Trying to find friends is harder than I thought haha

Watch
pixieinnit
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay, so I finally decided on Bangor as my firm choice and I’ve joined all the relevant Facebook groups and things for freshers.

I’ve been trying to introduce myself so that I can start making friends or at least know people before I move there, I know a lot of people that have joined group chats and already made friends from their unis but I don’t even know how to go about finding a group chat or anything haha.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to meet new people before I go?
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
mathsalevels
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t worry too much about finding people before you go. Most people I’ve met I didn’t know before I got here.

Group chats will be made nearer the time for your course and accommodation so join them when you find them.
Bangor Uni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pixieinnit)
Okay, so I finally decided on Bangor as my firm choice and I’ve joined all the relevant Facebook groups and things for freshers.

I’ve been trying to introduce myself so that I can start making friends or at least know people before I move there, I know a lot of people that have joined group chats and already made friends from their unis but I don’t even know how to go about finding a group chat or anything haha.

Anyone know if there are any group chats for Bangor (I’m studying music) or have any suggestions on how to meet new people before I go?
Hi pixieinnit,

Congratulations on your offer, we're looking forward to meeting you in September

You'll shortly be receiving an email from our team that will invite you to download and register for our Campus Connect App. This app has all sorts of groups for our applicants to join. There will be a Music group as well as some groups around accommodation and hobbies for you to chat and get to know some other students who will be joining us in September.

We also have a Welcome Week which is a week full of activities before your course starts to help you meet and get to know people Make sure you keep an eye on our Campus Life (https://www.facebook.com/CampusLifeBangor/) and Students Union (https://www.facebook.com/BangorStudentsUnion) socials for some events that will be taking place.

It's good to remember that everyone will be in the same boat as you when starting University so making friends is really easy at Bangor!

See you soon!
Rhian
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hey pixieinnit

I thought I'd share my experience with you. I’m currently a student at Strathclyde studying on the Diploma program to become a lawyer. I was really nervous before I started uni as I moved away to study and lived three hours from my home city. Similar to mathsalevels, I didn’t know anyone on my course but I met lots of people when I got to uni

There’s lots of ways to make friends at uni either with people on your course, through the societies you join or flatmates if you're staying in halls. Most universities hold freshers events during the first week of the semester. Lots of societies attend freshers week so it's a great way to meet some of their members if you're interested in a particular society!

I had an induction the first day of freshers and I was really nervous about going along to it! I met two girls after a tutorial and we went along to all the freshers events that week. We became such good friends that we decided to flat share in second year so you'll never know who you'll meet at uni!

Hope this helps

Melissa- Student Ambassador
bunnyrabbit2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would anyone want to make friends as a frosh?
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi @pixieinnit,

Don't worry - there are plenty of people in the same boat! I know from personal experience that hearing others have joined chats, groups and organised plans can make you feel like your 'behind' or 'missing out', but it's often not the case. In fact, I didn't know anyone until my first day, and even then, it took time to get to know everyone. There is always going to be a few people who are lucky enough to know a friend from school, or from their flat, but give it a few months and before you know it, you know most people's name in your class. My best advice is to try and get to know your friends' friends - once you meet someone, make sure and make the effort to meet their friends, too! But before you join, don't feel like you have to have made best friends before you've even set foot on campus

James, University of Derby rep
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
IndigoScarf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey there!

I'm probably looking at Bangor for music too! It looks like such a great place!

I'm hopefully going to visit, but Bangor is looking like my number one!

University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like this Try not to be too disheartened about not making friends already - it's really challenging to make friends online! This was the same when I was about to start University, and I couldn't find any chats online / they were all too full. But, I did find that it does get much easier making friends in person - so try not to fret too much!! When in person, you get to chat with people in lectures, people on nights out, people in your dorms, people in the societies youre involved in etc. As long as you try as hard as you can to put yourself out there, then i'm sure you'll find it a lot easier than you think. If you find it quite challenging to start a conversation, or don't know what to say then try complimenting someone - that's what I do!

I hope that thats re-assured you!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (380)
14.8%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (285)
11.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (361)
14.06%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (120)
4.67%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.04%
Loneliness (218)
8.49%
Financial worries (94)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (225)
8.77%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (242)
9.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed