NathanCr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,
I’m in year 10 and I’m looking at potential future careers and degrees. My school doesn’t offer GCSE computer science and it seems like something I’d be interested in. How easy is it to learn at home on my own? (Even this far through the year)
Thank you
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by NathanCr)
Hi,
I’m in year 10 and I’m looking at potential future careers and degrees. My school doesn’t offer GCSE computer science and it seems like something I’d be interested in. How easy is it to learn at home on my own? (Even this far through the year)
Thank you
You don't need to study GCSE CS to do A level ....
NathanCr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
It would definitely be beneficial right? And also the sixth form that is most convenient for me says it requires gcse computer science at grade 5.
Hydel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
most colleges/sixth forms don't require you do comp sci at GCSE, they just require you to get a good grade in maths, so I'm not sure what's up with the sixth form you're looking at. The closest you could probably get at teaching yourself though would be doing a program like Cyber Discovery - you work through stages and its focused around cyber security but so far through there's an 'essentials' stage which is like a textbook on a lot of things we cover in A-level comp sci. I'm sure there's probably other programs similar to this too which are less focused on the security aspects
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It would definitely be beneficial right? And also the sixth form that is most convenient for me says it requires gcse computer science at grade 5.
You don't even need A level CS to study it at uni. The sixth form will have an alternative requirement if you can't do GCSE CS; why not ask?
alevels21
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi,
Thank you
It is desirable to study computer science at GCSE, however, it isn't essential. You could self-learn the GCSE content, but the content is relatively similar. If you decide to do computer science at A-Level, it will be the same as GCSE, just more content. Potential careers can be cybersecurity, database administrator, systems analyst, games developer, and many more. The potential degree to do at uni: Computer Science. Cybersecurity careers are becoming more popular nowadays - go to https://cybergamesuk.com/. It has lots of games and information. Hope this helps!
Stressedpanda123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi,
Thank you
Yeah, i reckon that you could do computer science at home. I do computer science gcse (i'm near the end of yr 11) and we don't actually do much in the lessons apart from programming and then we learn the theory as homework.
For theory, craig'n'dave videos on youtube are quite good and then for programming, we use "Learning to program in python" by P.M heathcote and just go through the chapters and do the questions in it. It might also be good to find another book which has better projects as although this one is good for basics, the projects are a little bit dull. We also use an IDE called Thonny (which is free to download) although the normal python one is also fine.
I'm not sure how easy it would be to do at home (mainly because it can be hard to be motivated, especially after a long day at school), but once you get into it, it can actually be fun (especially the programming part).
Also the good thing about programming is that there are lots of websites like stack overflow which will help you when you get stuck. Good luck!
username5598102
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You can learn coding at home independently. I used a website called sololearn for Python but there are loads of other great ones out there. The theory would be useful if you are going to do a level but there's not much point in doing it now in yr10
SteveLMAOStomach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You don't? I chose it purely because I want to do it at A level and possibly at uni... It'll at least help though.
alevels21
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by SteveLMAOStomach)
You don't? I chose it purely because I want to do it at A level and possibly at uni... It'll at least help though.
It's preferable and it will be easier if you do it at GCSE. However, most of the theory is the same, just some new topics and more advanced.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Does your school off A level CS? If not then you'll need to change schools. Many unis still don't even require A level CS because many schools don't offer it. Maybe do some research on that?
SteveLMAOStomach
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Does your school off A level CS? If not then you'll need to change schools. Many unis still don't even require A level CS because many schools don't offer it. Maybe do some research on that?
I am at secondary RN. My secondary doesn't have a sixth form so yes I will have to change. I have done some research though.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am at secondary RN. My secondary doesn't have a sixth form so yes I will have to change. I have done some research though.
Look at your sixth form options - what requirements are there to study A level CS?
SteveLMAOStomach
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Look at your sixth form options - what requirements are there to study A level CS?
Not going to sixth form but College.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not going to sixth form but College.
That's what I mean by 'sixth form options'.
stillcrying
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you want to learn the GCSE content nice and easily, I’d suggest using Seneca Learning as it’s free and has all the exam boards too. It won’t teach you the practical part very well, but all the definitions and such it’s very good at teaching you. That’s what I used for my revision in Year 11 and I got a 7, after having a crap teacher for 2 years who didn’t teach us anything!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.59%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.21%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (58)
26.73%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.35%

Watched Threads