Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Why is it okay to promote all black casts and directors etc in tv shows and movies and not all white casts? Why is it okay to promote all female casts and directors etc in tv shows and movies and not all male casts?

Why is it okay to have all female run businesses and not all male run businesses? Why is it okay to have all black run businesses and not all white run businesses?

Why is society so full of double standards that discriminate against certain groups but people believe that this is okay?

And before people here accuse me of being a troll or super privileged or whatever, I am a Nigerian born black woman. These kinds of claims just increase discrimination and make black people and woman less accepted, and white people and men also more discriminated against. Positive discrimination is still discrimination and not positive at all.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why is it okay to promote all black casts and directors etc in tv shows and movies and not all white casts? Why is it okay to promote all female casts and directors etc in tv shows and movies and not all male casts?
Because when you don't, it is white men who get all the praise / pay rises / credit / status / publicity.

It really isn't rocket science.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
I think it's more about trying to fill in the gaps that we have in these sectors, there are greater opportunities for a man in business or for a Caucasian in the film industry so the idea of promoting it is really to try and bridge the gap that's there. It's not that we shouldn't promote also for a man or a Caucasian, it's just that there's less of a need as it tends to be easier for these people in those industries, they are already the ones who are dominating these fields so it's to try and give a leg up to those who don't have it as 'easy'.
We can't really deny that generally a white man has an easier time in life than a black woman so why not try and normalise the idea that we can have women in higher roles in a business, in well paid job positions and that we can have a people of colour being on tv somewhere that until really recently they only played the supporting characters or the antagonists
CJField
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Why is it okay to have all female run businesses and not all male run businesses? Why is it okay to have all black run businesses and not all white run businesses?

Why is society so full of double standards that discriminate against certain groups but people believe that this is okay?

And before people here accuse me of being a troll or super privileged or whatever, I am a Nigerian born black woman. These kinds of claims just increase discrimination and make black people and woman less accepted, and white people and men also more discriminated against. Positive discrimination is still discrimination and not positive at all.
I agree with you to a large extent however a lot of the promotion of black people and females in movies, workplaces etc is due to the fact that they are already under represented. Im not sure how often iv seen an entirely black or female agenda be promoted, but in areas where a particular group is under represented, there are rightfully campaigns to try and increase diversity as without them discrimination would still stand.
However the idea of taking on minorities or women just because of who they are, and not based on how good they are is definitely wrong in my opinion. I also agree that the stereotypes surrounding white men are just contradictory of what the people who say them want - equality
Anonymous #1
Because when you don't, it is white men who get all the praise / pay rises / credit / status / publicity.

It really isn't rocket science.
That’s not true. It’s all people. So you’re saying if there’s a group of say 5 people, 4 black women and one white man that he will get everything over them. Umm not true at all.
Anonymous #1
I think it's more about trying to fill in the gaps that we have in these sectors, there are greater opportunities for a man in business or for a Caucasian in the film industry so the idea of promoting it is really to try and bridge the gap that's there. It's not that we shouldn't promote also for a man or a Caucasian, it's just that there's less of a need as it tends to be easier for these people in those industries, they are already the ones who are dominating these fields so it's to try and give a leg up to those who don't have it as 'easy'.
We can't really deny that generally a white man has an easier time in life than a black woman so why not try and normalise the idea that we can have women in higher roles in a business, in well paid job positions and that we can have a people of colour being on tv somewhere that until really recently they only played the supporting characters or the antagonists
So let’s cut white people and men out of society then. That’s what these actions (not your personal words) say. Screw all white people and men, they’re all racist, sexist colonialists.
CJField
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So let’s cut white people and men out of society then. That’s what these actions (not your personal words) say. Screw all white people and men, they’re all racist, sexist colonialists.
that's not what this person has said. The point they are making is that often minorities and women face more difficulty in getting into desirable positions, so by making it a little easier, we are creating a more level playing field
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.27%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (133)
59.38%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.39%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.23%

Watched Threads