post by Rebeccamaurier
I'm doing German and Spanish for GCSE, and I really enjoy them both - but German is my favourite. I think the hardest part about German for most people is word order/ case, which aren't really an issue in Spanish. And for me the most difficult parts about Spanish were tenses/moods. But if you put in the time then you'll get to grips with whichever language you choose. Just go with the one you are better at or the one you like the most.

Thanks for your opinion ☺️
Let's start with GCSE French

Benefits
Better ability to survive in France etc
A chance to learn another language properly
A handy qualification under your belt at the end of the day
Improved understanding of the way of life and sort of culture of France
More chances and more life opportunities to work in French speaking areas of the world

German
A qualification to use to your advantage
Improved overall understanding of the type of culture that defines Germany
Higher order thinking powers and honed communication skills
More study and work options for going abroad
Better chance of survival in the German speaking world
Increased empathy.. sort of

Spanish
as above

Good luck!
I really love Spanish and haven’t done French since year 8 (never did German). I think Spanish is the easiest from what I have heard of the other two, but German seems more interesting according to other people.
If you think you might want to do something to do with languages in the future then I would recommend doing two languages because it gives you more opportunities in the future.
What languages are you currently studying?
Spanish and German are both phonetic so spelling isn’t too bad. If you have a background in Latin or other romance languages then Spanish is way easier. More people speak Spanish as well so you have that benefit if you want to communicate with people. Ultimately it comes down to which language you like the most cause that will make it easier to learn/you’ll be more willing to revise.
Original post by Caz1234567
What languages are you currently studying?

I currently do latin, Spanish, french and German in school
Original post by tinygirl96
Let's start with GCSE French

Benefits
Better ability to survive in France etc
A chance to learn another language properly
A handy qualification under your belt at the end of the day
Improved understanding of the way of life and sort of culture of France
More chances and more life opportunities to work in French speaking areas of the world

German
A qualification to use to your advantage
Improved overall understanding of the type of culture that defines Germany
Higher order thinking powers and honed communication skills
More study and work options for going abroad
Better chance of survival in the German speaking world
Increased empathy.. sort of

Spanish
as above

Good luck!

Thanks! Definitely helps!
np
Original post by Smouncher
I really love Spanish and haven’t done French since year 8 (never did German). I think Spanish is the easiest from what I have heard of the other two, but German seems more interesting according to other people.
If you think you might want to do something to do with languages in the future then I would recommend doing two languages because it gives you more opportunities in the future.

Okay... Thanks, might do two languages but hopefully it won't be too hard then...:biggrin:
Original post by gideonn
Spanish and German are both phonetic so spelling isn’t too bad. If you have a background in Latin or other romance languages then Spanish is way easier. More people speak Spanish as well so you have that benefit if you want to communicate with people. Ultimately it comes down to which language you like the most cause that will make it easier to learn/you’ll be more willing to revise.

Hi
I do latin in school.
Yep I realized that German and Spanish are way easier to pronounce.
I will definitely think over. Thanks :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by blackroses.4
Hi
I do latin in school.
Yep I realized that German and Spanish are way easier to pronounce.
I will definitely think over. Thanks :smile:

Im doing a levels in both latin and spanish. Theres a lot of similarities that make some of the learning easier. I did french for a few years but dropped it before gcses, and I'd recommend spanish if you;re choosing one of them. For me I liked the culture associated with Spain, and its significance around the world. big language in multiple continents, whereas German and French are much less widely spoken and more restricted to a smaller area.
Hey - I did both GCSEs and A-Levels in French and Spanish. They both have Latin derivation, so they certainly have many similarities and you'd see this when studying them. I think they have about 75% lexical similarity. I found learning about both cultures fascinating and it's even better when you get to actually visit the countries and speak with natives.

French and Spanish are both among the most widely spoken languages in the world. Spanish is the fourth most spoken language, spoken by approximately 538 million people, and French is the fifth most spoken language in the world, with around 276 million speakers. So this is certainly advantageous in terms of job prospects.

In terms of ease, it depends. I found French and Spanish quite easy to learn together because of the lexical similarity. However, for someone else, this could be the cause of confusion. E.g. "homme" in French and "hombre" in Spanish (both meaning "man") or "entrer"/"entrar" (both meaning "to enter"). It also depends on how much you want to be challenged. French grammar is slightly easier than German I believe. I suspect the same with Spanish.

Honestly, it's a very personal choice. Have a listen to each language, in both spoken form and also musically. Look into the culture, maybe even some literature if you find that important. Learn a little bit of the grammar to begin with. Formulate an opinion. This will help you get a glimpse of what the language study will be like before fully committing to it. I much preferred French and Spanish phonology to that of other languages, like German, for example. Hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
I did GCSE French and German and I found French easier but German more enjoyable. I have also learn a bit of Spanish (not for GCSE) and it is definitely the easiest language out of the three so I suspect it would be the easiest one to do well in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending