The Student Room Group

Scottish Highers/ Advanced Highers

I’m awaiting starting 6th year in Scotland and I’m worried about the subjects I’ve taken.

At higher I took English, Chemistry, Biology and History. My predicted grades are looking like AABB.

For 6th year I’ve chosen Advanced Higher Chemistry and English and Higher Psychology.

I’m worried because the entry requirements for the course I want to study sits at about AAAA at higher. If I do well on my advanced highers will this make up for the 2 B’s at higher? I’m not entirely sure of the worth of Advanced Highers now.
Reply 1
If you get a conditional offer for the course you want to do it may say 1A and a B at higher. Normally this does include an advanced higher at a lower grade or the same one but you may want to contact the universities you plan to apply to and double check. I applied this year and I am still confused about it lol. Also have a look at the minimum entry requirements or minimum for consideration. I think you will meet most universities minimum with those grades though.
Original post by Ototot
If you get a conditional offer for the course you want to do it may say 1A and a B at higher. Normally this does include an advanced higher at a lower grade or the same one but you may want to contact the universities you plan to apply to and double check. I applied this year and I am still confused about it lol. Also have a look at the minimum entry requirements or minimum for consideration. I think you will meet most universities minimum with those grades though.

Okay tysm! it’s all very confusing ahaha
Reply 3
Original post by hannahruss24
Okay tysm! it’s all very confusing ahaha

I know it’s so confusing but you’ve got a lots of time so I wouldn’t worry most people don’t send there application off until December. I sent mine in November and really regret it because the wait feels 10x longer
Is it AAAA in one sitting? If it's by the end of s6 that you need AAAA and you have achieved AABB in s5 you would need to take 2 more highers in s6 and get A's in them. Unfortunately for the majority of courses they don't care about what advanced highers you do but only if you meet the higher requirements.
Original post by bananas44
Is it AAAA in one sitting? If it's by the end of s6 that you need AAAA and you have achieved AABB in s5 you would need to take 2 more highers in s6 and get A's in them. Unfortunately for the majority of courses they don't care about what advanced highers you do but only if you meet the higher requirements.

Yeah it’s AAAA in one sitting or AAAAB over two. I think i’ll have to wait till i’m back in school and can get a meeting with my guidance teacher as I kind of panicked and put in my subject choice already. Because of my postcode i’m pretty sure I can get the minimum entry but I don’t want to bank on that incase anything changes. Thanks for you help!
Original post by Ototot
I know it’s so confusing but you’ve got a lots of time so I wouldn’t worry most people don’t send there application off until December. I sent mine in November and really regret it because the wait feels 10x longer

The wait must be awful. I really feel for people waiting. It seems like scottish unis take longer than england ahaha
Reply 7
Original post by hannahruss24
The wait must be awful. I really feel for people waiting. It seems like scottish unis take longer than england ahaha

They definitely do take longer lol. Hopefully next year for you it will be a much quicker process because covid should hopefully calmed down a bit. Most offers in a normal year get send in February apparently this year it’s just very delayed ahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending