Differences in grade boundaries

Watch this thread
Cameron1144
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anyone help me understand why the grade boundaries that my teacher uses for class assessments is different from the latest ones published from the exam board? I am studying A Level Psychology with AQA and I’ve realised the grade boundaries used in college are different from the exam board ones. There is like a whole 10% difference, which is a lot on large exams like the mocks we have next week.

I have attached the correct grade boundaries for AQA below:
Name:  A20AE994-BDBF-4008-B4A3-E18A878F0E13.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  177.6 KB

It is the difference of 1 grade, for example i recently got 19/30 on my last test and this is 63.3%. I got marked as a B. The official AQA grade boundaries state an A is 62.8%, so I’m worried if my teacher keeps marking like this it will affect my final grade and i wont get what i need for uni. This is not the only test grade that has been affected like this, and there is more evidence, so i doubt its just a marking error.

Any help on understanding this or approaching the subject would be helpful. TIA
Last edited by Cameron1144; 1 year ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cameron1144)
Can anyone help me understand why the grade boundaries that my teacher uses for class assessments is different from the latest ones published from the exam board? I am studying A Level Psychology with AQA and I’ve realised the grade boundaries used in college are different from the exam board ones. There is like a whole 10% difference, which is a lot on large exams like the mocks we have next week.

It is the difference of 1 grade, for example i recently got 19/30 on my last test and this is 63.3%. I got marked as a B. The official AQA grade boundaries state an A is 62.8%, so I’m worried if my teacher keeps marking like this it will affect my final grade and i wont get what i need for uni.

I would ask your teacher if you could discuss this (in a polite open manor).
Also those percentages are for one paper specifically, it’s reasonable that on different tests/papers boundaries will change.
Last edited by mnot; 1 year ago
Cameron1144
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
I would ask your teacher if you could discuss this (in a polite open manor).
Also those percentages are for one paper specifically, it’s reasonable that on different tests/papers boundaries will change.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I have looked at all grade boundaries for the recent series and they are very similar, so I don’t know what to do. I have contacted my teacher but they said to use the ones they set. I’m conflicted because if they are not being fair to us, maybe this is why the whole class is failing LMAO
Hellllpppp
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

It is the difference of 1 grade, for example i recently got 19/30 on my last test and this is 63.3%. I got marked as a B. The official AQA grade boundaries state an A is 62.8%, so I’m worried if my teacher keeps marking like this it will affect my final grade and i wont get what i need for uni. This is not the only test grade that has been affected like this, and there is more evidence, so i doubt its just a marking error.

It’s normal for teachers to use different grade boundaries for class tests that are a different difficulty to exams so the grades of the class are a more normal distribution. My maths teacher uses 80% for an A instead of the 55% the exam board has used in the last two years. It’s in your teachers best interest to give out higher grades if there’s evidence this means it’s likely they have a good reason for this. If you’re mocks are full exam papers they’re more likely to use the grade boundaries set by exam board for that paper so maybe as well as asking their reasoning for the higher grade boundaries in past tests ask if they’re planning on using the grade boundaries set for the mock paper.
Last edited by Hellllpppp; 1 year ago
Cameron1144
Rep:
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
It’s normal for teachers to use different grade boundaries for class tests that are a different difficulty to exams so the grades of the class are a more normal distribution. My maths teacher uses 80% for an A instead of the 55% the exam board has used in the last two years. It’s in your teachers best interest to give out higher grades if there’s evidence this means it’s likely they have a good reason for this. If you’re mocks are full exam papers they’re more likely to use the grade boundaries set by exam board for that paper so maybe as well as asking their reasoning for the lower grade boundaries in past tests ask if they’re planning on using the grade boundaries set for the mock paper
Sorry i said the grade boundaries were much higher and more difficult to achieve for in-class tests, making the overall grades lower, my college doesn’t standardise the class tests, so idk why they are different. They use the same grade boundaries even for the whole mock papers so I’m still confused.
Hellllpppp
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Sorry i said the grade boundaries were much higher and more difficult to achieve for in-class tests, making the overall grades lower, my college doesn’t standardise the class tests, so idk why they are different. They use the same grade boundaries even for the whole mock papers so I’m still confused.
Yeah sorry I wrote lower instead of higher. So when you sat a full paper - what grade did you get according to it’s grade boundaries vs the teacher boundaries.
Cameron1144
Rep:
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
Yeah sorry I wrote lower instead of higher. So when you sat a full paper - what grade did you get according to it’s grade boundaries vs the teacher boundaries.
For the full paper 2 i did last year, i got 47/96 and got an E/ but the grade boundaries for this paper say i should have got a C. Idk why this teacher is making it so hard for us smh
Hellllpppp
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
For the full paper 2 i did last year, i got 47/96 and got an E/ but the grade boundaries for this paper say i should have got a C. Idk why this teacher is making it so hard for us smh
Yeah that is weird and probably a good example to use if the teacher doesn’t listen and you decide to go to management at your school/college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
28.97%
It went fairly well (239)
47.42%
It didn't go too well (76)
15.08%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed