The Student Room Group

Lincoln or Durham

I've made my firm and Insurance choices (Durham & Lincoln) and am considering going to my insurance instead. I know that Durham is one of the best universities in the country and I may be being stupid turning this offer down but there are some issues I have with it which is making me thinking of picking Lincoln.

The stigma that Durham has can't really be ignored and as a non binary state educated person I feel that I may be in the firing line of the typical durham characters, which is obviously off putting. I also really value a good nightlife, yes i'm aware that you go to university to learn, however Durham seems to have a very slim and not great selection of bars and nightclubs, and this I feel like might ruin 'the university experience' as cringe as that sounds. Lincoln on the other hand seems like my kind of city and is essentially the biggest draw for me.

Lincoln does have TEF gold, and good student satisfaction, however I'm aware I would be turning down a top 5 university for a top 50 one. I do try to be mindful of league tables because they don't determine how good or bad a university experience might be, but it does give some food for thought. What do we think; turn down a top university that I don't know that i'll enjoy, or go to a sub-par university in comparison which seems more open and friendly?? I'm also aware I might have to put myself in clearing to get out of my firm choice, and this isn't an issue for me.
You seem to have already decided this - and since 'we' are not going to Uni, its entirely up to you to decide.
Durham is taking the criticisms that have been made very seriously. Click HERE to find out more.

Go to Durham, you will regret not going later on in life.
Original post by joshgeorgew
I've made my firm and Insurance choices (Durham & Lincoln) and am considering going to my insurance instead. I know that Durham is one of the best universities in the country and I may be being stupid turning this offer down but there are some issues I have with it which is making me thinking of picking Lincoln.

The stigma that Durham has can't really be ignored and as a non binary state educated person I feel that I may be in the firing line of the typical durham characters, which is obviously off putting. I also really value a good nightlife, yes i'm aware that you go to university to learn, however Durham seems to have a very slim and not great selection of bars and nightclubs, and this I feel like might ruin 'the university experience' as cringe as that sounds. Lincoln on the other hand seems like my kind of city and is essentially the biggest draw for me.

Lincoln does have TEF gold, and good student satisfaction, however I'm aware I would be turning down a top 5 university for a top 50 one. I do try to be mindful of league tables because they don't determine how good or bad a university experience might be, but it does give some food for thought. What do we think; turn down a top university that I don't know that i'll enjoy, or go to a sub-par university in comparison which seems more open and friendly?? I'm also aware I might have to put myself in clearing to get out of my firm choice, and this isn't an issue for me.

What is curious is why someone with the predicted grades to get into Durham also applied to Lincoln. There will be lots of unis that combine good academic reputations with more diversity than you see at Durham.

If you like small cities, York and Lancaster are two examples.

Isn’t it a bit unfair to paint the Durham community in a negative light? Are you sure that you will be safe or happy at Lincoln? Just because you have not heard stories does not mean that it does not exist.

I suggest that you have a good think before making a decision. Going to a top 5 uni may have longer term benefits after your uni. Don't play yourself. Good luck.

Hi @joshgeorgew,

As a third-year student at Lincoln, I have felt safe and comfortable in Lincoln as an ethnic minority group. Everyone here is open-minded and supportive from my experience. I have also really enjoyed my time at Lincoln, especially the clubbing and going out (missed out this year and last year because of COVID). Having others tell you what these places are like are just based on opinions, I would recommend visiting both cities and see which you feel most comfortable in or if you can see yourself spending 3 years there.

There are more than likely open days at both of these Universities, book to go and have a look around for yourself. Lincoln open days are listed here.

Just out of curiosity, what course will you be doing at University?

I hope this helped! If I can be of any more help, you can message me (or other students) on UniBuddy.
Stay safe and best of luck deciding.
Natt - 3rd Year Biomedical Science :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending