The Student Room Group

University of Leeds vs University of Reading for food science

University of Leeds vs University of Reading for food science (technology)

Which uni is more desirable for employers? Leeds is part of the Russell group (15th in the UK), and I guess it is more internationally known. In contrast, Reading has a strong Food Science department and is quite good compared to other unis (28th in the UK). Also, I'm an undergrad student in Reading, so I guess it'll be easier to pursue my postgrad studies in Reading (?)

As for entry requirements, Reading will require me to get a 2:2 in a pure / applied science subject, whereas Leeds will require a 2:1 in a relevant subject. I’m studying biochemistry so I’m not sure if that counts as a relevant subject in Leeds.

And as you can tell, I'm looking forward to do my master's

Thank you in advance!
Original post by yesayas
University of Leeds vs University of Reading for food science (technology)

Which uni is more desirable for employers? Leeds is part of the Russell group (15th in the UK), and I guess it is more internationally known. In contrast, Reading has a strong Food Science department and is quite good compared to other unis (28th in the UK). Also, I'm an undergrad student in Reading, so I guess it'll be easier to pursue my postgrad studies in Reading (?)

As for entry requirements, Reading will require me to get a 2:2 in a pure / applied science subject, whereas Leeds will require a 2:1 in a relevant subject. I’m studying biochemistry so I’m not sure if that counts as a relevant subject in Leeds.

And as you can tell, I'm looking forward to do my master's

Thank you in advance!

Reading is THE place to do Food Tech and there is a very strong network of Reading Food Tech alumnae in the UK. It doesn't have a reputation for anything else, but within the industry its about as strong as it gets.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Reading is THE place to do Food Tech and there is a very strong network of Reading Food Tech alumnae in the UK. It doesn't have a reputation for anything else, but within the industry its about as strong as it gets.

Will my degree be more internationally respected if it comes from Leeds though?
Original post by yesayas
Will my degree be more internationally respected if it comes from Leeds though?

Is your first job going to be overseas and not in the food industry then?
Hey!I got into both of these Universities too! And I'm having the same trouble as to which university to pick. Considering your query was a year ago, I'm guessing you've made a choice?
Reply 5
Original post by LightYagami3609
Hey!I got into both of these Universities too! And I'm having the same trouble as to which university to pick. Considering your query was a year ago, I'm guessing you've made a choice?

Yeah I've decided to stay in Reading
Reply 6
Original post by yesayas
Yeah I've decided to stay in Reading

Can I ask if you’re happy with the choice you made? I’m currently deciding between Reading, Leeds, and Surrey.
Original post by ldoh
Can I ask if you’re happy with the choice you made? I’m currently deciding between Reading, Leeds, and Surrey.

Hey @ldoh,

If you have any questions about studying here at Reading feel free to ask - we'll be more than happy to help!

Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student
Reply 8
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @ldoh,
If you have any questions about studying here at Reading feel free to ask - we'll be more than happy to help!
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student

Hi Kat, would you be able to tell me about what the support is like for masters students at Reading? I have seen other university programmes have personal tutors assigned for MSc students who meet with them through the year; is there something similar/comparable at Reading? I spoke with someone who recently completed this masters there and they said, while the curriculum was good, extra support/meetings with professors was something you really had to go out of your way to ask for, and mental health support was somewhat lacking. Would appreciate your input.
Original post by ldoh
Hi Kat, would you be able to tell me about what the support is like for masters students at Reading? I have seen other university programmes have personal tutors assigned for MSc students who meet with them through the year; is there something similar/comparable at Reading? I spoke with someone who recently completed this masters there and they said, while the curriculum was good, extra support/meetings with professors was something you really had to go out of your way to ask for, and mental health support was somewhat lacking. Would appreciate your input.

Good afternoon @Idoh,

Regarding the MSc personal tutor, you will be assigned an academic tutor; they will be accessible throughout your time at the university. At least once a term, you can meet with your academic tutor to discuss any questions you may have. For more information concerning the academic tutors, you can find more information here.

Overall, the University of Reading has various mental health and support services for students, including free counselling and initiatives aiming to help students. For example, this month, the Student union is hosting `Take a Break`, where all students are encouraged to put themselves first during the examination period. There is an array of free events occurring across campus, such as therapy dog sessions and crafting. More information on the support services at the University of Reading can be found here.

It is a great idea to talk to Vanessa; she is currently studying MSc Food Systems and will be able to answer specific queries about the course.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

All the best,
Ella

BSc Ecology and Wildlife Conservation

(edited 3 weeks ago)
Reply 10
Original post by UniofReading
Good afternoon @Idoh,
Regarding the MSc personal tutor, you will be assigned an academic tutor; they will be accessible throughout your time at the university. At least once a term, you can meet with your academic tutor to discuss any questions you may have. For more information concerning the academic tutors, you can find more information here.
Overall, the University of Reading has various mental health and support services for students, including free counselling and initiatives aiming to help students. For example, this month, the Student union is hosting `Take a Break`, where all students are encouraged to put themselves first during the examination period. There is an array of free events occurring across campus, such as therapy dog sessions and crafting. More information on the support services at the University of Reading can be found here.
It is a great idea to talk to Vanessa; she is currently studying MSc Food Systems and will be able to answer specific queries about the course.
I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
All the best,
Ella
BSc Ecology and Wildlife Conservation

Thanks so much for the further information and links. I will talk with Vanessa as well as you suggested. 😊 Also, I am looking for accommodation and specifically have been looking for studio accommodation. I have seen listings on Amber Student but wondering if you have any experience with them or any other suggestions for reliable places to search.
Looking at the stats, Reading would appeal to me if I was doing that subject.
Original post by ldoh
Thanks so much for the further information and links. I will talk with Vanessa as well as you suggested. 😊 Also, I am looking for accommodation and specifically have been looking for studio accommodation. I have seen listings on Amber Student but wondering if you have any experience with them or any other suggestions for reliable places to search.

Good morning @Idoh,
Its great to here that your going to discuss things further with Vanessa 🙂

Regarding accommodation, studio apartments can be a great option for students. While I don't have any direct experience with Amber Student, I can suggest some insights and alternatives.

Firstly, it is always a good idea to check out our university's own accommodation options. The University of Reading offers various types of accommodation including halls, townhouses, studios etc. You can check out the types of accommodation we offer here. I have had experience with our university halls this year which I would definitely recommend as a great and very reliable option.

Additionally, you may also want to look at other platforms known for their student-friendly services. Whilst I don't have any direct experience with these platforms, some common ones used are Homes for Students found here and Prestige Student Living found here. I hope that these are helpful whilst you're searching for accommodation.

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions. Best of luck with your accommodation search, I hope you find what your looking for!

Millie 🙂
BSc International Development

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending