The Student Room Group

How to balance macros (vegan) in calorie deficit?

Hi guys.

So as a lot of people have, I gained a few pounds around the start of uni and the start of the first lockdown. I was 195 pounds in late Feb, which I’ve managed to get down to about ~190 now in a calorie deficit (~1500 kcal/day) alongside moderate exercise. I’m 5’7.5 and male, age 20.

I used to consume around 3000 or more calories a day, hence I made quite a drastic initial change which I will be increasing slightly to make more sustainable and safe. One thing that has concerned me is balancing macros on a calorie deficit. I used to never struggle with iron, and protein, as a vegan, however when cutting back on calories I feel I’ve also cut down on nutrients.

My macros are very off at the moment - approx 70% carb 10-15% fat 15-20% protein. What should I aim for to maintain good health on a calorie deficit, and what are the best sources of protein to increase the % protein without increasing calories too much? And if anyone has any tips on working in more dietary plant based iron on a deficit please share - I used to get plenty through plant based meat alternatives but I tend to have these less now.

** please no comments about eating meat or making this a vegan vs anti vegan argument please!! **
There aren't really any good low carb high protein sources that don't come from animal products.

I guess you'll need supplements - protein and iron. Add vitamin D while you're at it since many people are deficient.
Reply 2
I guess you should buy some kind of vegan protein powder, that will help. Also, i advise you not to be in a too agressive calorie deficit to start. stay in perhaps 2000 calories, that will help you get more protein. You should ideally get one gram of protein per pound of muscle tissue. Since you have stated you are 195 pounds, I think you should have about 150 grams protein on an estimate. Soya granules are an amazing form of protein as well. Maybe vegan greek yogurt if you could find some? It's definitely tough to get protein in as a vegan, but not impossible. Don't rely on protein powders that much though. Definitely get cardio in- i always advise skipping as its time efficient. even 15 mins of skipping burns a ton of calories. Don't be on too much of a deficit as that might make you feel weak. Eating more protein will keep you highly satiated as well ie. you wont feel hungry. Hope this helped you!
Original post by Prakrrit
I guess you should buy some kind of vegan protein powder, that will help. Also, i advise you not to be in a too agressive calorie deficit to start. stay in perhaps 2000 calories, that will help you get more protein. You should ideally get one gram of protein per pound of muscle tissue. Since you have stated you are 195 pounds, I think you should have about 150 grams protein on an estimate. Soya granules are an amazing form of protein as well. Maybe vegan greek yogurt if you could find some? It's definitely tough to get protein in as a vegan, but not impossible. Don't rely on protein powders that much though. Definitely get cardio in- i always advise skipping as its time efficient. even 15 mins of skipping burns a ton of calories. Don't be on too much of a deficit as that might make you feel weak. Eating more protein will keep you highly satiated as well ie. you wont feel hungry. Hope this helped you!

There is no way to accurately measure muscle mass and you are confusing lean body mass with muscle tissue. Aiming for 2g/kg and getting at least 1.6g/kg is fine for most people.
Reply 4
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
There is no way to accurately measure muscle mass and you are confusing lean body mass with muscle tissue. Aiming for 2g/kg and getting at least 1.6g/kg is fine for most people.

that is why i used the term estimate. there isnt a way to measure the exact muscle mass but you can get a ballpark figure that is 10 g plus or minus your protein requirements. You've used a similar measurement to get protein in, therefore i do not see the need for confusion. Your estimation is right as well. If i would be off, it wouldnt be a major number to be off by tbh. Looking at your own body you can get some estimate of your body fat. Either way, it doesnt hurt to eat a larger portion of protein, it would probably keep you more satiated
Original post by Prakrrit
that is why i used the term estimate. there isnt a way to measure the exact muscle mass but you can get a ballpark figure that is 10 g plus or minus your protein requirements. You've used a similar measurement to get protein in, therefore i do not see the need for confusion. Your estimation is right as well. If i would be off, it wouldnt be a major number to be off by tbh. Looking at your own body you can get some estimate of your body fat. Either way, it doesnt hurt to eat a larger portion of protein, it would probably keep you more satiated

Yes so instead of u know estimating you can just use your bodyweight, the only situation where this could be problematic if someone was morbidly obese and it could be tough for then to get their protein in.
Reply 6
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Yes so instead of u know estimating you can just use your bodyweight, the only situation where this could be problematic if someone was morbidly obese and it could be tough for then to get their protein in.

or if they have more muscle mass than we perceive then the 1.6g per kg rule won't apply but hey thats probably not gonna happen because they'd need to be ripped for that at 195. Either way whatever works for them man, just happy to help
Original post by illusionz
There aren't really any good low carb high protein sources that don't come from animal products.

I guess you'll need supplements - protein and iron. Add vitamin D while you're at it since many people are deficient.

Being plant based bodybuilder I've found this one really handy to top up my protein intake https://wheyokay.com/biotech-usa-vegan-protein-500g-312-p.asp (not to creamy and not to sweet imo which is what I like)plus I'm supplementing vegan creatine..

Quick Reply

Latest